Random Irritations

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being told by HR to take a post down on internal Teams where i said something about Beer challenge this weekend... apparently on the naughty step for promoting alcoholism!!!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Follow up to my earlier irritation about being rear-ended by a truck on the way to Gatwick last week...

We're back home and the courtesy car has been delivered.
It's a Vauxhall Grandland X.
What an utterly hateful vehicle.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
…which would have been the case when Philadelphia was made and released in 1993 and so therefore not that many years after AIDS began to spread across the gay community. This film with Hanks in the lead playing the role superbly may well have made many change their views about gay men infected with AIDS because we should not forget the way that community were spoken about at the time, and how they were shunned by many.

You’ve kinda disproved your own position with this post, i.e. that Hanks as a non-gay played the part superbly Clearly indicates that a non-gay can understand and play the part well.

Have a think of all the films, pretty much every single film, in which an actor plays a part for which they have no real life experience.

I understand the logic but think you’re off the mark with it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Follow up to my earlier irritation about being rear-ended by a truck on the way to Gatwick last week...

We're back home and the courtesy car has been delivered.
It's a Vauxhall Grandland X.
What an utterly hateful vehicle.

Friend has one, and has spent 2 years hating it, not to mention the 8 months it spent back at the dealership. He takes delivery of a Toyota C-HR shortly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You’ve kinda disproved your own position with this post, i.e. that Hanks as a non-gay played the part superbly Clearly indicates that a non-gay can understand and play the part well.

Have a think of all the films, pretty much every single film, in which an actor plays a part for which they have no real life experience.

I understand the logic but think you’re off the mark with it.
He was an appropriate lead for the time, but remember it is Hanks himself who thinks if the film was being made today he wouldn’t be the lead…but perhaps he knows areas that he was less strong in, or maybe he’d feel uncomfortable doing the lead knowing how many superbly capable gay actors there are today and the need for a household name to lead is not so necessary.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He was an appropriate lead for the time, but remember it is Hanks himself who thinks if the film was being made today he wouldn’t be the lead…but perhaps he knows areas that he was less strong in, or maybe he’d feel uncomfortable doing the lead knowing how many superbly capable gay actors there are today and the need for a household name to lead is not so necessary.

Only astronauts should be in space films, only soldiers should be in war films, only pilots should be in… the list goes on and on. Don’t forget, we don’t know the intricacies and nuances of any role, only that it ‘touches’ us when it’s well played.

Spin it any way you want, we’ll agree to disagree.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there a reason that we're using the term "non-gay" rather than straight?

Can I be randomly irritated that people are avoiding the use of the word straight for some reason?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is there a reason that we're using the term "non-gay" rather than straight?

Can I be randomly irritated that people are avoiding the use of the word straight for some reason?

You’re entitled to be irritated about anything. Personally, I don’t like the term straight. I feel that there is an underlying connotation that is derogatory to gays.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ordered a new motor mover for my caravan 2 weeks ago and still idea where it is!
Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow as i need to get it fitted before we go away on Thursday

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’re entitled to be irritated about anything. Personally, I don’t like the term straight. I feel that there is an underlying connotation that is derogatory to gays.

Fair enough. Personally I don't see any negative connotation with the word straight. What does my head in is that under the definition of LGBTQIA+ it says "LGBTQIA+ is an inclusive term that includes people of all genders and sexualities, such as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, asexual, pansexual, and allies". It includes people of genders and sexualities, apart from straight.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The greed of the holiday industry. Had a trip booked in March that I had to cancel. Looked to book the corresponding week next year; gone from £892 to £1,508. I know things have gone up & the world has changed a bit, but I don't see how that justifies a near 70% increase in a year.

Also looked at going to the place we last went abroad. March/April 2019, flights & hotel £4,000; September 2022 £9,000.

Thanks but we'll pass.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"All 4" app (used for catch-up TV that was on channel 4 / E4 etc) - when you try and resume an episode it won't resume from the point you were at. It loads all the adverts, then starts it from the beginning. So you scroll it forward a random amount, trying to guess whereabouts you were - as soon as you take your finger off it it plays a load of adverts again! God forbid you might miss one by scrolling! Ten minutes wasted and I don't even know if I'm on the right bit yet. Hope I haven't scrolled too far or it'll be a third stretch of bloody adverts!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"All 4" app (used for catch-up TV that was on channel 4 / E4 etc) - when you try and resume an episode it won't resume from the point you were at. It loads all the adverts, then starts it from the beginning. So you scroll it forward a random amount, trying to guess whereabouts you were - as soon as you take your finger off it it plays a load of adverts again! God forbid you might miss one by scrolling! Ten minutes wasted and I don't even know if I'm on the right bit yet. Hope I haven't scrolled too far or it'll be a third stretch of bloody adverts!