Scottish independence

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because these things will take time to evolve and to be negotiated and worked out - and evolve they will. But there will be plenty of time for tghese things to be sorted out. Forever is a long time - but they won't take forever - just time. You seem to suggest that there should be an instant fix or solution - and immediate change to a new 'steady state'. Nothing really changes like that.

When you introduce a step change into a stable system where all 'states' defining the system have relatively low levels of uncertainty, all the states go into a transitional phase with associated higher levels of uncertainty. Over time the states defining the system move to their new steady-state position and as they do their uncertainty reduces until the system reaches stability and relatively strong against further disruptive inputs. But state dynamics and uncertainty are time variable - and that is all that we will have with Scotland after a YES vote.

I'm not suggesting there is a fix, more that what that fix will be hasn't been thought about and/or communicated.

You seem to be explaining almost a Markov chain approach with regards to "states". Where these models fall down, in my experience, is not fully understanding the volatility or certainty of each "state" when one can act independently of another....

Is the assumption that Scotland will be welcome in a Currency union confirmed with the UK? Why are you sure there is "plenty of time"?

If, and with everything to do with this its a big if, the Yes vote results in an instability of the £ on the global markets do you think the new UK would be happy for us hanging around or want us to decide ASAP what the currency is actually going to be (be that a £ pegged to the UK £, an independent £/other or Euro)?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did explain that 'rUK' is the generally accepted shorthand being used in Scotland for the 'rest of the UK' i.e. UK without Scotland - but you know that?

I didn't know what it meant either.

I have been following this issue since the SNP's election victory and I have NEVER seen that shorthand used except in this thread on this forum.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
A forum invention to remind a few posters on here that four countries make up the UK.

We all appreciate that, it appears there is only the odd republican scot who doesn't and wants to change everything and thinks that that the remainder of the UK only deserve a small r.

Still not heard the pro lobby's thoughts on what may happen when/if there happens to be a No vote.

D

Deleted member 18588

Well it is better than the alternate abbreviation of 'f ormer UK'
With a Nats slogan of 'Don't vote for f ormrer UK' sake.

But that's the point . If Scotland leaves the rest of us will still be the UK not the former, rump or rest of UK.