The all things EV chat thread

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thought i share my experience. Had my tesla model 3 rwd for 18months. Did 36k miles mainly local driving with couple one day 300 miles trips.
Last weekend was going for 1000 miles round trip to play golf with my mates at the course where I start playing golf.
Was positively surprised with range and charging. Trip was from North of Aberdeen to Shifnal in Shropshire.
Left home with 100% charge, first charge was at Larkhall and it took 11 minutes second one at Penrith/Tebay and that took 17 minutes.
That was all the charging for 460 miles and arrived with 15%, would be higher but spent almost 2h in traffics from Preston to Stoke on Trent.
Hotel I was staying didn't have any chargers so went next day to local supercharger and that took 40 minutes to fully charge the car.
Next charge was on Sunday on the way back at Chorley took 10 minutes and the final one was at Larkhall 22 minutes.
Next time will probably book hotel with charging facility apart from that it was smooth drive.
5 charges and over an hour and a half waiting around for one trip?…Sorry but colour me unimpressed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5 charges and over an hour and a half waiting around for one trip?…Sorry but colour me unimpressed.

It's not one trip though

It's 460 miles one way in which he did the whole trip with 2 breaks totalling just under 30 mins

The only one that sounds slightly inconvenient is the 40 min charge the next day

On the trip home he did 2 stops again for 32 mins

That's a lot of driving and milage with not much stopping. For charging. Well played @adasko , what was the total cost? My may costs come in at 42 miles total for the Kona, total costs to charge £1.67, the Kia did 1274 miles did £6.94 at home charging then £37.44 away from home. Just under £45 to to 1274 miles I'll take that

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Total trip was 988 miles and I used 212 KWh average use of 215wh/mi driving 70mph unless in traffic.
Total cost was nothing as I still have some free miles from Tesla. If I have to pay it would be around 60 pounds. Superchargers were around 34p per KWh.
40 min charge was me being lazy, if I went there before going to the hotel it probably only took 20 min. In the morning battery was cold so took longer to charge.
I normally do about 2k a month and charging at home cost me around 40 pounds.
If you drive 460 miles without stoping then hats off to you. On the way back I've stopped 5 times only 2 of them was for charging rest was for the toilet and food.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Total trip was 988 miles and I used 212 KWh average use of 215wh/mi driving 70mph unless in traffic.
Total cost was nothing as I still have some free miles from Tesla. If I have to pay it would be around 60 pounds. Superchargers were around 34p per KWh.
40 min charge was me being lazy, if I went there before going to the hotel it probably only took 20 min. In the morning battery was cold so took longer to charge.
I normally do about 2k a month and charging at home cost me around 40 pounds.

If you drive 460 miles without stoping then hats off to you. On the way back I've stopped 5 times only 2 of them was for charging rest was for the toilet and food.

I’m assuming that’s in the Tesla network for charging while on the road and an octopus style tariff at home?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
That's 4.65 miles/kWh, which is spectacularly good economy.
How do Teslas achieve that, when most EVs seem to get around 3.5?

Could it be that most EVs are aerodynamic bricks (ie. SUVs)?
Teslas are obviously quite a slippery shape.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn't the Tesla supercharger network being shut down?
I read they closed the whole department and made evryone redundant.
Network is fine and it's not being shut down. There is a lot of disinformation going around.
Musk can behave irrational but he is not an idiot. What happened with supercharger team was exactly the same he did with twitter cut 90% of staff.
Network is massive and he change approach to expand it. Instead his own team choosing new locations tesla owners can vote where they want new chargers.
Every 3-month voting cycle, you can cast multiple votes to help them decide on new Supercharger locations

That's 4.65 miles/kWh, which is spectacularly good economy.
How do Teslas achieve that, when most EVs seem to get around 3.5?
They have been doing it for some time maybe its the experience or maybe Musk's crazy high standards
That's the efficiency on almost 10h trip doing 70mph.
My lifetime is 240Wh/mil and that's for 36k miles over 2 winters and 1 summer

