Ryder Cup 2021

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
In my head Casey and Hovland will be unbeatable so we’ll likely never see them again after today - top match is an absolute cracker

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Westy/fitzy ??
I guess Harrington knows what he's up to, but this seems a bit of a stretch.
I reckon 2-2 is a best case, followed by carnage in the afternoon.
Really hoping not, but it looks a bit desperate already.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
However they're paired up on paper it looks bad for Europe, but this is 18 hole matchplay and we all know anything can happen.
I'm hopeful of a small lead for Europe after day one.

But don't ask me where it's coming from!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I watched Dan Hendrickson's Ryder Cup match on YouTube (excellent viewing and thoroughly recommended) and it was a thriller. :)

Edited for spoiler ;)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Matches 1 and 4 are very interesting, hopefully will live up to the expectation.

Initially I was a bit 'meh' about matches 2 and 3, thinking the USA would easily take the points; but now I'm thinking they are a bit more interesting and can see Match 3 as a potential cracker with Westwood's experience and hopefully Koepka's indifference and individuality putting pressure on Berger. Much as I like Hovland, I just think DJ and Morikawa is a cracking pairing. Would take 2-2 at the end of the session, head says 2.5 to 1.5 USA.

Swango1980

Visit site
https://uk.loropiana.com/en/c/man/ryder-cup

The official Ryder Cup attire for EU..

Jacket: £2095
Vest: £1720
Jumper:£1455
Polo: £655
Belt: £440
Trousers: £745

Unreal ?
Sorry to bring it up again, but had to open this website again this morning at work for myself and mate to have a laugh about the prices.

Ryder Cup Parka = £3,815. What has a Parka jacket got to do with the Ryder Cup? I'll tell you, they simply called it "28Matches Travel Parka", therefore the name is inspired by how many games they play in the Ryder Cup. That is the only connection. Would love to see someone with more money than sense buy it, and play golf in it.

Plain black jumper = £1,535 (I could buy one of similar style for £5 on Amazon).

Back to today, I'm quietly confident for Europe, despite knowing anything could happen. Listening to many of the player interviews last night, it seems that Americans simply never play match play when growing up, certainly not foursomes. Same game, but completely different mindset. I've been awful in medals / stableford last few years, as I cannot string 18 holes together. But, I do very well in match play as there is no stress about having the odd disaster. It is a tactical battle against your opponent, not just the marathon of building a score. So, I hope that experience really helps the Europeans.

Mind you, surprisingly in Casey's interview, he went further and said some clubs in UK only let you on if you play foursomes, to speed up play. I've never heard of this, is this a thing? Although, the hilarious part of his interview was he vividly described a Ryder Cup match he played in in the past, where Europe were 6-2 down, won his match, Westy and the boys did the business in the afternoon and then Europe ended up winning. After he gave his beautiful story, the journalists corrected him, saying Europe were actually 6-2 up at that point, not down.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
These could go either way.

Westwood couldn't keep his driver on the planet at the BMW. But that might not be too much of an issue with this course setup.

Morikawa went from being the best iron player in the world by a country mile, to not being able to hit a green from 100yards due to his back. But if DJ drives it well he'll have a lot of mid irons into the par 5s.

Who knows ?‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
DeChambeau one of the form players going into the Ryder Cup, but Stricker probably does not see him as a foursomes player. Probably right, but would have been very interested to see him in the foursomes, see what he does. I guess he'll be in the gym lifting weights this morning, ready to smash his ball all over the place in the fourballs

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Old Hunstanton is predominantly 2 balls or Foursomes.

They have very specific times when other formats are acceptable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
DeChambeau one of the form players going into the Ryder Cup, but Stricker probably does not see him as a foursomes player. Probably right, but would have been very interested to see him in the foursomes, see what he does. I guess he'll be in the gym lifting weights this morning, ready to smash his ball all over the place in the fourballs
I guess nobody wants to partner him, but you'd have thought putting BDC with the best wedge player in the team for foursomes would have made sense on paper wouldn't you?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess nobody wants to partner him, but you'd have thought putting BDC with the best wedge player in the team for foursomes would have made sense on paper wouldn't you?

Definitely, you need on point wedge skills when you're playing your shot from behind a huge tree on a different fairway ?

petema99

Visit site
Sorry to bring it up again, but had to open this website again this morning at work for myself and mate to have a laugh about the prices.

Ryder Cup Parka = £3,815. What has a Parka jacket got to do with the Ryder Cup? I'll tell you, they simply called it "28Matches Travel Parka", therefore the name is inspired by how many games they play in the Ryder Cup. That is the only connection. Would love to see someone with more money than sense buy it, and play golf in it.

Plain black jumper = £1,535 (I could buy one of similar style for £5 on Amazon).

Back to today, I'm quietly confident for Europe, despite knowing anything could happen. Listening to many of the player interviews last night, it seems that Americans simply never play match play when growing up, certainly not foursomes. Same game, but completely different mindset. I've been awful in medals / stableford last few years, as I cannot string 18 holes together. But, I do very well in match play as there is no stress about having the odd disaster. It is a tactical battle against your opponent, not just the marathon of building a score. So, I hope that experience really helps the Europeans.

Mind you, surprisingly in Casey's interview, he went further and said some clubs in UK only let you on if you play foursomes, to speed up play. I've never heard of this, is this a thing? Although, the hilarious part of his interview was he vividly described a Ryder Cup match he played in in the past, where Europe were 6-2 down, won his match, Westy and the boys did the business in the afternoon and then Europe ended up winning. After he gave his beautiful story, the journalists corrected him, saying Europe were actually 6-2 up at that point, not down.

Still a few strict 2-ball courses around, e.g. Brancaster, Rye, etc. Can obviously play your own ball as a pair, but for four people has to be foursomes

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

..but still only 100 yards from the green on a par 5. :p

I think Europe would have loved to see BDC in the foursomes, it would mean Stricker is Captain Clueless......

Different story when he rocks up in the afternoon, paired with a steady player he will be part of a formidable fourball. In theory, but hopefully form deserts him.

Visit site
Woking, West Sussex, Rye are all courses quite local to me who I think insist on 2 balls or foursomes golf. It’s possibly only on weekends or at certain times that this applies.

I believe Hindhead stopped playing annual matches vs Woking as they would play 4ball better ball at our course, but insisted on foursomes only when visiting their place. It is our belief that 4 ball golf is better ?‍♂️

Sat in front of the TV already, like a kid at Christmas. Hope the US fans don’t ruin it for everyone.