Ryder Cup 2023 - Italy

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For all the wonderful things about my partner, she'll be stubborn about her dislike of sport until the day we die. She's absolutely resolute on showing no interest whatsoever
Mine’s the same, she’ll read a book while I’m watching golf or football. No interest whatsoever. Big games, me jumping up and down, she doesn’t flinch! However, and very bizarrely, she never misses the boat race! Every year our day is planned around it, she’ll sit and watch it on her own if I’m doing something else. She’s never rowed in her life, her explanation, and it’s a tenuous link, is that she was born in Oxford, that’s it.

TheHeron

Visit site
They'll just never understand. I've given up trying to get her an board. I remember when Villa got promoted 2 years after relegation and I couldn't hold it together, she said it was the most pathetic thing she'd ever seen (and she's seen me cry at the movie Babe at least twice in our long relationship...).
Would love nothing more then to share those sorts of moments with her but alas.

Red devil

Visit site
Interesting to see if the bigger crowds and more concentration on the course with people wanting to see 4 matches is still as good, but today fantastic as a spectator experience. Facilities the best I have seen at a golf event. Better than an Open. Food, free water availability, stands, signage, helpers and guides every 15 yards it seemed to help you, all speaking English. Flawless. Travel fine also. From Mammolo metro slow but comfortable coach and was about half an hour.
Course looked immaculate. Hilly. Not as much as Finca Cortesin Id guess but a lot of drmatic runoffs at the front of greens if you dont carry up the slope onto the greens. Rough thick, saw saw a few players doing well to hack 20yds back to the fairway.
Great day.
Agree with every word of this. I'm a frequent visitor to Italy and was fearing the worst, I needn't have.

Red devil

Visit site
For all the wonderful things about my partner, she'll be stubborn about her dislike of sport until the day we die. She's absolutely resolute on showing no interest whatsoever
I'm a lucky boy. My Mrs loves everything about sport. Watches football, golf, Olympics etc. In fact she's the one who puts the sport on before me. And she's here with me now in Rome.
If Carlsberg made partners.........

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm a lucky boy. My Mrs loves everything about sport. Watches football, golf, Olympics etc. In fact she's the one who puts the sport on before me. And she's here with me now in Rome.
If Carlsberg made partners.........
Yep same here - the wife is into sports as much as I am , she was a county golfer and has also played Hockey internationally, will watch every sport going

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looking at it all…I fear that the RC is on course to eating itself, not this time, maybe not next or the time after…but I just have a niggling fear for it. It‘s got so big, so all consuming, that eventually there is nothing left for it to eat other than itself.

Anyway…that said, still looking forward to it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They'll just never understand. I've given up trying to get her an board. I remember when Villa got promoted 2 years after relegation and I couldn't hold it together, she said it was the most pathetic thing she'd ever seen (and she's seen me cry at the movie Babe at least twice in our long relationship...).
Would love nothing more then to share those sorts of moments with her but alas.
I used to think my wife felt this way about golf, rolling her eyes when I mentioned it and so on. But then one day out of the blue she said she wanted to give it go. Cut forward a couple of years and she loves playing, but doesn't get to play anywhere near as much as I do. Largely because she only wants to play with me, and then we need to find a babysitter for the little one for five hours.

However, watching it is another thing entirely. She still has absolutely no interest in that. I've told her I'll be watching it on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, but she accepts it luckily - I don't watch or play much football anymore so I think she's fine with me watching the major golf tournaments. If she wants the telly for something else I just watch it on iPad anyway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to think my wife felt this way about golf, rolling her eyes when I mentioned it and so on. But then one day out of the blue she said she wanted to give it go. Cut forward a couple of years and she loves playing, but doesn't get to play anywhere near as much as I do. Largely because she only wants to play with me, and then we need to find a babysitter for the little one for five hours.

However, watching it is another thing entirely. She still has absolutely no interest in that. I've told her I'll be watching it on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, but she accepts it luckily - I don't watch or play much football anymore so I think she's fine with me watching the major golf tournaments. If she wants the telly for something else I just watch it on iPad anyway.
My wife now understands that she has to invest some time watching in the run up to the final holes of a comp or match - and try to get to recognise some of the main players and what is required of them. She'll also often decide on a favourite or two, and get invested in their progress.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

My wife knew that when she married me, she married rugby at the same time. That is my permitted sport, the one I am allowed to decline social invites and plan certain times of the year around (6 Nations). Anything else I get to watch is a bonus but luckily I can take or leave football and most golf. This is the one event I miss watching (not enough rugby on Sky to justify a subscription) but I may have it on the radio over the weekend.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've watched a fair few videos of people playing the course. The first one I saw was the no playing up guys who got absolutely battered. The place looked lush and rough completely brutal.
By now the place has taken a serious amount of sun and looks quite burnt out in lots of places. Certainly taken a bit of sting out of the rough. Can see sprinklers keeping a fair amount of lushness to the rough up to 20 yards from the fairway. Still fairly juicy around the greens. The pros are well used to chipping from lush rough so shouldn't be a problem but there will still be many knarly lies to contend with.
Looking forward to seeing how the course plays for them and how they approach it. Plenty of places where the fairways narrow right in so decisions will have to be made when to be aggressive.
I've the day off tomorrow so I'll be up first thing to watch the full day's coverage then out for a few holes after that myself.
Sat and Sunday I'm working but will be watching on my tablet.
Let's hope for a close contest. 🙏

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fleetwood Mac....... a good paring or a sports journalist's spark. :unsure:

I think Europe have a good team but I worry about the pairings, especially the foursomes.
Not many 'old partnerships' and the new ones look a big risk.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fleetwood Mac....... a good paring or a sports journalist's spark. :unsure:

I think Europe have a good team but I worry about the pairings, especially the foursomes.
Not many 'old partnerships' and the new ones look a big risk.
Why? Just put the safe hands out in the foursomes, I'd say. Rory/Lowry works well I think, and the likes of Fleetwood, Rahm and Rose are steady enough to be paired up with anyone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, what are people's predictions? I'm going 14.5-13.5 to Europe, with us leading going into Sunday but USA mounting a comeback in the singles, and it going right down the wire.