youtube adverts

Fabia999

Visit site
I've been watching some golf youtube. Rick Shiels to be exact.

To start the video you'd need to watch 2 adverts, 3 more 2:30 in and 3 more 5:12 in. 8 adverts in 5 minutes.

Yes, I can skip them, block them or not watch them at all but this is getting to the point where it's not even worth watching because of the amount of adverts now.

Just needed to moan to someone about this!

is it just me or are the amount of adverts getting hiked up recently?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been watching some golf youtube. Rick Shiels to be exact.

To start the video you'd need to watch 2 adverts, 3 more 2:30 in and 3 more 5:12 in. 8 adverts in 5 minutes.

Yes, I can skip them, block them or not watch them at all but this is getting to the point where it's not even worth watching because of the amount of adverts now.

Just needed to moan to someone about this!

is it just me or are the amount of adverts getting hiked up recently?
Youtube ads are just a fact of life of basic Youtube life, I can subscribe to the No Adverts service and ads won't be a bother for me.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are watching free content and complaining about the adverts. How about commercials on a tv that you can't skip.
If you dont want to see adverts sign for youtube premium.
How else youtubers gone make money from doing free videos if not sponsors and advertising company.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You are watching free content and complaining about the adverts. How about commercials on a tv that you can't skip.
How else youtubers gone make money from doing free videos if not sponsors and advertising company.
✅
They are a pain in the butt though.....;)

Fabia999

Visit site

Yep completely get that. but when does it stop? 8 adverts in 5 minutes is extreme imo

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep completely get that. but when does it stop? 8 adverts in 5 minutes is extreme imo

Like most things, the advertising stops when you pay for the service. Until then you are going to get ads every few minutes with a percentage of those being unskipable.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's not complaining about the advertising. He's complaining about how many. You'd be well pissed of if you're 1 hour program had 40 minutes of advertising. I agree. It is getting silly.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They seem to be placed at the worst moments as well…on the backswing, putt just reaching the hole etc. it’s very annoying. I used the free trial so that I could download some for holiday in the summer, really missed it when it ended! Not paying that much to watch golf vlogs though, no chance.

sjw

Visit site
What if I told you that it's up to the video creator where in the video the ads appear?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
They seem to be placed at the worst moments as well…on the backswing, putt just reaching the hole etc. it’s very annoying. I used the free trial so that I could download some for holiday in the summer, really missed it when it ended! Not paying that much to watch golf vlogs though, no chance.

Where else would you place them except just before the "money shot" that everyone wants to see?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What if I told you that it's up to the video creator where in the video the ads appear?

I alwasy assumed it was as some content creators say 'see you after this advert' just before it cuts in. Ad revenue is how these channels make money so the more they can fit in, the more they make. That is what has happened to most channels, it stopped being a hobby or a side line and it became a career and so they need to churn out as much content as possible with ad many ads as possible to keep the money coming in.

Sadly, what started out as an alternative to the mainstream media on all sorts of topics has now become the mainstream media and reliant on press junkets, freebies and review samples and so that sense of independence and freedom from constraints such as the relationship with manufacturers has now pretty much ended.

sjw

Visit site
Rick Shiels seemed to have a lot more adverts on his stuff with Good Good. I can only assume he's cashing in on their popularity. It's the guy's living, so I don't really blame him.

I use an ad blocker on my PC and my phone anyway, so I only see the ads on the smart TV

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rick Shiels seemed to have a lot more adverts on his stuff with Good Good. I can only assume he's cashing in on their popularity. It's the guy's living, so I don't really blame him.

I use an ad blocker on my PC and my phone anyway, so I only see the ads on the smart TV

Rick has 2.37million. Good good 1.01 million followers.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He's not complaining about the advertising. He's complaining about how many. You'd be well pissed of if you're 1 hour program had 40 minutes of advertising. I agree. It is getting silly.
If I could go and watch latest movie in the cinema for free and the down side would be watching few adverts here and there through out the movie I wouldn't mind.
If adverts annoy anybody on free content just pay premium.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Where else would you place them except just before the "money shot" that everyone wants to see?

It’s daft, because the timing is off, for example, the ad cuts in at the top of the backswing, and then the video restarts after the ball has been hit. By all means stick an advert in just before the swing, but in the middle is daft and I personally stop watching.

The other thing is, I don’t watch the adverts! Couldn’t tell you who advertises on them, let alone go and buy their products.

Modern life eh.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I could go and watch latest movie in the cinema for free and the down side would be watching few adverts here and there through out the movie I wouldn't mind.
If adverts annoy anybody on free content just pay premium.
You're not getting the point at all. For years we've had ads on YouTube. The op has conceded to that. He is saying they are getting worse. They've managed to post content before so why the change? Money!!!! That's why. Yes you are free to spend the £30 or whatever it is for premium. But he is just posting about his distaste. I am simply agreeing that they are getting worse. That's it!!!

sjw

Visit site
Rick has 2.37million. Good good 1.01 million followers.
So? They are incredibly popular and growing very quickly, as Rick says himself. They're also much bigger in the US than Rick likely is. What point are you trying to make here?

Reactions: SyR

Mandofred

Visit site
At least for now, I signed up for advert free YouTube.....I think it is about £12 a month. More than one of my streaming services.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Most American made 1 hour long serial programs only have about 25 minutes of new content.
Most UK ones 40
When they are shown on a Channel with advertising.