Motor homes

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Following on from the retirement thread, in a way, would love to be in a position financially to buy one of these in the next 10 years (if not sooner) or when we retire, but they’re a dear do for a nearly new one and a good one.

However, I’ve had this idea rattling around my head for a few years of buying one as a “share-group”, amongst another 2-3 other families. Between us would split the annual loan/running costs based on how much use and mileage used up so if you want premium weeks or decide to drive to Ulan Bator you would pay more. I’ve already sounded out a few others about this option, and similarly depending upon finances at the time there is an interest. Maybe the first year would be an equal advanced payment to everyone as an initial deposit then would pay the rest at the end of each year dependent on use.

So, it brings it onto advice on choosing and buying the actual motor home, which I don’t know much about. I went on a motor home forum a few months ago (rock and roll, I know :D) just to read up a little bit, and the maxim seemed to be, it’s only by the time you get to owning your third one have you picked the right one!!! Obviously with 3-4 families having an input, could be problematic, but by then most of the kids will have grown up, so will just be for 2-4 people in the main. I would have thought that getting your research done it will hope to short-cut buying the right one, first time, though.

The other question is it “my type” of holiday. I think it will be, as me and the missus often do 2 and 3 centre holidays, and aren’t beach lovers. We would love to drive around UK, Ireland and Europe having a few days in multiple places instead.

However, I once seen a stat saying that a third of people who go and live abroad end up coming back to the UK within 3 years. I also get the felling that this could be the same with people who buy motor homes, and they do a few holidays, then get bored or find out its not for them, and it sits there on the drive, or they end up selling at a big loss a few years later.

The prices to take them on a ferry also seem very high, are running costs also?

So has anyone got one, given it a go and regretted it or got any general pointers or even if they know someone who did it and loved it – negative and positive advice, if anyone has any.

Anything else to consider, off the top of my head:-

1. Engine size - is there a rule of thumb? 2 berth 1600 minimum, 4 berth 2.0 litre etc.....
2. Engine type - with diesels potentially being banned from city centres in the coming years, thinking petrol or hybrid may be best.
3. Dont they say get an extra 2 - 4 berth for 2 people, 6 berth for 4 people etc.
4. Is there a lot of faff? Toilet waste, staying outside city centres, so lots of public transport to get from campsite to centres.
5. Any other things to consider?
6. Pricing / servicing / running costs / ferry costs and does it save you in the long run, or not, if you did say 6 holidays a year.
7. Heve you done it yourself - loved it / loathed it.

I may have posted this before.....can't remember, at that funny age. :unsure:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guy at work wanted a VW camper van but the prices were so high

He bought a normal van and has converted into a camper van

Put in fold down seats in the rear

Installed a kitchen

Even put one of those roof sleeping areas in that fold out. He can sleep 4 in there now

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am looking at this currently, the wife and I were going to go down the VW Transporter route which is generally pretty expensive anyway because of the following they have but the prices have gone through the roof in the current COVID situation. I think to get the VW van we would want (including converting it) we would be looking at £30k, so I am starting to look at the more traditional (bigger motorhomes). Although you can fit 4 in the converted vans, I think that would be a bit uncomfortable, especially given the changeable weather we have in this country, a large awning with accomodation could solve that issue though. There are almost unlimited options with the VW vans in terms of accessories.

From what I have seen and the ones I have been in, I would suggest it is worth trying to rent one for a week to test out the layout you think you want. The outlay here is far less than the potential loss you would incur buying and then selling to buy a layout you prefer. This way you will understand what you liked/disliked about your preferred layout.

D

Deleted member 21258

In summary LOVED IT, had great times and memories. (we have had a small caravan and then moved onto a motorhome)

We had a motorhome swift sundance 590RS with a big bubble on the front 5.99m, 5 berth iirc, basically not a big one, but not a small normal van one and more than big enough for a family of 4. Not massively powerful, diesel, but was lovely to drive, comfortable, like driving a bus. Toilet waste is easy to do etc

Running costs like insurance/running costs/RFL not massive, think insurance was about £300 iirc, RFL normal and to get an MOT done you have to take it to the right place[not car mot place iirc])

We didn't use it enough after we moved, held onto it for 5-6 years iirc as couldn't let the dream go :LOL:, but sold it as decided to go Travelodge(which worked out less than running costs) and that a bigger camper wont work for us into the future with children grown up and wanting to visits golf clubs and drive around more and a it more parking on the road overnight.

I think a lot depends what you intend to use it for, if for touring and not staying on sites or not staying for very long, I think I would go for a 5.4m or shorter one for ease or driving down back lanes/parking in car parks and so on(whether you go small van or big van style depends [ie. your can go SWB/LWB normal van with Pop up or say a bigger van style[much nicer and easier to live with on longer stays])

If staying on sites then 5.99m is a nice size, has a toilet/shower room, perhaps nearer 4 proper berths.

I think we are shortly going to buy again and it will be we will be buying say a VW T5 or T6 in SWB or LWB, as we intend to move day to day, have easy parking, and no height restrictions.

Would suggest a Bike rack, as bikes are great to have with a camper.

Don't look to buy a homemade one as you don't know what you are buying. Also make sure you have electrical hook up and dual charging & solar panel, also some form of heating inside if you wish to use it in the cooler months.

Get yourself one of these(drool!) :-https://www.rolling-homes.co.uk/range/columbus

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a practical note, think about where you want to go and how the motorhome would fit with that. They are not the most agile of things and if you want to arrive at a destination and then visit villages, small towns etc then it may be tricky. I've seen a lot with small cars attached, they do that job when they arrive. My cousin bought one and then sold it after a year as he found that aspect too restricting. His fault for not thinking it through fully, he held his hands up.

