Random Irritations

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, it’s not for you to decide. :)

I'm not trying to decide. Just putting forward my opinion. They could put it in the Olympics and award gold medals for it and I still won't consider it a sport. They're definitely not athletes. And that's not me defining the word athlete it's the OED...."a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise". Sitting in a chair twiddling your thumbs on a controller isn't physical exercise.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not trying to decide. Just putting forward my opinion. They could put it in the Olympics and award gold medals for it and I still won't consider it a sport. They're definitely not athletes. And that's not me defining the word athlete it's the OED...."a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise". Sitting in a chair twiddling your thumbs on a controller isn't physical exercise.
Yep, they’re proficient in sports (in this case esports) so they meet the definition you used.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Or an athletic physical performance art that is packaged and presented as entertainment for the purposes of capitalistic gain.

Hate to break the news. But. That’s games.
I don’t want to hurt your feelings but you might have noticed that many sports use the term games. It doesn’t make it not a sport. Honestly, I get that you’re just unwilling to accept something that you aren’t interested in as a sport but esports meet the definition and thus are sports.