Scottish independence

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There's a couple of ridiculously insular statements in there imo, particularly the bold bit.

Unless you know SiLH well, the 1st and 3rd statements are pure speculation.

eh?

is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour? :rofl:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyway...........whit's this got to do with the OP's point.

I think we should keep The Open in Scotland as this year has definitely proved that Scotland has better summer weather than England.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Anyway...........whit's this got to do with the OP's point.

I think we should keep The Open in Scotland as this year has definitely proved that Scotland has better summer weather than England.

going up to 27* 28* doon sooth this week, I've had to put my heating on up here:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that Devo Max is exactly what the majority of the country want but they are not being allowed to express their preference.
If they get loads of Devo Max spoiled papers in the ballot box what next?

SNP and Devo Max seems like the best way forward to me.

Which may well be the case - but the Coalition government knocked that one on the head by only permitting a yes/no on independence. This leaves the likes of yourself asking 'what powers and when' on the road to devo max. And for that I could glean little information (even although some might think it odd that I should express an interest in tghe debate even although I have disenfranchised myself by 'chosing' to not return to Scotland - yet).

BTW - my mother (82 yrs this year) tells me that she's not that bothered whether it's Yes or No as at her age it won't really affect her. Interestingly (to me anyway) - with me being her eldest son and my dad passed away - and with my immediate and all my very wide extended family still all living in Scotland, my mother is clear that the outcome of the vote is of more relevance to me than her - and so she thinks I should be able to vote - in whatever way that vote is incorporated in the decision making process. So much for the argument restricting the vote to domiciles as only domiciles will be affected - well not all domicile Scots see it that way.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and I'll add - will a 49/51 split be an acceptable outcome either way? Maybe in such ciurcumstances a Scots born non-domiciles vote could then be incorporated in a weighted manner to take the broader view and maybe get confirmation one way or the other.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is a dead duck now Hogan.
Has been since Soapy showed his busted flush over NATO and the Euro.

Well I hope it isn't close one way or the other.

BTW - what will happen after a NO vote? Does anyone know? Status quo or trust in Cameron and his Westminster buddies to offer devo max powers after the deed is done? What about reforms to the Barnett Formula that will inevitably come about once the threat of independence is seen off - anyone on the BT front telling Scots what's going to happen to that? Hmmm - thought not.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I hope it isn't close one way or the other.

BTW - what will happen after a NO vote? Does anyone know? Status quo or trust in Cameron and his Westminster buddies to offer devo max powers after the deed is done? What about reforms to the Barnett Formula that will inevitably come about once the threat of independence is seen off - anyone on the BT front telling Scots what's going to happen to that? Hmmm - thought not.
After the no vote, 1966 will keep getting mentioned on STV. :eek:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Devo max would be OK with most people but if it means England has to bankroll it then the English should also have a vote.

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
Devo max would be OK with most people but if it means England has to bankroll it then the English should also have a vote.

What???!!!! Surely you don't expect us to pay for it ourselves!!!?? Alex Salmond promised that it would be free........... along with free further education, more nurses, policemen, firemen, jobs, World Cup wins etc etc etc.... The new Alba will be just like Iceland, Oh - hang on a sec, Ireland.... or was it Spain... or Greece, no - Norway! thats it! Now give us us our oil money back! :thup: :rolleyes:

....... and if you want a vote you'll need to form an orderly queue behind the 16 yr olds and non-domiciles.... ;)

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So if the majority of Scots do not want the status quo and want devo max then how is that going to happen. Ruth Davidson promising some form of transfer, of some sorts of powers, at some point in the future along with some change in the Barnett formula to pay for it. So that's what a NO vote will bring then is it? And you trust a Westminster government to deliver that - whatever it may or might not be?

Absolutely clear to me then - the BT campaign have nothing to say to the voter other than fear of the unknown around a YES vote when they cannot themselves define the unknown around a NO vote. If my reading of the situation is wrong and that BT are clear about what will change for Scotland after a NO vote then please tell me - as I didn't spot it.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll take your Devo Max and raise it HS2.

HS2 Nobody wants it.
It stops at Birmingham
It will cost £80 BILLION
And Scots have to pay for it.
Fantastic.

At least we paid oor ain money for the Edinburgh Trams fiasco.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

HS2 Nobody wants it.
It stops at Birmingham
It will cost £80 BILLION
Fantastic.

Except where did that money come from - Westminster? Holyrood may have decided to spend the money on the Embra trams but Holyrood didn't raise the money...

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
So if the majority of Scots do not want the status quo and want devo max

There's two problems with this....
1) according to a leading Scottish publication - although most Scots "want" devo max, the vast majority of those that want it don't actually understand what it is..... are we as a nation really that desperate to "govern" ourselves that we're prepared to vote for ANYTHING, even if we don't actually know what it is, other than the status quo?!!?
2) devo max is a SHAM.... it's having our cake & eating it... it says, we'll have all of the best bits, but not the messy and/or expensive bits... it gives us more "power", yet leaves the SNP and it's supporters free to whinge for the next 20 years about Westminster.......

C'mon folks - we've either got the cajones to stand on our own and accept ALL that entails (one things for sure - it won't be the panacea that the SNP have us believe), or we don't. Why go for a halfway house?

Ruth Davidson promising some form of transfer, of some sorts of powers, at some point in the future along with some change in the Barnett formula to pay for it. So that's what a NO vote will bring then is it? And you trust a Westminster government to deliver that - whatever it may or might not be?

This is good - so let me get this straight..... you don't trust Westminster but you'd trust the SNP who have no plan whatsoever for the practicalities of independence or the affordability of all of their promises?... merely the word of Alex Salmond and his band of merry men/women that things will be just super, and let's not worry about such trivialities??!!?:rofl:

I have nothing against independence...... but surely we need the full facts, warts'n'all, in front of us before we go rushing to a YES vote. Anything else is really troubling...... after all - poor planning only gets you to one place in life, nomatter the situation

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't think you can do that. You could have a vote if you want to leave the union, that would be fair.
My point was a bit tongue in cheek :) But the issue is Scotland leaving the Union, so we should all get a vote. If the Scots thought everyone else was going to kick them out of the Union, Salmonella and his cronies would soon shut up. There is a big difference between deciding to leave and being sacked!
BTW my reference to Salmonella was unintentional. It was predictive text that came up with that one. I just decided to leave it in.:) Modern technology is amazing, isn't it?

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

HS2 Nobody wants it.
It stops at Birmingham
It will cost £80 BILLION
Fantastic.

HS2 doesnt stop at Brum. It goes to Manchester and has a spur onto the WCML at Wigan...