Random Irritations

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s called competitive gaming within the “betting” cricket - and electronic sports.

So whilst it’s no doubt skillful , competitive and earns some people a lot of money I’m not sure it can be classed as a sport in the traditional sense
Traditions don’t dictate the meaning of words though and words evolve. Esports are sports.

D

Deleted member 1418

'Gaming' is the newest addiction in my opinion, especially for young kids/teenagers. Have had to limit my two boys time on their consoles as their personalities just totally change the longer they're on them. Wish we'd never got them the bloody things.

Got to admire the game makers though for the way they rake in the cash.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
'Gaming' is the newest addiction in my opinion, especially for young kids/teenagers. Have had to limit my two boys time on their consoles as their personalities just totally change the longer they're on them. Wish we'd never got them the bloody things.

Got to admire the game makers though for the way they rake in the cash.

Newest? Gaming consoles have been around for 30 or 40 years ?
I'm sure I remember playing an Atari back in the late 70s ?

D

Deleted member 1418

Newest? Gaming consoles have been around for 30 or 40 years ?
I'm sure I remember playing an Atari back in the late 70s ?

True, but when I look at what's available to the kids now compared to what was available back then it's mental.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd put it in the same category as chess. Undoubtedly takes a lot of practise and skill but not a sport IMO.
Chess isn't a sport as there's zero physical skill involved. An expert player could instruct a total beginner to play a perfect game. This was why Bridge was refused when it wanted to be a sport.

tbh I'm not comfortable with esports as sports but there's no way you could just listen to in-game instructions and play any esport well.

Anyway, isn't this discussion a bit too involved for Random Irritations?