The all things EV chat thread

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
May I say, that if your other half can only manage 300 miles on £90 of diesel, I would say that either you have a fuel leak or they must rev the rats out of it driving everywhre in first gear.
I drive a VW Transporter van (its a 2ltr diesel) and always at least 3/4 full load, and a tank of diesel (about £100/105 currently) gives me 450-500 miles, and I'm no Daisy driver on the motorway and Central London every day.
Funny enough she has VW t6 Caravelle 2l 205bhp mapped to 260bhp

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well mine is the 2ltr 150, with DSG. Perhaps she enjoys her right foot a little too much;)
She has DSG too with 2l biturbo engine, when car was in standard it did a lot better mpg. Biggest difference I noticed was changing wheels to 21inches mpg went down like crazy.
Every time she drives she wait only for the engine to get the temperature and then gearbox going in to sport mode :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the main my driving is either short local journeys or motorway/ dual carriageway 70 MPH😁 when able.

I only do around 6k -8k a year I calculated my petrol verses electric cost based upon £1.70 a gallon as a saving of around £1000-£1200 a year.

First year saving being lost to the cost of dedicated charging point at home.

Most weeks I used to spend £25-£30 on fuel these days electric cost is around £3

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
A people still judging EVs on the one worst case long distance journey over the actual average use? And even the latest journey shown here seem to come out even versus petrol or diesel.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
She has DSG too with 2l biturbo engine, when car was in standard it did a lot better mpg. Biggest difference I noticed was changing wheels to 21inches mpg went down like crazy.
Every time she drives she wait only for the engine to get the temperature and then gearbox going in to sport mode :)
I dont see any need for sport mode. The Caravelle, like Transporter, has a huge amount of torque and go under that right foot which doesnt need sport mode activated to help reduce the MPG.
In fact, the DSG will adjust its changing to how your right foot goes.
I do hope youre having your gearbox oil changed every 40k miles BTW. It's essential for the gearbox, and stops VW from getting out of paying for a new one, or at least contributing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A people still judging EVs on the one worst case long distance journey over the actual average use? And even the latest journey shown here seem to come out even versus petrol or diesel.
Most aren't judging them like that at all, more I suspect don't see EV as the answer.
That for me is why I'm waiting for my next car to be ready, purely petrol again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s pretty clear from the data being posted up that EV’s charged at home are significantly cheaper to run than ICE cars. But are they cheaper overall? @jim8flog thinks he’s saving around £1,000 a year on fuel. If a like for like purchase sees the EV model £8,000 more expensive at the outset…

Just some very rough figures;

Petrol car purchase £25,000 + 5 years fuel at £1,000 a year = £30,000
EV car £33,000 + 5 years at £300 a year = £34,500.

Those are figures grabbed out of the air(almost), and I dare say someone will do a better comparison but I’m still not convinced EV is the best package yet.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s pretty clear from the data being posted up that EV’s charged at home are significantly cheaper to run than ICE cars. But are they cheaper overall? @jim8flog thinks he’s saving around £1,000 a year on fuel. If a like for like purchase sees the EV model £8,000 more expensive at the outset…

Those are figures grabbed out of the air(almost), and I dare say someone will do a better comparison but I’m still not convinced EV is the best package yet.

And that's without factoring in any depreciation.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s the insurance like on EVs? Comparable?

I know for my electric scooter I pay a little more than a comparable moped would be, but there are still very few options because they aren’t as common yet. But I get some payback where I have 0 tax, 0 ulez and 0 parking cost in Westminster.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the insurance like on EVs? Comparable?

I know for my electric scooter I pay a little more than a comparable moped would be, but there are still very few options because they aren’t as common yet. But I get some payback where I have 0 tax, 0 ulez and 0 parking cost in Westminster.
Insurance for EV's is a lot less choice than ICE. Quite a few companies are not taking them on any more, or if they do, the policy is sky high.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It’s interesting as most public chargers seem to be 45p to 50p per KW, that would make that trip £90-100, equal to the efficiency of my A4 with the need for all the stops.

Likely hood is I would have stopped anyway, but it shows that the cost saving in running an EV is very much dependent on how you charge it. 9pp/kw - 50pp/kw is a big variance. My diesel in comparison will vary by 5ppl excluding motorway services.
Not suggesting you were wrong to exclude but I view the current state of away from home EV charging in a similar view to the motorway fuel. Infalted prices, because they can.
Suspect there likely isn't enough demand currently with majority of EV drivers having access to home or work charging. Be interesting if some were to seriously undercut the competitors to see if it drives usage up.
For me around here it's more like a 10ppl variation (diesel) around the locality and I will make a special trip to top up with low ppl from time to time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My car was only £2k more expensive than the equivalent petrol model, I paid £26K. I could have bought an MG EV for even less
The deals are out there if you look at the right time.

As has been said in parts of this thread other costs savings such as
Cheaper Servicing
No road fund tax
No worries about replacing exhausts or vehicle emission filters.
No clean air charges ( this does not affect me personally)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My car was only £2k more expensive than the equivalent petrol model, I paid £26K. I could have bought an MG EV for even less
The deals are out there if you look at the right time.

As has been said in parts of this thread other costs savings such as
Cheaper Servicing
No road fund tax
No worries about replacing exhausts or vehicle emission filters.
No clean air charges ( this does not affect me personally)

I don’t doubt there are deals out there, and that prices are, in some instances, closer. Equally, there’ll be deals out there for petrol models at different times. But on a like for like at list price…?

I feel it’s pretty much a flawed argument from both sides. Gut instinct… I doubt there’s much difference in overall cost over the life(ownership) of an EV. Petrol might be more costly but not overly so. It then just comes down to personal preferences. Me, I don’t fancy two lengthy, by comparison, stops on long journeys.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's some more rough figures...

The brand new Jaguar F Pace diesel is £49,995
The brand new Jaguar I-Pace EV is £49,999

The brand new MG HS petrol is £22,100.
The brand new MG4 EV is £21,000

And for 2nd hand market
VW Golf 2020 80,000 miles £11,400
VW e Golf 2020 55,000 miles £11,199

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Here's some more rough figures...

The brand new Jaguar F Pace diesel is £49,995
The brand new Jaguar I-Pace EV is £49,999

The brand new MG HS petrol is £22,100.
The brand new MG4 EV is £21,000

And for 2nd hand market
VW Golf 2020 80,000 miles £11,400
VW e Golf 2020 55,000 miles £11,199

As I said in my follow up to Jim, there’s deals to be had. And those deals might favour petrol in the next round of discounts.

But isn’t the list price of the i-Pace £69,995 otr? And the MG EV is listed at £26k. Deals to be had and best times to buy, but do you think those prices you quoted will still be there when both companies have cleared their stock? It’s always a moving feast.