Putting with pin in - sick of it!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would put it 100% the other way. This thread alone is purely about the annoyance at not being able to take the flag out.

If the flag out guys didn't care then why want it out?
This thread is but it's only because of covid. All other flag threads it seems to be the flag in guys whining about people wanting the flag out.

Mandofred

Visit site
This thread is but it's only because of covid. All other flag threads it seems to be the flag in guys whining about people wanting the flag out.
I thought this thread was what we were talking about. All other threads are about keeping the flag in? Really? It kind of seemed to me to somewhere around 50-50 each way with comments, but I sure haven't been keeping track.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We played greensomes today. My playing partner hit a good putt from 10 foot for birdie on the par 3 ninth. It was dead weight, dead centre, hit the pin, and came out, hanging over the hole.

Yep, he should learn to putt, we should get new hole liners, new pins, the earth could rotate at a different angle, there should be a ball magnet at the bottom of the hole, there should be a really really expensive solution to this, or, ......

Just take the flipping pin out.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I had 3 today from only 3ft which all had an awkward break, with the ability to take the flag out, I’d have punched them home removing the break, with leaving the flag in left me overthinking as I had to get the pace and break spot on and trickle them in.

I missed all 3, all for par and with a shot, which had I made them, would have meant winning our pairs matchplay and our best 2 from 4 score amongst our group, not a happy bunny ?

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes. It's really annoying ?. But I don't play many competitions and haven't had one not drop yet in one. In a general knock I now give me the putt and move on. Woodhall spa have put really narrow pins in the holes. This works a treat ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had 3 today from only 3ft which all had an awkward break, with the ability to take the flag out, I’d have punched them home removing the break, with leaving the flag in left me overthinking as I had to get the pace and break spot on and trickle them in.

I missed all 3, all for par and with a shot, which had I made them, would have meant winning our pairs matchplay and our best 2 from 4 score amongst our group, not a happy bunny ?
I think this is the exact reason you don’t see the pros leave the flag in.
They slam the ball in the back of the hole to avoid this.

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes. It's really annoying ?. But I don't play many competitions and haven't had one not drop yet in one. In a general knock I now give me the putt and move on. Woodhall spa have put really narrow pins in the holes. This works a treat ?
This is kind of how I feel. Whatever the rules are in a competition....you have to deal with it whether you like it or not. In social playing.....do whatever you want. I've seen a number of posts that state they've seen pins that are thicker or thinner than "normal" (whatever that is) when playing different courses.....when I've looked online they do have flags that are pretty dang narrow at the bottom (half the size?). No idea what it would cost to buy 18 of those. If they were made right, they should be strong enough for windy areas. From what I've been told, the flags that eventually start leaning are not because they aren't strong enough....it's just wear of the bottom metal piece+hole part of cup and as it wears the flag has more room to move. Sounds like a good theory, no idea if it is correct.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We played greensomes today. My playing partner hit a good putt from 10 foot for birdie on the par 3 ninth. It was dead weight, dead centre, hit the pin, and came out, hanging over the hole.

Yep, he should learn to putt, we should get new hole liners, new pins, the earth could rotate at a different angle, there should be a ball magnet at the bottom of the hole, there should be a really really expensive solution to this, or, ......

Just take the flipping pin out.

Clearly wasn't dead weight. Crap putt missed.

Move on.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think this is the exact reason you don’t see the pros leave the flag in.
They slam the ball in the back of the hole to avoid this.

Smooth stroke into the centre it goes it.

Too hard it bounces out like it would bounce out the back of the hole. Not rocket science.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What I enjoy the most is that every single putt would have gone in and stayed in without fail every time....

True hard luck stories mate. Justifies the missed putt in their head, the more they say it the more they believe it....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Smooth stroke into the centre it goes it.

Too hard it bounces out like it would bounce out the back of the hole. Not rocket science.
I will have to set up a standing order to pay you for all this top quality tuition.
You just don’t get I just don’t like it in .
It changes the way I putt.
Not everyone likes dieing it in.

Mandofred

Visit site
I will have to set up a standing order to pay you for all this top quality tuition.
You just don’t get I just don’t like it in .
It changes the way I putt.
Not everyone likes dieing it in.
I think he gets it..... but, until they change the rules to allow you to take the flag out....you have to deal with it and putt to meet the conditions.