Sports Personality of the Year 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

i think Chris Froome must be wondering what he has got to do to get some recognition for winning LE TOUR not once but more and Brad wins it once and gets a knighthood.

I have a feeling that Wiggins also winning 28 medals across various Cycling Champs including 8 Olympic Medals might have also had something to do with getting a knighthood

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a feeling that Wiggins also winning 28 medals across various Cycling Champs including 8 Olympic Medals might have also had something to do with getting a knighthood

i doubt Brad would have been knighted without the TOUR win ,he might have been ,but not in my opinion ,but i dont make the rules.
and as for SPOTY its not always the person with the most votes that wins.

D

Deleted member 15344

i doubt Brad would have been knighted without the TOUR win ,he might have been ,but not in my opinion ,but i dont make the rules.
and as for SPOTY its not always the person with the most votes that wins.

He is the most decorated with more medals than anyone else who have been knighted so he would still have been knighted

And what do you mean it's not always the person with the most votes who wins ? It's a public vote from the nominees so how else can someone win ?

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
He is the most decorated with more medals than anyone else who have been knighted so he would still have been knighted

And what do you mean it's not always the person with the most votes who wins ? It's a public vote from the nominees so how else can someone win ?

when the angling fraternity voted for Bob Nudd ,he had more than any of the other nominees but because he wasnt on THE LIST he wasnt allowed to be the winner.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
when the angling fraternity voted for Bob Nudd ,he had more than any of the other nominees but because he wasnt on THE LIST he wasnt allowed to be the winner.

That's like having the Star Wars community sending in votes for Luke Skywalker as best pilot. He'd win by a mile but it ain't the point.
Besides, who the heck cares about fishing 😉

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can we vote for Sporty McSportface?

Haven't watched the show for years but I'm surprised no one has given a shout for Mr Brownlee. He'd get my vote.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah yes the campaign in the magazine over 25 years ago which was deemed to be rigging the votes - also believe it was putting votes to nominate someone and the number was also an "estimate" from the Angler Times as well

But as is every year you get the same complaints about such and such missing out because everyone will always someone they believe should be in there

Most just take it for what it is - and mainly bar the odd year the person who wins is fully deserving

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If Murray wins it three years in a row does he get to keep it?

Because let's face it - as a sportsman, and actually as a decent guy with a decent personality (albeit dour and dry in a particularly brilliant but typical Scottish way :) ) - Andy Murray currently stands astride UK sport as a giant.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Come on Froome only rides a bike my kids do that,but not many kids play in goal at Hockey.

Some will see being nominated as special some will be embarrassed when they see they get hardly any votes.

I can see the Hockey girls winning a team trophy but its certainly not an individual sport.
If Team GB got the Team award after 2012 and this year Team GB did better, surely they deserve the Team award rather than singling out 1 team from the Olympics.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If Murray wins it three years in a row does he get to keep it?

Because let's face it - as a sportsman, and actually as a decent guy with a decent personality (albeit dour and dry in a particularly brilliant but typical Scottish way :) ) - Andy Murray currently stands astride UK sport as a giant.

pretty strong argument that currently hes the best sportsman Britains ever had, right at the top of his game

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would give it to Alistair Brownlee.

Really shone this year and what he did for his brother was truly special.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
If Team GB got the Team award after 2012 and this year Team GB did better, surely they deserve the Team award rather than singling out 1 team from the Olympics.
I don't like the team GB thing. If not everybody knows everybody it isn't a team. Ask Farah to name the hockey team, ask Wittlock to name all rowers, ... .

Anyway, team of the year has to be British Cycling. They all came back with medals from Rio. If you consider how much they had to overcome. Every single one of them has asthma. It's more heart breaking than BGT, thinking about it. And is still performing to the highest level. There are now kids sitting at home hoping to be diagnosed with it, so they too can level the playing field.

On 2nd thought, Leicester will do.