Putting with pin in - sick of it!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
clubchamp98 said:
So why isn’t there a standard size for width of flagsticks .

a. The Pole

i. Must be circular in cross-section.

ii. Must have a diameter of no greater than 2 inches (50.8 mm) from the top of the pole to a point no less than 3 inches (76.2 mm) above the putting green surface.

iii. Must have a constant diameter of no greater than 0.75 inches (19 mm) from a point 3 inches (76.2 mm) above to 3 inches (76.2 mm) below the putting green surface.

iv. Must not incorporate features, including its material composition, designed to act in a shock absorbing manner or have shock absorbing properties upon impact with the ball.

Golfman15

Visit site
This is just something we have to accept and get used to. Covid is still here the R rate is now close to 1 with several areas of the country living with increased restrictions. We need to be doing everything we can to reduce infection risk, so masks on in the pro shop etc and leave flagsticks alone. You might be good at hand sanitising but can you trust everybody else who touched that flagstick before you

D

Deleted member 3432

Funny how last season putting with the flag in was flavour of the month....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I do feel for you guys whose clubs haven't got to grips with this to be honest.
As previously mentioned, our pins are very slim at the bottom and we have foam in the cup, have played at clubs with a bit of pipe and both work very well.
I'd happily never take the pin out again.

The clubs who are still using thick pins or contraptions that stop the ball going in need to get on top of improving things.

Maybe it's time the rules were changed so the hole depth is shallower, if the pins could lock in place it would allow thin pins on windy courses with no need for lift-up things.

Brilliant post and idea.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hit. Too. Hard. < simple

This is nonsense. You should be able to putt positively rather than try to drop the ball in the front door or squeeze it in the side.

I'm sure the stats suggest that with pin in from distance you have a higher chance of holing a putt. But, from where most of us are likely to hole putts, a bounce out is a likely result.

Mandofred

Visit site
Hit. Too. Hard. < simple
Yep. If I hit a putt and it hits the flag and stays out.....my fault (it happens to everybody). I know that if I hit it too hard this might happen. Just part of the calculation that goes on in your head. Hitting the ball a foot or more past the hole might be ok without the flag in.....with the flag in you better think 6 inches or so. If I'm driving in icy conditions and I go around a corner at my normal speed and slide off the road....it's probably not the ice's fault.....it's mine for not adjusting to the situation.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have our normal flags with no lifter devices etc, just some foam sponge in the hole to make it easy to retrieve the ball with a couple of fingers. No problems with bounce outs and no complaints that I've heard from members.

Maybe these lifter devices are more trouble than they are worth albeit they did seem like a nifty solution.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
We have our normal flags with no lifter devices etc, just some foam sponge in the hole to make it easy to retrieve the ball with a couple of fingers. No problems with bounce outs and no complaints that I've heard from members.

Maybe these lifter devices are more trouble than they are worth albeit they did seem like a nifty solution.
Same as us

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that pin in was proven to be better from all ranges and speeds of putt by mygolfspy testing back when it was introduced in 2019.
Adding some sort of lifting device might change that equation a little if you hit it though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We've replaced the lifty uppy things with foam...not sure why.
Works just as well.
And I've no problem putting with the pin in...played lots of solo golf down the years and always left the pin in then....almost normal for me as soon as we started.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Leaving the pin in is just rubbish. Anything that reduces the area of the hole is just naff. Half the time the pin isn't straight, so less than half the hole is available.
In general, putts need to be died into the hole, but this is not how I putt.
Yes, more expensive narrower pins are available, but given how many get stolen, or thrown in the canal, this is not an option.
I really don't get why I can't use a towel, or glove to remove it. I walk alot, and come across a lot of gates that need opening. This strategy works fine. Cannot see a problem.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
On a similar subject I'm keen to hear what other courses are doing in reltion to bells?
On our course we currently have 4 bells which are still expected to be rung due to blind corners or driveable greens and if you have a member doing this then why can't you have a member dedicated to removing the pins?