Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Why would that still be the case? I thought PGA and LIV kissed and made up?

There is a long way to go before anything changes and there is also the chance it won’t change

But also the European Ryder Cup committee could just as easily not give them the captaincy even if things do resolve themselves because of what’s happened - they picked a captain who decided it wasn’t the pinnacle and the other players decided that the Ryder Cup wasn’t as important as earning a significant amount more money

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a long way to go before anything changes and there is also the chance it won’t change

But also the European Ryder Cup committee could just as easily not give them the captaincy even if things do resolve themselves because of what’s happened - they picked a captain who decided it wasn’t the pinnacle and the other players decided that the Ryder Cup wasn’t as important as earning a significant amount more money
I would argue they naively felt it shouldn't affect their Ryder Cup chances rather than wilfully sacking it off, but we won't go down that route in this thread. I'll just say that in two years, or four years for the next European hosted one, when the Saudis own all of golf and are running things, this will all be water under the bridge and I'm sure those RC legends will all be perfectly eligible for captaincy. (y)

D

Deleted member 21445

I will be very surprised if Ludvig doesnt play in the morning foursomes.

His driving stats are that he is long but also one of the straightest hitters on the team, perfect for foursomes.

Striaight into the frying pan if so..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

His driving stats are that he is long but also one of the straightest hitters on the team, perfect for foursomes.

Everyone keeps saying he's the type to not be phased by much. Let's hope that's true.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would argue they naively felt it shouldn't affect their Ryder Cup chances rather than wilfully sacking it off, but we won't go down that route in this thread. I'll just say that in two years, or four years for the next European hosted one, when the Saudis own all of golf and are running things, this will all be water under the bridge and I'm sure those RC legends will all be perfectly eligible for captaincy. (y)

They aren’t daft - they all knew that there would be consequences , and that would have been enhanced even further when Stenson was removed from Captaincy - and if they thought they would still be having some part to play then maybe they are completely blind to everything or have tunnel vision. And it’s going to take a long time for any water under the bridge - I suspect we won’t see any of those that left become RC captains.

Saudi money May by the tour but it won’t buy or influence the RC

They will now look to the likes of Colsearts , Molinaris , Rose , Jimenez , Lawrie and it wouldn’t surprise me if Harrington was given the nod at

D

Deleted member 15344

Out of the rookies he is the one that is favourite to start in the first morning

Can see him being paired with Hovland

Morning Foursomes

Rory and Lowry
Rose and Rahm
Hovland and Aberg
Fleetwood and Hatton

Fourballs

Fitz and Hojgaard
Straka and Rahm
Rory and Bob
Hovland and Hatton

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
couple of questions for you

do you know if there are any popup merchandise shops in the centre of Rome, or any fan viewing areas - I don't think there are but would be good to know.
what's the cost of food and drink like?
do you know if there is any standing room at the side of the first tee?
We were in Rome last week and didn't see anything that mentioned the Ryder Cup at all. That said, it may have been too early and we were around the main tourist areas (Forum, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps) but we walked about 10 miles in total around the city and didn't see anything.

D

Deleted member 21445

We were in Rome last week and didn't see anything that mentioned the Ryder Cup at all. That said, it may have been too early and we were around the main tourist areas (Forum, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps) but we walked about 10 miles in total around the city and didn't see anything.
I worked for an Italian company in Milan for one year and still remain in touch with friends there.

They tell me that there is very little coverage across the media over there.

Golf is very much a minority sport in Italy and we are in early football season which is along with cycling the national sports.

I guess thats why they have taken the RC there to try and grow the game in Italy..
They really could have done with an Italian player qualifying for the team !!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just watched and listened to the tee introductions for the first match of the All-Star Ryder Cup 🫣 Think I’ll go back to it once all the matches have started…

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The GFs birthday tomorrow and we've got a load planned up until Sunday... I could weep...
The best birthday present you can give her is a super happy bloke - and that can still be you if she loves you and lets you watch the golf at least some of the time…she’ll come to understand you all the better 🥰

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
USA Ryder Cup side
About 5 of the team had not been born and the oldest member of the team would have been 9 when they last won in Europe
Message back from my son, interested if you agree : 'Heck of a set up. Course looks really nice, some great matchplay holes. Merch tent the size of a supermarket but eye wateringly expensive. 100 different water and food stalls across the course, lots of water fill up points'

After reading about issues at the Solheim Cup re course facilities, it sounds as though there will be no issues in Rome.

He had a great time, hope you enjoyed it (y)
Which makes the logistical shortcomings spectators had to endure at the SC so inexcusable and stark.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Mrs actually rather enjoys the Ryder Cup. Even though she doesn’t play the game she is fully aware that she has to show an interest given our possible son-in-law is a golf pro. And actually given she has put up with me watching Majors and RCs for 35yrs she has come to understand and enjoy the tension and excitement of the final stages of a major (she likes the Masters especially), and Ryder Cup matches.

You just gotta find the right girl, or, as in my case, she finds you.😍

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Interesting to see if the bigger crowds and more concentration on the course with people wanting to see 4 matches is still as good, but today fantastic as a spectator experience. Facilities the best I have seen at a golf event. Better than an Open. Food, free water availability, stands, signage, helpers and guides every 15 yards it seemed to help you, all speaking English. Flawless. Travel fine also. From Mammolo metro slow but comfortable coach and was about half an hour.
Course looked immaculate. Hilly. Not as much as Finca Cortesin Id guess but a lot of drmatic runoffs at the front of greens if you dont carry up the slope onto the greens. Rough thick, saw saw a few players doing well to hack 20yds back to the fairway.
Great day.

TheHeron

Visit site
My Mrs actually rather enjoys the Ryder Cup. Even though she doesn’t play the game she is fully aware that she has to show an interest given our possible son-in-law is a golf pro. And actually given she has put up with me watching Majors and RCs for 35yrs she has come to understand and enjoy the tension and excitement of the final stages of a major (she likes the Masters especially), and Ryder Cup matches.

You just gotta find the right girl, or, as in my case, she finds you.😍

For all the wonderful things about my partner, she'll be stubborn about her dislike of sport until the day we die. She's absolutely resolute on showing no interest whatsoever