Rake Placement in Bunker - Reader - I pulled up a FC

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not only daft but bizarre, then. Creating your own conflict where none exists. If they do bring in the LR, you'll have to think hard to create a new personal dilemma while the rest of us just get on with things:)

On the conflict that I felt - it's quite simple. If I had occasion to take such free relief - as I could have done with no preventative LR in place, and I won the Club Champs handicap trophy by one shot - how might that have gone down with the player in 2nd place and others? Not great methinks. And frankly I would not have been that happy about the circumstances of my win.

I felt I needed to resolve any such personal conflict in my head before I started - we all know that golf is played in the head as much as anywhere else.

This all came about as club did not appreciate the need for a LR that those who know on here told me was required. And I suppose that that is a possibility for any club.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Honest to goodness. I can't believe how precious and anal this topic is. Basically someone doesn't replace a rake the way the OP wants/believes it should be done and we're into 5 pages!!! Who says that one way is more correct than another? You can hit off the rake in the centre of a bunker and ricochet off it up under a lip or into the side of the bunker just as much as you can with a rake left at the edge/half in/half out.

Good luck on your rake crusade.

Haha.

Right I've changed my mind (slightly) now.

😅

I was in-between three bunkers yesterday, ball was sitting down in a small hole/depression meaning I couldn't get a club into the ball at all, would have skulled it halfway up the ball trying to pitch it.

Pulled out the putter sensible option (so I thought) and putted. As soon as I struck the putt the ball just bounced out of the lie, skipped about two feet left, caught the edge/handle of the rake that was left half in/half out of the bunker and my ball dropped in to the bunker!!!

Made me look like a right fud!

Therefore in or out only now!

😜

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We were using our new scorecards last Sunday in first club competition of the year (new captains drive in foursomes) and we have clearly stated on it, under the section on immovable obstructions, that the artificial surrounds of a bunker are integral objects of the course and no relief is given.

Many thanks to those who helped get absolute clarity around this and why the statement is required. Sorted thanks to the good folks of the forum.?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We were using our new scorecards last Sunday in first club competition of the year (new captains drive in foursomes) and we have clearly stated on it, under the section on immovable obstructions, that the artificial surrounds of a bunker are integral objects of the course and no relief is given.

Many thanks to those who helped get absolute clarity around this and why the statement is required. Sorted thanks to the good folks of the forum.?

Is bunkergate officially closed?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely it's up to the individual whether or not they agree with the 'guidance'?
And just because they may not agree, does that necessarily make them idiots?

Maybe idiots is too strong a word ? So I’ll call them inconsiderate - though where some players put rakes suggests a degree of stupidity or carelessness. But on the general point I have to disagree quite strongly.

If the club wishes all players to have consistency in how bunker rakes might influence their shots then players should adhere to the guidance provided. For a player to simply do whatever HE chooses to do leads to inconsistency - and surely all we look for in rub of the green is consistency. If I see a player put a rake in a position inconsistent with club guidelines then I move it. And also in passing a bunker if I see one so positioned then I move it to where the club requests. For me this is simply giving due consideration to players following me and so an aspect of etiquette.

And so full circle to post #1 ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really? Are we back on this again? Seems only one person and one club has such a big issue with where rakes are left. For every rake that leaves the ball at the back of the bunker and no shot there will be the one that hits a rake outside the bunker and stays out. The point is you shouldn't be in there and how often do bunkers really influence the outcome. Seemed a whole lot of worrying about nothing at the time and my opinion hasn't changed

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I have idea where rakes should be left. I’ve read several dozen golf books and watched hundreds of hours of YouTube videos over the last six months. It’s never been mentioned.

D

Deleted member 16999

Really? Are we back on this again? Seems only one person and one club has such a big issue with where rakes are left. For every rake that leaves the ball at the back of the bunker and no shot there will be the one that hits a rake outside the bunker and stays out. The point is you shouldn't be in there and how often do bunkers really influence the outcome. Seemed a whole lot of worrying about nothing at the time and my opinion hasn't changed
Why not read his post #270 properly, it is an update and a thank you to forum members for advice he’s received. He wasn’t starting anything again!

Others have then made comments to which he answered. Try playing the post instead of the poster!

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Do you know where you should stand on the teeing ground when others are teeing off? :whistle:

Not really. I’ve never played with another person. I’d guess that you’d best be further from the flag then the players ball, out of line of sight? Ie, not in front, not square on, and not on the playing line.