Plug in hybrid thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At the risk of aggravating some, my wife had a self charging hybrid Yaris for just about 2 years. Yes she got pretty good MPG (probably averaging 50-60mpg) but the car would jump out of EV mode when you got to real world speed or went further than a couple of miles. It was also pretty gutless (because the engine for a hybrid is an Atkinson cycle and not Otto)’it doesn’t have the punch an equivalent size petrol engine has.Quite a few times my wife struggled when overtaking, so the car went a lot sooner than was intended.
The other thing with the full hybrid is you need to do enough longer journeys to keep the batteries charged. As on the other thread, a friend of mine has a Lexus RX full hybrid but as his journeys are now so short, the batteries never charge, so he is mainly running on petrol with really poor MPG.
At the end of the day, all hybrids are compromises, but I think we all now have to learn to make compromises with the decline of the ICE.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Or just buy a very up to date and efficient ICE.

Currently debating between a c/car that’s a hybrid which I don’t mind, and opt out to something I’d prefer that’s ICE