'Interesting' Email conversation. Warning - long 'rant'!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think using the word ‘ignorant’ is always risky in written communication and in this case partly the cause of the nature of the reply

While its defined meaning of a ‘lack of knowledge/understanding’ may be what one party intends and may describe the situation accurately, the recipient could take the more informal & insulting meaning of ‘being rude/don’t care’, which is now being used by a visitor to describe 4 of his members

You see it getting used on forums etc occasionally too (I think sometimes intentionally to incite but that’s another matter)

I like londonlewis’s approach

Just a thought... maybe Bernard was playing that evening with his wife & a couple of mates!

Now theres a thought ha ha :thup:, that would be funny as hell

Brian_C

Club Champion
www.briancurranphotography.com
I think demanding some "assurance" that the message be passed along to those responsible sounds a little OTT to me. You're effectively telling the guy what do. Sounds little cheeky to me. Maybe if had of suggested the message be passed along, or asked for th message to be passed along.

Also, did you actually ask, politely, if you could play through? Bear in mind too, that the group in front were probably concerned about finishing before dark, just like you.
I think you were just a little unlucky with your timing, nothing more. Turning up at any golf course at 5:00pm, midweek, on a sunny day I'd be prepared for a wait.

But, the threat of publishing on golf forums was probably a little silly. Publishing on the internet just because some old duffers wouldn't let you play through, that's what it boils down to.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As I said, that comment was intended as a light hearted joke, no real offence was intended.

If they responded with an apology and a comp round would you have said no?

An apology and a bit of (possibly meaningless) assurance would have sufficed. A complimentary drink would have been a bonus/good gesture - in my case, but perhaps not always appropriate. A free or even reduced rate round (that was the deal I was on anyway) would have pricked my conscience.

you sound like a grumpy old man....

Possibly true! But it takes a lot to raise my heckles!

Last edited:

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He went just after 5. Which in my opinion is a busy time. Anyway maybe that between that time he was assured it was'nt and him getting there a lot of people turned up just after work? Its a £10 round at SG at that time...

£10 a round. Wow I wouldn't be complaining about a little slow play for £10 a round.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
He went just after 5. Which in my opinion is a busy time. Anyway maybe that between that time he was assured it was'nt and him getting there a lot of people turned up just after work? Its a £10 round at SG at that time...

If you read the OP properly, you should have gleaned that it wasn't the fact that 'there was quite a queue' as the 10th only had the 1 group - and a 2-ball finishing the 9th, who didn't continue.

And no, it's occasionally a £10 round at that time. £17.50 that day.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
P.P.S Last time I played at Sutton Green my group was informed by a member in the group behind (but not having to wait on any shot) that he expects to be let through shortly as members have priority on the course. I politely told him that he would be allowed to play through should the need arise and was told to have more respect for the members of the club. I haven't been back and since and have no intention of doing so.

Slow play is slow play and not letting people thought and so on and so on is a common theme.... This above though is shocking!!! It made me giggle and made my toes curl. "that he expects to be let through shortly as members have priority on the course" OMG! :D:confused:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Slow play is slow play and not letting people thought and so on and so on is a common theme.... This above though is shocking!!! It made me giggle and made my toes curl. "that he expects to be let through shortly as members have priority on the course" OMG! :D:confused:

This was probably about 10 years ago but I doubt I will ever forget it. Rightly or wrongly, my thoughts about the place are based entirely upon this one encounter. I have since had the chance to go back but declined and will continue to do so.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This was probably about 10 years ago but I doubt I will ever forget it. Rightly or wrongly, my thoughts about the place are based entirely upon this one encounter. I have since had the chance to go back but declined and will continue to do so.

Talk about holding a grudge :eek:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

My impression from spending a round with you some years back is that your a very easy going and level headed guy.... That must have tested you!

G

guest100718

An apology and a bit of (possibly meaningless) assurance would have sufficed. A complimentary drink would have been a bonus/good gesture - in my case, but perhaps not always appropriate. A free or even reduced rate round (that was the deal I was on anyway) would have pricked my conscience.

Possibly true! But it takes a lot to raise my heckles!

possibly..?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Last time I played at Sutton Green my group was informed by a member in the group behind (but not having to wait on any shot) that he expects to be let through shortly as members have priority on the course.

This was probably about 10 years ago but I doubt I will ever forget it

From their current website.....

Our members enjoy priority use of the course at all times.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The full quote is

''Our members enjoy priority use of the course at all times, and the facility to reserve tee times online at their convenience''

That's OK - we're going down that route ourselves...however I'm never that taken by clubs that advertise their wares using words such as 'prestige'. I quote...

Sutton Green golf course offers prestige golf on a private and secluded course.

What is prestige golf?

Must say the track does look rather nice

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's OK - we're going down that route ourselves...however I'm never that taken by clubs that advertise their wares using words such as 'prestige'. I quote...

Sutton Green golf course offers prestige golf on a private and secluded course.

What is prestige golf?

Must say the track does look rather nice

Fairly flat and open - still quite young - with good fast greens (the best feature). Apparently still gets boggy in Winter and I can certainly understand that as a couple of places were even soggy last Wednesday. I think there's a wandering spring that's to blame for that. Not dull, but nothing special. Definitely worth a tenner as long as you can get around! Today's £20 'deal' would count me out even without that hassle. Specially as 9th is probably (back) to a temporary.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hahahaha attention seeking of the highest order.

I'd be embarrassed to email such tripe never mind cut and paste it onto a forum.