Should they have stopped play at the 17th?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Brandel Chamblee had an interesting take after the wind got up at Sawgrass - while most of us like to see the tour pros struggle from time to time he makes a lot of good points?

'They should stop play. The 17th hole is unplayable. On Thursday 4 balls were hit in the water on 17; today the first 4 tee shots found the water there. Very likely the winner of 2022 Players will come from the group who completed their round on Thursday. The worst weather condition are mostly in the Open (87 3rd rnd etc) where one has the option of using the ground and margin for error, no such option or margin exist at the 17th… it is a flip of the coin. The Championship went from a test of skill to largely a matter of chance. It’s entertaining but that shouldn’t be the sole criteria.This tournament went from being entirely a contest of skill to largely a matter of chance, because of one hole, the 17th. This is the worst possible scenario for this hole and by extension this Championship.'

'The 17th hole is a disaster of a hole… and it was shown to be so today. It’s entertaining as hell but so would filling an Olympic swimming pool with sharks and asking Phelps to swim the race of his life. Got about 20 messages from tour pros today and to the man they expressed disdain for the 17th hole… not that they have the deciding opinion, or should have, but they prove your statement to be as wrong as the design of the 17th hole. Redesign the 17th hole… the TPC Sawgrass’ reputation does not depend upon the capricious nature or controversy of the 17th hole anymore than Augusta National’s legend depends upon any one hole. When flaws are exposed they make changes as they should at the TPC Sawgrass.'

D

Deleted member 15344

It was tough but not unplayable - no need to stop play there

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a pity when one side of the draw is very different from another, but that's the nature of the sport on occasions.
You can't stop play because of one hole when everything is already heavily delayed.

Maybe consider a very forward tee for the rare occasions when there is a strong gusty wind.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Irrespective of the wind I watched some simply shocking shots that would not have been out of place in our clubs Medal today. I reckon that some wouldn't have found the green even if there had been no wind.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Irrespective of the wind I watched some simply shocking shots that would not have been out of place in our clubs Medal today. I reckon that some wouldn't have found the green even if there had been no wind.

Some of the misses to 17 especially yesterday were horrendous and had you can't argue the wind had that much effect. A top player shouldn't be missing a target like that from that distance but such a wide margin

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A slight redesign/addition seems a better idea to me.
A different drop zone that takes out the shot across the water could be the answer, only being used when conditions are likely to warrant it.
It's the fact that the round was spread over 2 days that has made it 'unfair'.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it was close.....if all but a very small handful were able to get on then there may have been a case.
It, obviously, wasn't unplayable as quite a few made the green..
Tough break for those on the wrong side of the luck but that's golf...
Didn't JT and Bubba go round bogey-free?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chamblee is an absolute tool.

if the best players in the world can’t flight down a club to go 135 yards - then then world has gone mad.

the conditions made the players uncomfortable. Good. Those that could, can execute.

it’s just a shame they don’t face the same challenge week in, week out