Ryder Cup 2021

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once it gets to game over should it just be a case of half/half for the rest of the matches? There seems no point the players being out on the course when it doesn't matter any more.
Whenever I have played in team games and we have won or lost but matches are still on the course we play to a finish. If I was 2 up with three holes to play I wouldn’t be happy if I had to concede and only get a half. I know I could still lose and get nothing but I would rather carry on until the match was over.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always going to be difficult in US against a strong team with no away fans. Pleased Euros appear to have lost with grace and togetherness in the press conference.

I feel like there are a few positives in there - Rahm wins, Hoveland and Lowry given experience and played well, Garcia still good enough.

Think we’ll have a strong team in 23 if just a couple of players come through.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wondered how long it would be before we go from “ we have always been underdogs and come good”. To “ well we all knew the Americans were the favourites”.
Both of those things are true though. The talent pool the US have is ridiculous. Horschel, ranked 18 in the world, didn't even make their team, while our team only had 3 or 4 players ranked higher than that. Poulter is ranked 50. Whenever we do win it it should be considered a huge upset.

It's about time we made it US vs rest of the world, at least we could call up Louis, Hideki and Cam Smith then.

D

Deleted member 15344

Both of those things are true though. The talent pool the US have is ridiculous. Horschel, ranked 18 in the world, didn't even make their team, while our team only had 3 or 4 players ranked higher than that. Poulter is ranked 50. Whenever we do win it it should be considered a huge upset.

It's about time we made it US vs rest of the world, at least we could call up Louis, Hideki and Cam Smith then.

We have won 9 out of the last 12 so why would we need to make it rest of the world ?‍♂️

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basically, the US team was much stronger than the Europe team, moreso than in recent years. That was amplified a bit by the home field advantage and the rather boorish crowd behaviour, but fundamentally we lost it on the course.

Next time round, Casey, Westwood, Poulter, maybe Garcia will be past it, so we need new players - Perez, Migliozzi, MacIntyre, one or both Hojgaard etc in instead. The core of that US team could run for another decade.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at the young talent US have waiting in the wings, against basically zero for us.

It’s just sport, there are peaks and troughs as generations move on. Europe have hit a trough at a bad time while the USA have hit a peak with some fresh talent in form or on the ascendency that is all. Europe will be fine, John Rahm was unheard of just over 4 years ago - a lot hapens in 4 years of golf. By the time the cup moves back on US soil both teams could be very different.

It’ll be fine.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have won 9 out of the last 12 so why would we need to make it rest of the world ?‍♂️
Because people love to make knee jerk reactions when things go wrong - happens all the time!

"It has worked for years but didn't work this time, lets change everything to make sure it works properly next time! - makes me mad :mad::mad:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Interesting that 3 of the qualifiers failed to register a point whereas the 3 picks all made at least 1 point...
Not beyond the realms of possibility, in 2 years time, that the US team turns up with 3 or 4 qualifiers badly out of form while the European team hole putts for fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s just sport, there are peaks and troughs as generations move on. Europe have hit a trough at a bad time while the USA have hit a peak with some fresh talent in form or on the ascendency that is all. Europe will be fine, John Rahm was unheard of just over 4 years ago - a lot hapens in 4 years of golf. By the time the cup moves back on US soil both teams could be very different.

It’ll be fine.
I'm more worried about the next one in two years?? I feel like the record of us winning at home for the last however many years could be in jeopardy. I imagine the old guard will be out (Poulter, Westwood, maybe Casey as well) but I'm not sure what sort of player we'll have replacing them. Other than Bob MacIntyre who I rate highly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Look at the young talent US have waiting in the wings, against basically zero for us.
3 of the top ten in the Amatuer rankings are European - they said after 2008 it would be US Domination - then they said it again after 2016.

Playing in Europe with European Fans is going to make a big difference and 2 years is a long time in golf

Imo you are reacting like a football fan - when you lose once it’s knee jerk reactions

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 of the top ten in the Amatuer rankings are European - they said after 2008 it would be US Domination - then they said it again after 2016.

Playing in Europe with European Fans is going to make a big difference and 2 years is a long time in golf

Imo you are reacting like a football fan - when you lose once it’s knee jerk reactions
It's not really knee-jerk since most of us said we'd get annihilated before it even started. We just lost by a record margin, and they have great young players who didn't even make the team, whereas we were calling up 45-year-olds. It's hard to see the immediate future as being rosy.

That said, I still enjoy watching it all, even if we get beat. It's just nicer to win of course.