Insurance assessors!!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Lost a few ridge and hip tiles during last weeks high winds. Left us with a nasty hole in the roof. Phoned our insurance company on Sunday to notify them of a claim, they said we can't do anything until an insurance assessor comes round to inspect the damage and confirm the claim. We would hear from them within a day or two.
Got fed up waiting, I just want to get it sorted so I rang them today to chivvy them along. They rang me back this afternoon to arrange the appointment...
Thursday 17th March!!!
So that's another three weeks with a hole in our roof.
????

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That’s better than happened to me, I had 40 tiles blown off plus a few ridge tiles in a winter gale a few years ago.

Went to put in a claim only to realize I didn’t renew my insurance ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s better than happened to me, I had 40 tiles blown off plus a few ridge tiles in a winter gale a few years ago.

Went to put in a claim only to realize I didn’t renew my insurance ?

I used to work in insurance. Had to disappoint one very good, life insurance, customer they phoned to say they had a kitchen fire. Face to face I had to remind them they had declined to take out a new style insurance policy when their old fire only policy was discontinued. The damage was really extensive.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only had to claim once after a really bad storm. The insurance company didn't flinch at the £500 estimate. "Just get it done". :D I assume it was because of the other claims were a lot bigger.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There’s obviously a lot more damage than a couple of ridge and hip tiles

The scaffolding required will cost about £500.00.
The hip tiles, being the shape they are, didn't come straight down the roof.
Wind blew two of them across the roof and they broke/dislodged about 5 or 6 other standard tiles on their way down.
There are quite a few damaged.
o_Oo_Oo_O

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The scaffolding required will cost about £500.00.
The hip tiles, being the shape they are, didn't come straight down the roof.
Wind blew two of them across the roof and they broke/dislodged about 5 or 6 other standard tiles on their way down.
There are quite a few damaged.
o_Oo_Oo_O
? sorry to hear Smiffy!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you can get a roofer of course ?
One of my golfing mates is a roofer, and he's been down to assess the damage.
He went up into the loft to inspect the condition of the felt and it's all in excellent condition, bearing in mind the age of the house. So hopefully, no serious water ingress, but I'd just like to know where we stand as far as the claim is concerned.

Attachments

• IMG-20220221-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220221-WA0001.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20220221-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220221-WA0000.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 9

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the roof has been generally well maintained over the years I'd expect the insurance to pay out , if not then I'd just get on with getting it repaired.

I'll see what they say. About 4 of the hip tiles have come away, and because of the effects of the wind it has cracked a lot of the pug holding the majority of the rest of the row, so they don't look brilliant at the moment.
My mate has quoted replacing the whole run, as he reckons if just the missing ones are replaced, we'll have to have it done again in the foreseeable future.
As I say, I'll see what they say.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember back in the gales of 87 we were told do a rough assessment of the damage. If it was likely to be less £1000 just tell the customer to get on with it. Mind it was in the days when builders used ladders.

My SILs brother had a roofing company which he sold. He now gets a lot of income from court appearances as an expert witness to decide if roofers had followed the correct safety protocols.