Ryder Cup 2021

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just get the feeling that it still feels far more important to the Europeans than it does to the Americans.
Win, lose or draw.

4LEX

Visit site
Great to see Poulter go out on a good note for everything he's given Europe over the years.

Captain for New York in 2025.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Good to see those that wrote off Poulter being proved wrong. Undefeated in Ryder Cup singles over his career is quite some record. Especially with many saying he wouldn't get past hole 12 today.

What, by winning a match that didn't mean anything?

Sign him up for the next one now.

He was shocking when it mattered.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some real legends of European Ryder Cups will have prob played their last

Westwood
Poulter
Garcia
Casey

Some outstanding players in Ryder Cups over the years

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really bothered to be honest, I had binned this or pigeon holed it as null and void. Actually most of the American home ones, are just a waste of time. They over use home advantage and the crowd is annoying..

The American side is good and the US tour is the “main” tour, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best or actually offers up the variety that makes golf the difficult or challenging game it is ..
I reckon they would all be rather embarrassed playing some club course where the greens are like porridge and the fox has had a wet dump in the bunker.

Swango1980

Visit site
It wasn't his fault that his match didn't mean anything. What more could he have done than win his point today? He played some decent golf yesterday while carrying McIlroy round in the four balls.

Some of the more scathing criticism is interesting. It is like many on this forum have never had a bad round of golf, or gone through a bad spell.

To try and put it in perspective, I tried to imagine myself and 11 others from my club had to go to the best club in the county (in terms of quality players) and play them scratch, Ryder Cup style. Meanwhile everyone else in their town spectator, cheering them on and cheering every crap shot I hit. Stick a few Sky TV cameras around the place, so people at home can watch and criticise my performance on forums. Not easy.

McIlroy and Poulter had a poor 1st 2 days. So did several others. But, fair play to them both today. Had they lost, people would have slated them even more, so of course the pressure was on. The simple fact is, the US are miles better as a team, and add the pressure of the crowd, it was always going to be a huge ask to push for a win.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I wondered how long it would be before we go from “ we have always been underdogs and come good”. To “ well we all knew the Americans were the favourites”.
Bottom line Europe apart from a couple were rubbish. Those that automatically qualified and some of the captains picks were shocking.
That said congrats to an excellent yank team and especially the captain

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the more scathing criticism is interesting. It is like many on this forum have never had a bad round of golf, or gone through a bad spell.

To try and put it in perspective, I tried to imagine myself and 11 others from my club had to go to the best club in the county (in terms of quality players) and play them scratch, Ryder Cup style. Meanwhile everyone else in their town spectator, cheering them on and cheering every crap shot I hit. Stick a few Sky TV cameras around the place, so people at home can watch and criticise my performance on forums. Not easy.

McIlroy and Poulter had a poor 1st 2 days. So did several others. But, fair play to them both today. Had they lost, people would have slated them even more, so of course the pressure was on. The simple fact is, the US are miles better as a team, and add the pressure of the crowd, it was always going to be a huge ask to push for a win.

I can't disagree with the McIlroy comment but I don't think Poulter was that bad yesterday, it was just unfortunate that his partner didn't turn up. It's difficult to try to carry round a partner that isn't contributing.

But I would agree that the USA have played far better than the European team over the last three days. We just don't seem to have holed as many putts as they did over the three days.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wondered how long it would be before we go from “ we have always been underdogs and come good”. To “ well we all knew the Americans were the favourites”.
Bottom line Europe apart from a couple were rubbish. Those that automatically qualified and some of the captains picks were shocking.
Who would you have picked as captain?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

america were always favourites, they had 8 guys in the top 10 in the world and all 12 of their side in the top 20, home advantage and a golf course that was a better fit
in such they were 1/2 (67% favs pre event)
which captains picks were shocking and who would you have picked instead?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once it gets to game over should it just be a case of half/half for the rest of the matches? There seems no point the players being out on the course when it doesn't matter any more.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't disagree with the McIlroy comment but I don't think Poulter was that bad yesterday, it was just unfortunate that his partner didn't turn up. It's difficult to try to carry round a partner that isn't contributing.

But I would agree that the USA have played far better than the European team over the last three days. We just don't seem to have holed as many putts as they did over the three days.

They are better players, the world rankings tell us that.
I'm sure that the Europeans gave 100% and that is all one could ask of them ........................... they were beaten by better players.