Is this in the bunker?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would get the green keeper involved, show him the situation and ask what he intends doing about it.
He can either
1. Rake the sand and leave or
2. Remove the sand, fill in the hole with soil and cover with some new turf
I'd make a small wager he would select option 2.

salfordlad

Visit site
I would get the green keeper involved, show him the situation and ask what he intends doing about it.
He can either
I wouldn't be offering a choice. It would be fix this mess, remove the sand, replace with dirt and some turf and align the bunker edge properly. This should not happen and it should not be sustained.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
He can either
That might be true, but it wouldn't change the ruling for that ball shown in the original picture.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
You should know by now Bob, the rules do not care for common sense.
There is a saying about "common sense" and it's "common sense isn't common". There is no universal definition for common sense. The Rules of are specific to the game and playing the game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There is a saying about "common sense" and it's "common sense isn't common". There is no universal definition for common sense. The Rules of are specific to the game and playing the game.
Common sense tells me you meant to type ''The rules of golf are...''
Am I right?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Does this apply if it's matchplay?
No. Playing two balls in match play for a situation like this would is not permitted. In the case of a disagreement on the Rules between the player and the opponent, the player whose ball is involved must make a decision on how to proceed and then proceed in that manner. If the opponent disagrees with the player's actions, the opponent can inform the player that he will be asking for a ruling on the situation. Playing two balls is only permitted in stroke play. Doing so in match play could result in a penalty.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If he is taking a free drop, he must drop in the bunker. If there is no nearest point of complete relief (such as not nearer the hole), or maximum available relief, within the bunker, he can drop outside the bunker with one penalty stroke.
Just clarifying this for my own sake.
If i decide to take relief whilst in a bunker , its 1 shot if i take it in the bunker, 2 shots if i take it outside bunker ?

But in this case as its free relief its no penalty in bunker per plugged ball . But its now only 1 to drop outside the bunker?
Thanks

salfordlad

Visit site
Just clarifying this for my own sake.
If i decide to take relief whilst in a bunker , its 1 shot if i take it in the bunker, 2 shots if i take it outside bunker ?

But in this case as its free relief its no penalty in bunker per plugged ball . But its now only 1 to drop outside the bunker?
Thanks
It depends what you are taking relief from. There is no free relief for plugged ball in bunker.

If you are taking relief from an Abnormal Course Condition (animal hole, GUR, immovable obstruction or temporary water), it is free relief inside the bunker and 1 stroke penalty for BOL relief outside the bunker.

If you are taking unplayable relief for ball in bunker, it is 1 stroke penalty for lateral or BOL relief inside the bunker or S&D, or 2 stroke penalty for BOL relief outside the bunker.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
It depends what you are taking relief from. There is no free relief for plugged ball in bunker.

If you are taking relief from an Abnormal Course Condition (animal hole, GUR, immovable obstruction or temporary water), it is free relief inside the bunker and 1 stroke penalty for BOL relief outside the bunker.

If you are taking unplayable relief for ball in bunker, it is 1 stroke penalty for lateral or BOL relief inside the bunker or S&D, or 2 stroke penalty for BOL relief outside the bunker.
Thank you👍