Should they have stopped play at the 17th?

Swango1980

Visit site
Some pundits like a bit of attention seeking. They need to voice a silly opinion just to keep themselves in the limelight.

At the Open the first tee time is 6.35am, last is at 4.16 pm. One golfer could play golf in some of the most calm, dry conditions. At the other half of the draw, players may face much stronger winds and a downpour of rain. There is a term called "luck of the draw", and that very much applies to golf. It is unfortunate to some, but get on with it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I think the issue wasn't the strong wind, it was how it gusted to 30mph, then dropped to 10mph within a few seconds.

Explains why so many hit it long and short of the green. Had it been a constant speed I think we'd have seen less balls in the water.

Not sure they should have stopped play though.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
These are regular yardages, no? ?

Pros finished their rounds and were eager to share just how wild some of their yardages were relative to normal. Watson finished his day with a 151-yard 5-iron. Justin Thomas was most proud of a carved 6-iron from 136. McIlroy hit a 7-iron that went 123 yards.

“My 7-iron goes between 185 and 190. So, playing 60 yards of wind,” he said.

Koepka’s 8-irons on 16 and 17 highlighted the difference between downwind and into the wind perhaps best of all.

“On 16 I hit 8-iron, it flew 205 yards,” he said. “On 17 I hit it 105.”

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the issue wasn't the strong wind, it was how it gusted to 30mph, then dropped to 10mph within a few seconds.

Explains why so many hit it long and short of the green. Had it been a constant speed I think we'd have seen less balls in the water.

Not sure they should have stopped play though.

No different to playing an Open at times. The one at Carnoustie springs to mind