Return to Golf in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Back to the original question. I was really hopeful it would be the 11th we would get back playing but I suppose it is more likely to the end of the month now.

I still do not see the risk in golf or for people who live in flats to be able to sit in a park whilst observing social distancing.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think the Scot Gov are having a particularly good performance during the crisis, but the bar is set so low in London that anyone who is across a bit of detail, doesn't try to hide anything and speaks with genuine compassion and concern looks head and shoulders above anyone else.

I think there are lots of things that could be done, especially at a UK level and resources spent completely differently - rather than falling over themselves to make huge payouts to businesses and keep salaries flowing.

1. Random sample testing... 1000 or so a week would provide excellent information about the scale of the virus in the population. As it is by only testing, primarily, very sick people and not even testing people with mild symptoms it is difficult to make assessment as to what stage we are in the cycle of this and what actions are effective or ineffective. I have only come to realise the importance of testing in the last few weeks, but politicians must have had academics screaming this at them.

2. Care homes. It seems a huge issue in care homes is that vast majority of staff are low paid and don't receive much sick pay and would therefore find it v difficult to self-isolate (with no pay) unless they were actually too ill to work. Resources would have been far better spent giving care home staff proper sick pay as well as mandatory testing for all staff to ensure these were safe places for old people. Even providing residential accommodation (and appropriate financial compensation) for a core number of staff so they could keep a care home running with minimal risk of infection.

3. Obviously back in February and March, allowing foreign travel to continue for so long with no restrictions, quarantines, guidance for people returning from Italy or Spain. Enforcing no restrictions on Cheltenham and football matches up to they effectively cancelled themsleves on 7 / 8 March.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
That may be true but if they could build a hospital with thousands of empty beds could the people in care homes not be thinned out and housed there for a kick off?
It just seems to me that the care homes were forgotten about when half the deaths were taking place there.
Ken if i had a crystal ball to answer that question i'd be a rich man , its a very sad situation that this country is in caused by government incompetence from the very start . In general 2 things that i don't comment on or argue about are politics and religion but just now the conservative government are a shambles.

My son stays in New Zealand they did the right thing it wasn't 100 percent liked by the people but they dealt with the situation and now there coming to end of the crisis ,while they were doing that we still had Cheltenham races and Cahmp league games with people flying in from Madrid one of the worst areas hit , the mind boggles and today i read about Kyle Walker breaking lockdown 3 times in one day after Man City already warning him about his prior conduct .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As mentioned elsewhere my Mrs is a real fan of the Scottish FM and is generally impressed by the FMs briefings.

But then again as @Grant85 says - she only has only the #10 briefings with which to make comparisons - and no matter how big a fan of the current gov you might be it is unfortunately not that easy to refute @stevek1969s conclusion with any great conviction and honesty. We hope they have all learned the lessons needing learnt and the way ahead becomes clear.

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
Better safe than sorry.

on a side note as a proud Scot, NS and her disgusting party do not speak for me, my family or the overwhelmingly vast majority of my friends and colleagues.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mother is in a care home in Kent's neck of the woods, I am in daily contact with the home.
They have no cases of CV and both nurses and management have told me that they have had no problem with PPE.
The only minor problem they had was early on when they were a bit short staffed due to staff self isolating, this was covered by volunteers.
The staff live in fear as they have approx 40% dementia residents who wander at will throughout the home. Non dementia residents are confined to their rooms.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't say that I've found that myself, but I would admit that I am only seeing her in fleeting moments on what is possibly slightly biased media. But there is still now talk of stopping people at the border, and that does seem to me a little bit like a grab at mini-indepence.

This thread has turned very political, but then the question of when golf will open up is understandably in the hands of governments.

How about turning that on it's head and saying that England's refusal to leave lockdown with the other three nations of the United Kingdom is England's little grab at independence.
Just another way of looking at it that you probably have not considered.

Mick68

Visit site
Better safe than sorry.

on a side note as a proud Scot, NS and her disgusting party do not speak for me, my family or the overwhelmingly vast majority of my friends and colleagues.
They speak for me, all of my extended family and most of my friends. Not sure why they're disgusting either - is it just because you disagree with them. The truly disgusting are sitting on the govt benches in WM. We're quite a divided wee country/region at the moment.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
How about turning that on it's head and saying that England's refusal to leave lockdown with the other three nations of the United Kingdom is England's little grab at independence.
Just another way of looking at it that you probably have not considered.
Because England/UK might have a guy in charge that I'm not a fan of, but to my knowledge he hasn't ever campaigned for independence. Scotland has someone in charge who has, and still does. That's her whole shtick. I mean, her party is called the Scottish National Party.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They speak for me, all of my extended family and most of my friends. Not sure why they're disgusting either - is it just because you disagree with them. The truly disgusting are sitting on the govt benches in WM. We're quite a divided wee country/region at the moment.
Just take a look at all the scandals this year for a start
That creep Mackay is about to collect a £12k bonus for leaving ministerial office. Looking after their own, beggars belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.