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Network is fine and it's not being shut down. There is a lot of disinformation going around.
Musk can behave irrational but he is not an idiot. What happened with supercharger team was exactly the same he did with twitter cut 90% of staff.
Network is massive and he change approach to expand it. Instead his own team choosing new locations tesla owners can vote where they want new chargers.
Every 3-month voting cycle, you can cast multiple votes to help them decide on new Supercharger locations

They have been doing it for some time maybe its the experience or maybe Musk's crazy high standards
That's the efficiency on almost 10h trip doing 70mph.
My lifetime is 240Wh/mil and that's for 36k miles over 2 winters and 1 summer
I thought the supercharger netwrok was closing down in response to him refusing the EU demand it be opened up to all EV's and not just Tesla.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, Tesla supercharger network is really cheap in comparing to other. At home I'm on Inteligent octopus

It’s interesting as most public chargers seem to be 45p to 50p per KW, that would make that trip £90-100, equal to the efficiency of my A4 with the need for all the stops.

Likely hood is I would have stopped anyway, but it shows that the cost saving in running an EV is very much dependent on how you charge it. 9pp/kw - 50pp/kw is a big variance. My diesel in comparison will vary by 5ppl excluding motorway services.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s interesting as most public chargers seem to be 45p to 50p per KW, that would make that trip £90-100, equal to the efficiency of my A4 with the need for all the stops.

Likely hood is I would have stopped anyway, but it shows that the cost saving in running an EV is very much dependent on how you charge it. 9pp/kw - 50pp/kw is a big variance. My diesel in comparison will vary by 5ppl excluding motorway services.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy electric car just share my experience. I normally do 2k miles every month but all trips are shorter than 250 miles so only charge at home.
Just checked my charging statements from December 2022 up until now I've done almost 36k miles which in tital cost me 667 pounds in charging at home.
Even if the odd trip once or twice a year would be twice as expensive as any diesel petrol car I would happily paid for it from my day to day usage savings.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm curious how much annually average ICE car owners spending on the fuel. I know my other half car takes 90 pounds of diesel for the full tank and only last for 300 miles. Luckily she only did less then 4k in last 12 months.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But isn't that a good reason to buy an EV.
For your A4, your choice is probably £1.50-£1.55 for diesel, there is no 50p per litre option.
An EV owner can pay 50p per Kw but can also pay 9p per kw at home.
It also depends how fast you want to charge giving you even more choice.
And you're only paying 5% VAT on your home electricity whereas you're paying over 50% tax per litre at the pumps

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm curious how much annually average ICE car owners spending on the fuel. I know my other half car takes 90 pounds of diesel for the full tank and only last for 300 miles. Luckily she only did less then 4k in last 12 months.
May I say, that if your other half can only manage 300 miles on £90 of diesel, I would say that either you have a fuel leak or they must rev the rats out of it driving everywhre in first gear.
I drive a VW Transporter van (its a 2ltr diesel) and always at least 3/4 full load, and a tank of diesel (about £100/105 currently) gives me 450-500 miles, and I'm no Daisy driver on the motorway and Central London every day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is she driving a Hummer through Central London?

If she is using a diesel and only doing 4k a year then she has entirely the wrong car for her journeys. £90 to fill up also suggests a very big car, Range Rover, X5, Q7 or the like. That's a loaded example.

I put £60 in my Mazda 6 diesel, it will do 450-500 miles comfortably before I think about filling up again. My previous E class and Skoda Superb were a good 10-15% more efficient than the Mazda, read that and be ashamed Mazda designers 😡

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is she driving a Hummer through Central London?

If she is using a diesel and only doing 4k a year then she has entirely the wrong car for her journeys. £90 to fill up also suggests a very big car, Range Rover, X5, Q7 or the like. That's a loaded example.

I put £60 in my Mazda 6 diesel, it will do 450-500 miles comfortably before I think about filling up again. My previous E class and Skoda Superb were a good 10-15% more efficient than the Mazda, read that and be ashamed Mazda designers 😡
TBH, the Japs aren't very good with diesel engines, however petrol engines....the best overall.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wow, she's a guzzler. ;)
A tank full on my car is currently sub £70 and is good for 600 miles on a long run and around 500 miles dotting about.
Oh, and in the 7 years I've owned it I have probably lost about £2000 in depreciation.