They look great and I think it is a smashing idea if they can work for you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing to warn you about is check your driving licence.

Once you reach 70 years of age some of the things that may have been previously on your licence are taken off it and other restrictions are added. With motor homes you have to be very careful about weight and size.

I know of two people who were not aware of this and had to resell the motor home they had bought as a result.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a practical note, think about where you want to go and how the motorhome would fit with that. They are not the most agile of things and if you want to arrive at a destination and then visit villages, small towns etc then it may be tricky. I've seen a lot with small cars attached, they do that job when they arrive. My cousin bought one and then sold it after a year as he found that aspect too restricting. His fault for not thinking it through fully, he held his hands up.

They look great and I think it is a smashing idea if they can work for you.
This ^^^^

It was my mum & dad's dream to have one - and they got one. But after 3 or 4 years of fairly extensive use they decided it wasnt for them. They'd arrive at a destination, park up and sort themselves out. But then if they wanted to go visiting or exploring, they'd have to pack things away to go for their day out, then come back & set up again. In the end they sold it and got a caravan instead - which they used for about another ten years.. They said it was so much easier just to leave the van on site whilst taking the car out for the day. Obviously, you can get round it by towing a small car behind, or having small motorbikes or something. But I think I tend to agree with them, that tge caravan was the better option. (On the other hand, I really did like occasionally borrowing their motorhome as a base for my Scottish winter mountaineering trips. Sooooo much nicer than a cold, cramped tent ? )

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We spent 4wks doing 2500km driving the Queensland and North NSW coast in a rather old and bashed about 2 berth Toyota Hiace Hi Top. It was great fun - well I enjoyed it I think a bit more than my Mrs - but we both enjoyed the experience. The size of this very much smaller RV was rather limiting when it was pouring down outside. But it was great for just popping around in once we'd reached a site or moving site, as we didn't have anything really to unpack and set up and so to repack. Just the van - and for outside a little table and a couple of chairs.

We wouldn't do similar duration and distance in that size of RV/camper again. They aren't that expensive to buy - even in UK - and the Toyota engines go on for ever and ever (ours had done over 250,000 kilometres). Speaking to seasoned Aussie campervan travellers what some do is get to where they want to start travelling from - and buy one . Then when they are done - they sell it. They aren't tied in to any rental period and if they want to keep going they can - or cut short if they have to or want to.

But something I want to think about for when we have greater lengths of time to travel.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
love to get one too, but the cost are a bit eye watering for something that will just be sitting on the drive not being used most of the time.

be great for going to opens all over the country, got to be cheaper than paying for hotels and B&B. local place near us rents them out its about £100 a day

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My advice would be to buy the next berth size up ie of there’s 2 of you then get a 4 berth

We’ve got a 2 berth caravan and while it’s great our next one will be a 4 berth

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt buy one.
They are generally too big for our smaller roads, some camp sites dont like them, you park up get everything ready and have to pack everything away next time you want to go somewhere and they are the current preferred transport of the travelling fraternity(the younger less traditional ones).
I can also see issues arising between the parties concerned about who should pay what etc. Who would own it and be the legal keeper and be responsible for it?

I would say if you have the spare cash and won't miss the money then buy one yourself, but I doubt you would get value for money out of it. I wouldnt be buying one in a group as you suggest, that is fraught with complications anywhere down the line.
If you want a mobile home to take away, then a caraven with suitable car is the better option...IMO that is:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife and I went through all the decisions about having one and bought a caravan instead.

One of the things is that if it is your only vehicle you are paying for your holidays 365 days of the year. Nipping down to the local shops gets very expensive.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When the kids were young we had a 10ft 4 berth touring caravan with an awning for extra space. Easy to tow and park up then use the car to go into town or just go sightseeing.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those who it works for its far better than a caravan.

I’m from a motor home family and we would do three week tours of Scotland in it over the summer, never any issues as we got it down to a fine art.

My parents still have theirs and just go off for quick jaunts at the moment but will tour a bit too.

Join a club (C&M is best) and very few sites couldn’t accommodate you well.

I never recall any issues with day trips but I would guess that was down to the planning and it being a good fit for our family.

I think there are people who just won’t ever get on with a van, they do holidays in a way that works best with B&Bs, tents or caravans.

There are some who can’t stand the issues of caravans and would only motorhome.

I also don’t agree with getting one too big, if there are two of you strongly lean to getting a 2 berth unless you are going to use the extra beds for family or visitors often. Often it’s better just to have visitors take a car and stay in a local B&B as they you get the benefits of time apart, a car and if they are not camping people they get a room to sleep in!

In the end motorhome vs caravan is more personal than putter choice!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Friends of ours have just got a converted VW one. As nice and well put together as it is, it is simply too small for me to contemplate one; they just feel so claustrophobic.

I could be tempted (for tempted, read "instructed by Mrs. BiM") to try one in the States at some point given the size of them, but not for me over here, thank you.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Apparently a lot of them don't come with air con as standard. Not even in the front, so in the weather recently, you sweat buckets driving it. Daft.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread......

Has anyone got experience of a VW California, planning on getting one for weekends away etc.
Seems like it will be decent for daily use as well.
I'm not really wanting to go the conversion route of a Transporter.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread......

Has anyone got experience of a VW California, planning on getting one for weekends away etc.
Seems like it will be decent for daily use as well.
I'm not really wanting to go the conversion route of a Transporter.

My boss has a California, they are expensive but they are very good. Everything is in the right place and they just work, with lots of subtle touches that make the difference in quality over a converted van.