How do i play if i'm in a divot ?

robertrabbit365

Visit site
So, here's the situation; I've hit a lovely drive to within about 70 yards of the green but it has finished in a divot with bare ground at the bottom. The pin is directly over one bunker with another bunker behind the pin at the edge of the green (tough pin poisition due to comp played the day before). To the left of the front bunker is the front of the green ie I could play to this part of the green but would then have at least two putts to the pin. I, foolishly as it turned out, went for the pin. Contact was poor and it dropped well short and ran into the back of the front bunker on a downslope. My escape was OK but overran into the bunker at the back and I ended up making double from a great drive.

How would you approach this ? Should I have just taken my medicine, played to the left of the bunker and tried to two putt for bogey ? Was I right to fly at the pin (width of green between two bunkers approx 45 feet) but just hit a bad shot ? Or none of the above ?

Any thoughts, critique welcome.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I guess there might be different answers depending on player ability

As described, then I’d probably go with a 7/8 iron putting stroke to front left, chip/putt on green for 3 and a possible par putt (I assume it’s a par 4) but typically not worse than bogey
(a bit irritating but not too bad given the unfortunate lie off the tee)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was obvously the wrong choice as it didn't come off. What you need to do, in all situations, is to assess the lie, the target and any hazards and play the shot you are most likely to make. You also need to assess where the most likely miss will take you .If that means a layup, then play the shot

robertrabbit365

Visit site
I guess there might be different answers depending on player ability

As described, then I’d probably go with a 7/8 iron putting stroke to front left, chip/putt on green for 3 and a possible par putt (I assume it’s a par 4) but typically not worse than bogey
(a bit irritating but not too bad given the unfortunate lie off the tee)
Yes, par 4 and if I had the same lie again today I think this is exactly what I would do. I guess what I am really asking is (not very well articulated, admittedly) 'is it wise to try a high wedge shot from a divot' ?

robertrabbit365

Visit site
Did you think about claiming it unplayable?
It was nowhere near bad enough for that, but I now know I am not currently capable of hitting a high wedge shot from a bare lie divot. I could easily have chipped to the edge of the green (approx 50 yrds away) and tried to 2 putt (two tier green so never guranteed).

robertrabbit365

Visit site
It was obvously the wrong choice as it didn't come off.
Agreed. But I think my question was 'is it the wrong choice period' or 'is it the wrong choice for me with my current skill level' The answer to the second one is obviously 'yes' as we have established bu the answer to the first one ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes, par 4 and if I had the same lie again today I think this is exactly what I would do. I guess what I am really asking is (not very well articulated, admittedly) 'is it wise to try a high wedge shot from a divot' ?

Well if I had Rory’s Lefties ability with a wedge I might do that but realistically as @Neilds alluded to it’s a % thing

I don’t practice that shot so the chance of it coming off is minimal. Once I’ve dismissed that shot, what’s the most likely best shot I can pull off with a better than decent chance of executing it satisfactorily

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It was nowhere near bad enough for that, but I now know I am not currently capable of hitting a high wedge shot from a bare lie divot. I could easily have chipped to the edge of the green (approx 50 yrds away) and tried to 2 putt (two tier green so never guranteed).

It doesn't have to be bad. Lift and drop at your favourite yardage and play your SW/LW from a good lie.
But if you could have easily chipped out of the divot, it should be just as easy to put it back in your stance, use your most lofted club and dig it out of the divot

robertrabbit365

Visit site
It doesn't have to be bad. Lift and drop at your favourite yardage and play your SW/LW from a good lie.
But if you could have easily chipped out of the divot, it should be just as easy to put it back in your stance, use your most lofted club and dig it out of the divot
Thanks !! I will have to practice this and see what happens.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most obvious thing is to practice the shot from similar lies and see how good you are at executing them.
What you actually should have done depends on your skill level.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Steeper swing works for me, but I'm on a sand based links course that's rock hard at the moment. If it too bad I'd consider taking an unplayable.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sometimes you get a bad break.

Sometimes you have to accept that bogie is a good result.

Playing towards the flag is not always the best strategy.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the courses being so firm, even if you weren't in the divot going flag hunting sounds like a bad play here.
On the green anywhere would be good or the safe play to the left and try and get down in 3 shots.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, here's the situation; I've hit a lovely drive to within about 70 yards of the green but it has finished in a divot with bare ground at the bottom. The pin is directly over one bunker with another bunker behind the pin at the edge of the green (tough pin poisition due to comp played the day before). To the left of the front bunker is the front of the green ie I could play to this part of the green but would then have at least two putts to the pin. I, foolishly as it turned out, went for the pin. Contact was poor and it dropped well short and ran into the back of the front bunker on a downslope. My escape was OK but overran into the bunker at the back and I ended up making double from a great drive.

How would you approach this ? Should I have just taken my medicine, played to the left of the bunker and tried to two putt for bogey ? Was I right to fly at the pin (width of green between two bunkers approx 45 feet) but just hit a bad shot ? Or none of the above ?

Any thoughts, critique welcome.
I've got an old sand wedge that has the bounce grond off especially for tight or sunken lies. Works pretty well for me