Should they have stopped play at the 17th?

Visit site
The best players in the world, with the most outrageous talent, the benefit of the best coaching, the best clubs and club fitting, knowledge of the course, a caddy giving them the exact yardage and advice in choosing the right Club, tee boxes in perfect condition, information on wind speed and direction and they are complaining about it being too hard? Shows how far removed from reality they are.

Yes the conditions made it hard but like people before have said there were some horrific shots made out there that didn't deserve much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't they stopped play enough as it is?? Does he want them to finish on Wednesday or what? Stop moaning and get on with it. Agree with others sentiment here - these are the best golfers in the world, why are we averse to them being challenged?

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know, let them have a free drop every time they make a mistake / land in a divot / water etc etc. or even have them play on an indoor simulator when the weather is bad.

Or, sit the whingers down and let them know that golf is hard.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
leishman played during the worst weather and he was one under for the three holes (16,17 and 18)

it was a brilliant watch ... the issue was crazy short interval gusts the wind was changing from 10 mph up to 40mph while the ball was in the air

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The best players in the world, with the most outrageous talent, the benefit of the best coaching, the best clubs and club fitting, knowledge of the course, a caddy giving them the exact yardage and advice in choosing the right Club, tee boxes in perfect condition, information on wind speed and direction and they are complaining about it being too hard? Shows how far removed from reality they are.

Yes the conditions made it hard but like people before have said there were some horrific shots made out there that didn't deserve much.

This from Geoff Shakelford this morning.

"And if you take a look at PGA Tour’s compilation of all 19 water balls—drop area shots included—it’s staggering how many shots were dead just a few yards off the club face. Or how many purely awful strikes were made trying to play the ball down. I estimated 9 of the 19 just were unlucky due to a gust or just missing the 3,912 green. The rest never had a chance".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
leishman played during the worst weather and he was one under for the three holes (16,17 and 18)

it was a brilliant watch ... the issue was crazy short interval gusts the wind was changing from 10 mph up to 40mph while the ball was in the air

Isn't that the same when the weather is bad at the open or exactly what we face in the winter? No-one here moaning it's too hard. Golf isn't a fair game and you have to take the bad breaks like the wind gusting and get on with it. Are the modern golfers mentally tough enough or are they programmed to nice weather and receptive greens

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think they should have stopped play. Make them all change into shorts with black socks. Replace their caddies with trolleys and let them take them over the tees. And also post comments on here about politics.

And yes I am taking the proverbial .....

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Isn't that the same when the weather is bad at the open or exactly what we face in the winter? No-one here moaning it's too hard. Golf isn't a fair game and you have to take the bad breaks like the wind gusting and get on with it. Are the modern golfers mentally tough enough or are they programmed to nice weather and receptive greens

I'm not defending Brandel i enjoyed it! it was a true test... just think its canny funny when hackers on an internet forum are saying there were horrific shots and its a big green just play a knockdown 7 iron

some were hitting knock down 7 irons and they were going 120 yards some were executing the same shot and they were going 160.

some played it really well ... some played it poorly and some were unlucky. probably just like any other par 3 in the wind, the difference yesterday was that the unlucky and poor shots were all televised and then punished with penalties

Newtonuti

Visit site
Winds me up when people say that pro's shouldn't have to play in bad conditions. They're meant to be the best in the world, so lets see them prove it, instead of just plodding round in the baking sun hitting balls from perfect fairways into perfect greens with little to no wind.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was quite entertaining. It is a short hole, a wedge to 9 iron usually, and the best players in the world should be able to flight down a 7 iron and find the putting surface. It is a good example that in circumstances like this, firing at the pin as usual may be unwise.

I agree with Chamblee that it is not a good golf hole, though. It is a very watchable one, though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Winds me up when people say that pro's shouldn't have to play in bad conditions. They're meant to be the best in the world, so lets see them prove it, instead of just plodding round in the baking sun hitting balls from perfect fairways into perfect greens with little to no wind.
With $3.5M for the winner out of $20 fund, I think they have a reasonable argument about having to play in such conditions. While vagaries of weather are accepted to a certain extent, it would be great to have measurable limits.

sunshine

Visit site
Bit late to this thread, but something important needs to be said.

Deep breath...

I completely agree with Paul Mcginley and he provided a very compelling and articulate argument against Chamblee.
It wasn't easy to type that. But fair play McGinley.