Practice

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
but even then, hitting range balls that don't spin off a fat rubber tee which I'm not sure is the right height doesn't really appeal!
I feel this comment so much. I do go to the range, but usually when my irons have gone badly off, and rarely for driver for this reason, tee is wrong height, balls are terrible, are you really learning that much?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel this comment so much. I do go to the range, but usually when my irons have gone badly off, and rarely for driver for this reason, tee is wrong height, balls are terrible, are you really learning that much?
Yeah. Driver has been my problem lately, and slicing in particularly. Driving range balls don't spin as much so I hit 15 of them with a nice gentle fade and think I've cracked it. Then back out on the course I'm slicing again. I have to remind myself that on the range I need to be hitting them almost frozen-rope straight to be able to say I've achieved anything. 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My range has the driving range version of Trackman so I tend to use their "guesstimation" as to whether it is good. The balls are not great although every so often there are proper balls that have strayed from the course and so they are the one I pay most attention to in terms of flight and direction

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Short game session last night. What a crock of crap. I had been feeling more positive about it all but this feels like I have regressed. I spent time on the putter on Sunday and last night I had no feel - either 6 feet short or 6 feet past. And now the back has tightened up and feeling sore in time for H4H. Stick me down for 25 points - flat out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit the range last night. Small tweak to the Eureka swing and path of hand through impact and difference was night and day. Even managed a bit of time on the chipping green using an old contraption called a V-Easy. Yes desperate times for desperate measures. If only I knew who invented it and they were on here. So much more connected, something I always struggle with hence the poor strikes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit the range last night. Small tweak to the Eureka swing and path of hand through impact and difference was night and day. Even managed a bit of time on the chipping green using an old contraption called a V-Easy. Yes desperate times for desperate measures. If only I knew who invented it and they were on here. So much more connected, something I always struggle with hence the poor strikes
I have moved slightly away from Eureka, or perhaps modified it. I was finding that sometimes having the feet open but keeping shoulders square was a bit tricky and my shoulders were creeping open and making my slice worse - particularly with driver. Now I have the feet back pretty square but just flare out the left foot to about 45° to still encourage me to turn onto that side. I still have to think of my club path as being in-to-out as well to stop me cutting across the ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have moved slightly away from Eureka, or perhaps modified it. I was finding that sometimes having the feet open but keeping shoulders square was a bit tricky and my shoulders were creeping open and making my slice worse - particularly with driver. Now I have the feet back pretty square but just flare out the left foot to about 45° to still encourage me to turn onto that side. I still have to think of my club path as being in-to-out as well to stop me cutting across the ball.
If it works then crack on. Look at the top guys over the years. Floyd, Trevino, Furyk, Bubba hardly conventional but they did ok.

I was working on a bit flatter following the right hand line and making the left hand exit more towards the middle line. Lovely strike and a soft draw

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it works then crack on. Look at the top guys over the years. Floyd, Trevino, Furyk, Bubba hardly conventional but they did ok.

I was working on a bit flatter following the right hand line and making the left hand exit more towards the middle line. Lovely strike and a soft draw
I think there are a few who flair the left foot out. Here's Ryan Fox for example:

1-fox.png

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was playing well a couple of years ago I had a much-shortened backswing. Last night at the driving range I tried to re-implement that to see if it would produce straighter shots, but to my surprise I couldn't do it anymore! With the swing changes I've made this year, shortening my backswing seemed to throw my tempo off completely, and I pretty much duffed it every time. On the plus side, I've been trying to create a nice smooth tempo in my swing, so perhaps I can frame this as a good thing in that the full-swing tempo is actually bedding in and I shouldn't disrupt that.

But the same problems persists - it's hard work not to lose my drives to the right. Each round I seem to chuck in two massive slices off the tee. Would it be weird to use a stronger grip on driver than you do on other clubs? I sometimes feel that when I'm closing the face well with driver, I'm over-closing it with irons and hooking some - and versa - when I'm striking irons better I'm leaving the face open with driver.

sjw

Visit site
When I was playing well a couple of years ago I had a much-shortened backswing. Last night at the driving range I tried to re-implement that to see if it would produce straighter shots, but to my surprise I couldn't do it anymore! With the swing changes I've made this year, shortening my backswing seemed to throw my tempo off completely, and I pretty much duffed it every time. On the plus side, I've been trying to create a nice smooth tempo in my swing, so perhaps I can frame this as a good thing in that the full-swing tempo is actually bedding in and I shouldn't disrupt that.

But the same problems persists - it's hard work not to lose my drives to the right. Each round I seem to chuck in two massive slices off the tee. Would it be weird to use a stronger grip on driver than you do on other clubs? I sometimes feel that when I'm closing the face well with driver, I'm over-closing it with irons and hooking some - and versa - when I'm striking irons better I'm leaving the face open with driver.
I use a slightly stronger grip on driver, which makes sense in my head because my body is behind the ball at setup rather than level with it 🤷‍♂️

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

NO expert, but here is something that may be of use. When I had lessons earlier in the year, the pro gave me a different takeaway for driver than with the othe rclubs. The psoition atthe midpoint of the backswing is the same,