Putting with pin in - sick of it!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
People don’t like the flag in but you seem to dismiss that.
Are they all crap putters ?
I am including nearly all the pros we see on TV.

Again you are incorrect. I don't dismiss that someone "doesn't like" it. I dismiss that every missed putt was because of the flag.

I dislike a ball two feet below my feet lie but I don't start a post crying about it anytime I fail to execute the shot. I need to accept and execute the shot better.

Flag in golf is great golf compared to no golf.

Mandofred

Visit site
People don’t like the flag in but you seem to dismiss that.
Are they all crap putters ?
I am including nearly all the pros we see on TV.
I just don't get this.....that I remember Jacko_G has only stated that the flag is in according to the rules, deal with it. I think everybody understands that some people really hate the flag in. But until they change the rules.....just live with it like grownups. If I putt from 5 feet and it hits the flag/hole and bounces out....I hit it too hard. It is my fault. Now...you may have issues with Jacko_G.... but on this you are imagining things.

Mandofred

Visit site
That is NOT what people are saying...
At my place we have very slim flagsticks and the ball will only bounce out if it's travelling way too fast.

What people are complaining about, quite rightly, is clubs that still insist on using these additional ball-lifting contraptions that are metal accessories that the ball often bounces off when 100 times out of 100 it would otherwise have dropped. These clubs just need to put a small plastic or foam tube into the hole and do all their golfers a big favour.

Additionally, it is often the case that links courses, due to the wind, have thicker flagsticks that are also often at an angle due to said wind, this also stops the ball going in.
Yes, I wish everybody had thin flag sticks.....no complaint there.

People are complaining about the flag being in.....not just about that extra thingy....which I haven't had to use, but can certainly understand why people don't like them.

Flag sticks can be made with thinner bottoms for windy areas as well. I've seen flags online with real narrow bottoms...no idea what they cost. That I know of, the usual reason for flags bending over too far is that with the wind etc either the bottom of the flag or the hole in the cup (probably both) have worn and allow more wiggle room.

D

Deleted member 3432

Ball is usually in my pocket by the time I get to the green or I have gone home after a few holes so it does not affect me in the slightest :ROFLMAO::cry:

On a serious note, surely its like the dress code issue, if you don't like it get lobbying the committee to change it....

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our flags are narrower at the bottom so we really don't get that as an issue most of the time. I'd be lying if I said it didn't happen but it's not been a major issue to me. Certainly I had a few putts yesterday which hit the pin dear centre and dropped no problem. BUT, I can agree that it can play on your mind and in some instances it is was much mental as physical.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played yesterday at a nearby course. They have these ball retriever things in the pins, but it appears that they made them themselves... Very hard metal, and the actual shape of the contraption means it's very difficult to simply use your putter to lift it up. In 13 holes, my playing partner and I had two perfectly good putts at good speed hit this thing and bounce out :ROFLMAO:
Yep, that's EXACTLY what ours are like. A big crude bit of metal on one side of the pin, top folded over to varying degrees so you can pull it out with your putter, but sometimes it just slides off and you have to try again. The metal sits at least half a cm off the actual flag, so you need to turn it around to the back of the pin before putting or there is a reasonable chance it keeps your ball out.

That is NOT what people are saying...
At my place we have very slim flagsticks and the ball will only bounce out if it's travelling way too fast.

What people are complaining about, quite rightly, is clubs that still insist on using these additional ball-lifting contraptions that are metal accessories that the ball often bounces off when 100 times out of 100 it would otherwise have dropped. These clubs just need to put a small plastic or foam tube into the hole and do all their golfers a big favour.

Additionally, it is often the case that links courses, due to the wind, have thicker flagsticks that are also often at an angle due to said wind, this also stops the ball going in.
100%. The ball retrievers are an invention that seemed like a nice idea at the time, but in practical terms they are rubbish. They all thicken the pin by some degree - I've seen plenty of bounce outs that rattle between the thickened pin and the edge of the cup before staying out, absolutely no doubt they would have dropped if just hitting a regular pin in the cup. Nice idea but they're not right, and clubs should really be going back to the foam inserts. I wish ours would. We had them originally and they worked fine.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just don't get this.....that I remember Jacko_G has only stated that the flag is in according to the rules, deal with it. I think everybody understands that some people really hate the flag in. But until they change the rules.....just live with it like grownups. If I putt from 5 feet and it hits the flag/hole and bounces out....I hit it too hard. It is my fault. Now...you may have issues with Jacko_G.... but on this you are imagining things.
I havnt got an issue with Jacko-G he has a very strong opinion on the flag in that’s fine.
It’s just he thinks anyone who disagrees needs to Practice more, Concentrate more, and is a crap putter.
Flag in is the norm for now I get it.
But it fundamentally changes the way I putt ( firm at the back of the hole).
I can’t do that at the moment.
But at least I am playing so that’s fine.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my course updated away from the retrievers to the counter sunk tube. I really don’t see any difference in performance. My PPs were just rotating the cabling mechanism to a least offensive position.
All of this does affect the up hill through the break putt as you will get a bounce out, but there is a pace which is between the 2 and probably not bad practice to master.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
now they have changed to a different ball lift at Nairn all the issues people had have gone. the new one is just a small metal clip over the flagstick to the base. no issues at all now. even with the very thick flagsticks we have