Putting with pin in - sick of it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is no doubt it is taking more time on the greens as four players all turn the lifting device to be face on as in the side on position there have been bounce outs even on putts head at a very good speed that would have no problems dropping even with just the flag in. With the device in the side on position there is a reduction in the space between the edge of the hole and the device and hit it flush with some pace and can spring back. We all know the risk having had them for a month or so and so its a case of keep moving the device especially in comps. Still far better that, and in bounce games we usually give the putt as holed, than no golf at all and I prefer it to the upturned cup where balls could roll across and not be holed

D

Deleted member 3432

Last year flag in for putting was the greatest thing that had happened in golf for years......
Seems to be a big u turn going on here.....

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
He also took the flag out himself and handed it to the caddy for a 12” putt.
Here's the bit I quoted 'Didn’t see anyone last night in the PGA leave the flag in for a shortish putt' - I saw at least a couple of pros putt from less than 12 foot with the pin in at the weekend - I didn't say anything about people taking the flag out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here's the bit I quoted 'Didn’t see anyone last night in the PGA leave the flag in for a shortish putt' - I saw at least a couple of pros putt from less than 12 foot with the pin in at the weekend - I didn't say anything about people taking the flag out.
You quoted Dechambeau putting from 10’.
I would consider a shortish putt 3’ or under and didn’t see anyone do that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It makes zero difference - practice harder.

How can you practice when the putting green has aerosol can lids sitting on top of the putting green and the course is so busy that you cannot practice there.
Also, we are only allowed on the practice green for a few minutes prior to teeing off at the first hole.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Last year flag in for putting was the greatest thing that had happened in golf for years......
Seems to be a big u turn going on here.....

Not really. It was only the greatest thing ever for those who wanted it left in.

If the vast majority of the people who play golf for their livelihood take it out, that is good enough for me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I want them in forever

However some don't.

One thing that needs removing the attending. It's in or its out. If it's 20 foot and your putting If it goes in happy days . Either remove or keep in

Attending slows the game and has people walking around the hole more which was one of the issues to solve

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There is no doubt it is taking more time on the greens as four players all turn the lifting device to be face on as in the side on position there have been bounce outs even on putts head at a very good speed that would have no problems dropping even with just the flag in. With the device in the side on position there is a reduction in the space between the edge of the hole and the device and hit it flush with some pace and can spring back. We all know the risk having had them for a month or so and so its a case of keep moving the device especially in comps. Still far better that, and in bounce games we usually give the putt as holed, than no golf at all and I prefer it to the upturned cup where balls could roll across and not be holed

Sounds like we have gone the same sort of route as your club - upturned cup - then foam tube - now levered lifting device. I'm not finding 'tweaking the lever' (not a euphemism :) ) isn't slowing things up that much, as once a putt is holed the player rotates the lever for the next player to putt as he lifts the ball out of the hole. When the putt is missed and ball marked the player marking his ball just taps the lever round for the next player before standing away - takes seconds.

And so - playing 13-15 holes this evening and I will be focussing hard on trying to hit putts 18" past the hole. No just trying to use pace of green to drop the ball in the front door.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like we have gone the same sort of route as your club - upturned cup - then foam tube - now levered lifting device. I'm not finding 'tweaking the lever' (not a euphemism :) ) isn't slowing things up that much, as once a putt is holed the player rotates the lever for the next player to putt as he lifts the ball out of the hole. When the putt is missed and ball marked the player marking his ball just taps the lever round for the next player before standing away - takes seconds.

And so - playing 13-15 holes this evening and I will be focussing hard on trying to hit putts 18" past the hole.
We don’t have these lever things.
Played away course that had them they were quite good.
We use plastic wheels and they do the job.
Sounds like you have adapted quite well to them, if players are moving it for next guy to putt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I want them in forever

However some don't.

One thing that needs removing the attending. It's in or its out. If it's 20 foot and your putting If it goes in happy days . Either remove or keep in

Attending slows the game and has people walking around the hole more which was one of the issues to solve
I would probably have disagreed with this earlier in the year ,but have got used to long putts with the flag in .
It’s only an option ,havnt seen anyone do it all year and it is probably unnecessary now.
Short putts though I don’t like the flag in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would probably have disagreed with this earlier in the year ,but have got used to long putts with the flag in .
It’s only an option ,havnt seen anyone do it all year and it is probably unnecessary now.
Short putts though I don’t like the flag in.

Then you can remove however if it's that short nobody should need it attended

The rules when they were changed should have removed attended as an option. Would have really made it a proper change

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We don’t have these lever things.
Played away course that had them they were quite good.
We use plastic wheels and they do the job.
Sounds like you have adapted quite well to them, if players are moving it for next guy to putt.
That's what we do. When we hole out or mark our ball we turn the lever for the the next player to putt. In fact using the lever to get the ball out of the hole and tweak it for next player is quicker for some of us than having to bend down to pick the ball out of the hole and then straighten back up :)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
37 points on Tuesday and two bounce outs, what might have been.

The first one broke hard over the last couple of inches and rolled 360 around the flag and finished half an inch from the hole. Hit it softer and it breaks harder, hit it harder and it probably bounces straight off the pin.

The second was a beauty. two and a half feet. If I had hit it any softer it wouldn't have reached. It went in straight in the middle, or it would have if it hadn't stuck the flag. It finished an inch from the hole.

The good news is that I now know that if I practise more or concentrate harder I can overcome this problem.

Put me down as not being able to wait until the day I can once again take the flag out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Aylesbury Vale today, they have the ball retrievers that go around the whole circumference of the pin, making it a few millimetres thicker. Like this one. I was telling my uncle and auntie how I don't like them as the ball bounces out. Sure enough, on the 4th green both of them hit putts which were firm but not too hard at all, both of them hit the pin and bounced out. 100% would have gone in with just the regular pin, let alone with the flag out. Point proven and they agreed with me. :LOL: