Random Irritations

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
He sits opposite me in the office so it's not like I can hide. 😂 I tried to explain why it's just a drain of my time and his response was simply that everyone has to go. I guess I should be familiar with this sort of attitude as a frequenter of golf clubs..
You can’t possibly be working if you are not sat at a desk in an office.

To me it’s a red flag for week/poor management. And as a new line manager they will be trying to gain some authority and show everyone they are in charge.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can’t possibly be working if you are not sat at a desk in an office.

To me it’s a red flag for week/poor management. And as a new line manager they will be trying to gain some authority and show everyone they are in charge.
It is very pointless - my previous line manager didn't really care what I got up to as long as my work was done. Probably didn't even notice I wasn't in the team meetings. But that's the kind of manager I like! Just leave me to get on with it and everything that I need to do will be done.

On your last comment, probably a bit of that - he's only line manager to me and one other person I think, but perhaps he hasn't managed anyone before and he's trying to come across as someone who doesn't let you get away with anything. I don't know. It's a shame because I got on well with him before he became my manager which made me think he'd be alright.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How l
I used to actually, but it's not that easy unfortunately as I have to plan around what days my little one is at nursery and when my wife needs me at home to help her and so on.
How long has he been your manager. Might just be marking his territory and setting his boundaries but maybe remind him how well you use to work together and that this isn't how it was and not adding anything constructive

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is very pointless - my previous line manager didn't really care what I got up to as long as my work was done. Probably didn't even notice I wasn't in the team meetings. But that's the kind of manager I like! Just leave me to get on with it and everything that I need to do will be done.

On your last comment, probably a bit of that - he's only line manager to me and one other person I think, but perhaps he hasn't managed anyone before and he's trying to come across as someone who doesn't let you get away with anything. I don't know. It's a shame because I got on well with him before he became my manager which made me think he'd be alright.
When he asks how your work is going, tell him you are behind because you are spending time in unproductive meetings. If he is okay with that, crack on. Make sure that is your stock answer when anyone asks where your work is though. Ultimately, it is on him, the manager dictates things.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Highway Code advises differently. I think the issue is that a lot of people are not aware of the rules of the Highway Code.
Highway Code Motorway Rules
Highway Code Lane Discipline
Highway Code Overtaking
That only applies when all lanes are moving slowly, such as when you have been told to stay in lane.
Thats as may be, but if I am in lane 1 doing 65/70 and there are idtiots happy to dawdle in lanes 2, 3 or even 4 I am not going to go past them on their right, if thats even possible. I will pass them in a controlled manner keeping my speed constant and once I have passed them watch them often move into my lane. I am fullya ware of what they are doing the whole time, and often my actions prompts them to use the lanes a little more correctly. 2 wrongs don't make a right I know.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats as may be, but if I am in lane 1 doing 65/70 and there are idtiots happy to dawdle in lanes 2, 3 or even 4 I am not going to go past them on their right, if thats even possible. I will pass them in a controlled manner keeping my speed constant and once I have passed them watch them often move into my lane. I am fullya ware of what they are doing the whole time, and often my actions prompts them to use the lanes a little more correctly. 2 wrongs don't make a right I know.
I am not going to admit what I do on a Mwy on a public forum;)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Shocking lane discipline on motorways, and the more lanes there are, the worse it gets. I drove up from Surrey this weekend and at times I was the only person on the inside lane. The amount of people that stayed in lanes 2 & 3 at 60mph was ridiculous, either forcing everyone into the outside lane to overtake, or to undertake illegally. Whatever happened to the campaign to stop middle lane hoggers?
I'm convinced there's some kind of psychological response to more than 2 lanes at work here.
Lane discipline on normal two-lane dual carriageways is generally OK in the UK.
Most French Autoroutes are two-lane carriageways, and the lane discipline is fine.
As soon as you get on to a three-lane section, lane discipline in France goes out the window and it's just like UK motorways.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I'm convinced there's some kind of psychological response to more than 2 lanes at work here.
Lane discipline on normal two-lane dual carriageways is generally OK in the UK.
Most French Autoroutes are two-lane carriageways, and the lane discipline is fine.
As soon as you get on to a three-lane section, lane discipline in France goes out the window and it's just like UK motorways.

I have tthree theories about middle lane hoggers:

1. Changing lanes is dangerous so best to stay in the middle
2. There are lorries in the inside lane so they'd have to change lanes a lot.
3. They have small penises.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Bear in mind that if they suddenly decide to move into the inside lane, and you are undertaking them, no matter how aware you are, and they crash into you, you will be the one at fault for undertaking.
If someone is in Lane 2 or 3, I will do my best to pull out, overtake them (giving them a flash of my lights as I do so), and then go back to the furthest left lane I can get into.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have tthree theories about middle lane hoggers:

1. Changing lanes is dangerous so best to stay in the middle
2. There are lorries in the inside lane so they'd have to change lanes a lot.
3. They have small penises.
This is true for me most of the time. If I'm on a motorway it's most often going up the M1, and there is usually a steady stream of lorries in the left lane, so it makes sense to remain in the middle and coast past them all rather than weaving in and out constantly. If the left lane is empty for the next 200 yards then I'll move back into it. That's only really the case at particularly quiet times though.

Also, you don't have to worry about people joining the motorway on your left, that's probably another reason people stay out of the left lane.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
My two motorway irritations are:

Going along the inside lane at 60, someone overtakes and pulls in front of you too close, probably because they don't realize there wing mirror distorts perspective and even worse, they slow down.

Second is when you are going along the inside lane and are about to pull out for the lorries ahead when someone overtakes and pulls in front of you. So you pull out anyway and the other car drives up the arse of the lorries and then can't pull out because of you. But it's worrying. They don't even think to perhaps increase their speed a tad to get in front of you.

RichA

Visit site
I do a lot of motorway miles. These days I set the cruise control at 70 and just sit in lane 1 unless I'm overtaking. Every 10 minutes somebody will slowly overtake me, drop in front then slow down to 69 so I have slowly overtake them.
The irritation would be drivers who can't just set their cruise control to a speed and stick with it. I couldn't care less if it's 60 or 80 - just make your mind up.