Putting with pin in - sick of it!

Diamond

Visit site
Not at my club. Everyone wants the retrieval device spun round to get it out the way.

We have the retrieval device as well but played at a club today with foam, worked just as well for me. I think the better players have more problems with retrieval and rightly so.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Agreed. Just let people take the pin out if they want. Just make it clear that you MUST sanitise your hand if you do touch it.

You really are an optimist if you think everyone would comply. Just because you would doesn't mean others will.
Just look at the discarded cans and bottles on a course. You wouldn't do that, but some do....
Be realistic.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone hating being forced to put with the pin in?

I am finding it really annoying to putt, especially on short putts.

My course has really thick pins and a ball retriever device that you need to spin round to get it out of the way to avoid that adding to the thickness of the pin.

Had numerous bounce outs that would have gone in if pin had been out, plus it just makes the hole tiny.

In medal today a pal of mine had a great round (2 over) but had 2 putts hit the pins at reasonable speed that bounced out.

I can go to a pub, go for a meal, shop In close proximity to others, go on a bus or train and next week I'll be in close contact with about 1100 people at my work (30 plus people without masks in a room about 6m x 7m) but I can't remove a pin even though we all have hand sanitiser in our bags.
Absolutely ridiculous.:mad:

I have sent Scottish Golf Union 3 messages on twitter - no reply. :unsure:

So, what do you think?

To be fair its your crap pins that are the problem. Played your course yesterday and I had two putts bounce out from the middle of the hole.

Your pins are utter crap, never had this happen elsewhere, just thick and solid. I've played a good number of away courses and the pins you use are bizarre, even the noise they emit is strange. I'd be messaging your committee not having a pointless stupid rant on a two bob forum and making yourself look even more petulant by messaging SG.

Your course was in beautiful condition as usual right enough.

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed. Just let people take the pin out if they want. Just make it clear that you MUST sanitise your hand if you do touch it.
Using a manufactured sanitiser probably uses as much energy and raw materials than a wipe. Agreed it will create waste but in this day and age there must be a natural, quickly biodegrading substance that would work. It doesn't have to be big. Then put it in the bin.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
County Championship this past week. No complaints from the players. They all just moved the lifting rod to the back of the pin. A few were a little longer over their short putts.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure why the club's can't leave a tub of biodegradable paper (or some other material) tissues at the side of each green. You use one to remove the flag, leave it on the flag on the ground then put the flag back and put tissue in the bin.
Just seen a caddy do exactly this. ?.

Great minds ?.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
me either to make matter worse we have a plastic sleev over the pin to retrieve the ball, had a few bounce out from med range and a couple of short ones... shot my conf holeing out TBH. ne glad to get back to being able to take the pin out. We are triealing a new device without the plastic sleeve starting next week

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The retrievers with metal rods you need to spin round are rubbish, but better than an upturned cup. We’ve just got rid of them and replaced them with a plastic sleeve style which is much less intrusive.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be fair its your crap pins that are the problem. Played your course yesterday and I had two putts bounce out from the middle of the hole.

Your pins are utter crap, never had this happen elsewhere, just thick and solid. I've played a good number of away courses and the pins you use are bizarre, even the noise they emit is strange. I'd be messaging your committee not have a pointless stupid rant on a two bob forum and making yourself look even more petulant by messaging SG.

Your course was in beautiful condition as usual right enough.

Glad to see you back (where have you been?) and as opinionated as ever. ;)

But yes, pins are horrible. (y)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not seen any putts not drop at our place in very many rounds played. Today one of my PPs had a putt that would have gone 10ft past the hole if it hadn’t hit the pole, was going too fast to have dropped without a pin.

Mandofred

Visit site
I like the flag in. With a design so that the bottom of the flag always being thin-ish I'm fine with them in all of the time. I think it is just a change.....and a lot of golfers don't like change. We have changed the order of our holes so there is less overlapping of people walking past each other......the old timers aren't liking this (it also cuts at least 150 yards of walking which is irrelevant to me). A LOT of people like the new hole order better and I think there will be a bit of a challenge to make the change permanent.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure why the club's can't leave a tub of biodegradable paper (or some other material) tissues at the side of each green. You use one to remove the flag, leave it on the flag on the ground then put the flag back and put tissue in the bin.
Because there are some utter eejits who wouldn't use them?

This is a good thread, and I sympathise with the original poster. I have had a couple of putts bounce out, one of which was for birdie and the ball wasn't even going quickly :ROFLMAO::cry:

I think the non-removal of flagsticks will be here for a long while though, and understandably so to be honest. We want to reduce the spread of covid, whilst living as close to 'normal' as possible. If having flagsticks stuck in place and no rakes in bunkers is part of that, then so be it.