Putting with pin in - sick of it!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone hating being forced to put with the pin in?

I am finding it really annoying to putt, especially on short putts.

My course has really thick pins and a ball retriever device that you need to spin round to get it out of the way to avoid that adding to the thickness of the pin.

Had numerous bounce outs that would have gone in if pin had been out, plus it just makes the hole tiny.

In medal today a pal of mine had a great round (2 over) but had 2 putts hit the pins at reasonable speed that bounced out.

I can go to a pub, go for a meal, shop In close proximity to others, go on a bus or train and next week I'll be in close contact with about 1100 people at my work (30 plus people without masks in a room about 6m x 7m) but I can't remove a pin even though we all have hand sanitiser in our bags.
Absolutely ridiculous.:mad:

I have sent Scottish Golf Union 3 messages on twitter - no reply. :unsure:

So, what do you think?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Since the course I play at removed the bits of foam and inserted these plastic discs I'd be quite happy if the rules never changed and it stayed like it is now to be honest.
I do reserve the right to change my mind should I ever fly a pitch into the hole and it bounces out - should be safe for a few years ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is a pain the bum but surely far better this than no golf at all. We had a couple of bounce outs in the competition in our group today and undoubtedly slows it down turning the device around but same for everyone

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had several bounce outs including a couple of missed eagles from off the green as a result. It has changed my putting style and made it less positive with short putts, previously I would aim to hit the back of the cup. More than halving the size of the target is something I find annoying.

About the only thing I really like about is that the holes are a lot less worn because nobody is putting there putter in the hole to get their ball out.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is a pain the bum but surely far better this than no golf at all. We had a couple of bounce outs in the competition in our group today and undoubtedly slows it down turning the device around but same for everyone

Same for everyone but can make a difference between a cut, buffer or +0.1.

With the prevalence of the virus being low there is no need for it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a disadvantage if you don’t like it. I don’t.
But better than no golf.
Is it classed as a local rule ?
We played at Haydock Park in an open and taking the flag out was allowed by one member of the fourball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Same for everyone but can make a difference between a cut, buffer or +0.1.

With the prevalence of the virus being low there is no need for it.
But not touching the flags was a clause of golf coming back wasn't it so obviously it was deemed a risk. I accept it can make the difference between even a win and 2nd place, but if every golfer is touching the flag or the lifting device surely that risk would increase which is why we still can't have rakes in bunkers

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure why the club's can't leave a tub of biodegradable paper (or some other material) tissues at the side of each green. You use one to remove the flag, leave it on the flag on the ground then put the flag back and put tissue in the bin.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm liking it to be honest. Our flags are relatively thin and we are using bits of plastic pipes in the hole to stop the ball dropping rather than the lift out devices. This means I really haven't had problems or seen many problems. It's speeded up play, made life simple.

I understand the frustrations that some people are finding but they may feel differently if their courses had a more sympathetic set of flags and system of keeping the ball from fully dropping.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure why the club's can't leave a tub of biodegradable paper (or some other material) tissues at the side of each green. You use one to remove the flag, leave it on the flag on the ground then put the flag back and put tissue in the bin.
That is creating a lot of unnecessary, imo, waste. Big chance of that becoming litter as well. You also can't rely on people using them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm liking it to be honest. Our flags are relatively thin and we are using bits of plastic pipes in the hole to stop the ball dropping rather than the lift out devices. This means I really haven't had problems or seen many problems. It's speeded up play, made life simple.

I understand the frustrations that some people are finding but they may feel differently if their courses had a more sympathetic set of flags and system of keeping the ball from fully dropping.
Yes this got me thinking.
A lot of things vary in golf.
So why isn’t there a standard size for width of flagsticks .
Seems obvious but wasn’t a problem until Covid as we had the choice to remove it.
That’s why I don’t think it’s the same for everyone.
Some people putt from 6” with the flag in that’s their choice.
But I will always remove it for shorter putts.
First world problem though, just trying to enjoy it.