Scottish independence

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forgetting all the minor details like oil rights, currency, defence, border controls etc, what I really want to know is who would get to keep The Open?

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But if Scotland keep The Open then there could also be a British Open

Yep the point being that Britain would only be Engalnd, Wales and N. Ireland and the R&A dont seen to want to include NI in their plans - maybe it would provoke a re-thought on the incorporation of Royal Portrush??

Or have I misunderstood and the Independent Scotland would still be part of 'Britain'??

I agree that its an important factor in the decision of independence and as the R&A are at St Andrews and its the home of golf I would expect the Open to be in Scotland. Will I need a passport to go and see it?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep the point being that Britain would only be Engalnd, Wales and N. Ireland ?

Northern Ireland isn't in Great Britain. Northern Ireland is only in the United Kingdom (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)

So would it become: The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of even more importance in the eventuality of 'The Open' being played only north of the border following independence... Will it still be available to watch 'free to air' via the Beeb? Or will we have to divi up some dosh to a Scottish 'satellite' broadcaster?

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Northern Ireland isn't in Great Britain. Northern Ireland is only in the United Kingdom (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)

So would it become: The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Oopsy - apologies to all in NI who will be seething at me now!!

I would still like the schedule to incorporate Royal Portrush.

Does an Independant Scotland want to part of the United Kingdom - never thought about it really - maybe they don't which would mean we couldn't really used 'United' Kingdom as a title. And does that mean we cannot call Andy Murray British if he does well at a tournament any more?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sorry, no it wouldn't. Britain is not a country, it is the island, so Scotland still part of Britain the island.

The remaining nation would be something like United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, no it wouldn't. Britain is not a country, it is the island, so Scotland still part of Britain the island.

The remaining nation would be something like United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Ahh, I didn't know that about Britain being the island, thank you!

That makes more sense. I wasn't sure what would remain after, and made an innacurate stab in the dark! So this would potentially remove the word "British" from the common lexicon....

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a common misconception. Britain and UK have become virtually synonymous in general usage, both are effectively used as abbreviations of the full title United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
GB consists England, Wales, Scotland.

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site

Not true. Mr Salmond is building a large hacksaw and commissioning a fleet of tugs. As soon as independence is confirmed we will be detached from the rest of the island using the hacksaw and towed by tugboat to just off the coast of Tenerife.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not true. Mr Salmond is building a large hacksaw and commissioning a fleet of tugs. As soon as independence is confirmed we will be detached from the rest of the island using the hacksaw and towed by tugboat to just off the coast of Tenerife.

Lol! He's promised everything else but THAT might just get my vote!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ahh, the Scottish in the blazing sunshine, can you say lobster?