Rick Shiels/Claude Harmon vid

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get down into those comments, smash that like button…mate, why don’t you fffff…is swearing still banned in the forum?

They’ve got to earn money I guess but it puts me right off. I’m very picky with which ones I watch these days, haven’t watched a single driver review, find them boring. I’ll probably watch them in a few years when I’m deciding between a second hand stealth or stick to my m2!

I’ll watch this RS one (that started the thread!), but I’m not subscribing, no chance.

As for the shorts, I think I watched a couple to start with, now they just clog up the feed.

Any can save you the effort, if the driver is from a big name company who are relied on to send test clubs, give access to players and events or may be a future sponsor, then it is the best club in the world.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get down into those comments, smash that like button…mate, why don’t you fffff…is swearing still banned in the forum?

They’ve got to earn money I guess but it puts me right off. I’m very picky with which ones I watch these days, haven’t watched a single driver review, find them boring. I’ll probably watch them in a few years when I’m deciding between a second hand stealth or stick to my m2!

I’ll watch this RS one (that started the thread!), but I’m not subscribing, no chance.

As for the shorts, I think I watched a couple to start with, now they just clog up the feed.

I like his break 75 and 10 shot against a tour pro challenge

evemccc

Visit site
Guess they all have the same problem, after review season, what do you do. Until you get access to pros, press junkets and big course invites, there are only so many lessons and rounds at the local course that people will watch.

Teach people? With their fame these days they could earn a lot of money by being teaching pros….Why is that such a problem?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Teach people? With their fame these days they could earn a lot of money by being teaching pros….Why is that such a problem?

It is a problem in so far as creating varied Youtube content several times a year, week in, week out. There is only so much you can do with that. I am sure Golf Monthly has the same problem, the pattern and content of the magazine can be seen (or at least it used to) repeat itself each year. Yes, plenty they can do outside of youtube but creating varied content without acce to pros, events, big course to Vlog etc is tricky.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going back to the Harmon lesson, very interesting viewing that. Crazy to think a pro such as shields who can beat 75 (sometimes!), isn’t getting the weight transfer correct and is thinning his irons. This is my main problem, results in fats as well as thins, missing the green short right etc. Some great things to work on. I liked the one where he paused at hip height, then back down.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Seems odd though. Obviously just trying to boost subscribers on that one. I didn't even know it existed, I've only ever seen his main one.
He is trying to boost figures on that channel but it was an extension to a podcast he did with Claude so it fit perfectly as a bonus episode……and to draw people in.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, back to the original video I thought it was very interesting. I think proper weight transfer is something most struggle with.

Rick does seem a bit more genuine than PF too which I like

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, back to the original video I thought it was very interesting. I think proper weight transfer is something most struggle with.

Rick does seem a bit more genuine than PF too which I like
I agree interesting.
I must admit Claude rattles on a bit.
What I find interesting is Rick is quite a renowned coach(is he not)?
Didn’t I see him in a list of top coaches.
Surely weight transfer is pretty standard,especially for a pro.
Why can’t RS see this simple and probably standard problem himself.
I would think he’s near the £100 an hour mark.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was also a little disappointed with the lesson too.

I'd like to have seen him tackle Rick's tendency to hook the ball.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree interesting.

As is evident in general life, sometimes it not obvious to see the problems with yourself.

Are you saying Rick is £100 an hour or Claude is? I think last time I saw a lesson price from RS he was about £80 a lesson. I imagine Claude is significatly more expensive, if he even offers them to anyone.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I was also a little disappointed with the lesson too.

I'd like to have seen him tackle Rick's tendency to hook the ball.

I think this will actually help with that, I think Rick hangs back and can get the club stuck behind him coming too much from the inside, then add in hands that are too active closing down the face and there comes your bad hook shot.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I think this will actually help with that, I think Rick hangs back and can get the club stuck behind him coming too much from the inside, then add in hands that are too active closing down the face and there comes your bad hook shot.
Harmon pointed this out during the lesson. He drew lines on his screen showing where the club face was pointing at impact. Because of his lack of weight transfer it was pointing way left.

As an aside. After watching the video I went into the garage and videoed myself while focusing on weight transfer. I'm still not getting it. I'm focused on it, but I can't get the hips turning early enough. Back to the garage.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As is evident in general life, sometimes it not obvious to see the problems with yourself.

Are you saying Rick is £100 an hour or Claude is? I think last time I saw a lesson price from RS he was about £80 a lesson. I imagine Claude is significatly more expensive, if he even offers them to anyone.

I think I heard him say hes 300 dollars to members of Floridan and 700 maybe to anyone who wants to pony up the cash.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I’m sure on CH podcast he was 375 an hour.
A fair price I suppose

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Harmon pointed this out during the lesson. He drew lines on his screen showing where the club face was pointing at impact. Because of his lack of weight transfer it was pointing way left.

As an aside. After watching the video I went into the garage and videoed myself while focusing on weight transfer. I'm still not getting it. I'm focused on it, but I can't get the hips turning early enough. Back to the garage.

Don't think about turning your hips.

Your hips turning are a function of you shifting your weight and then applying force down into the ground (backwards and away from the target line @ 45 degrees or so) This causes your left leg to straighten and as a result your hips will turn.

Swing from the ground up. ?

The 'step' drill in the video is a great way of shifting earlier, but you have to step and shift before you reach the top of your backswing. Some pros start shifting back towards target before the club is just past parallel on the takeaway.

Last edited:

YandaB

Visit site
Excellent video and just what I needed! I was very surprised that he says what not to do, "Don't go backwards with your weight" rather than something more positive like "keep the weight forwards".

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree interesting.
Interestingly Claude Harmon himself claims to be a pretty average golfer and says his handicap would be around 8-10 if he had one. Though I think his problems are physical limitations rather than lack of personal knowledge about his own swing.