Putting with pin in - sick of it!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tiger has gone to a longer putter so he can practice for longer.
Might be something in it.

He also has a caddy and a coach to bend down & pick them out the hole on the practice green too :sneaky: Not a betting man by I'd wager he didn't pick out any in the last few days practicing

edit: On the bit about a longer putter. I heard them say this on tv. as you say there might be something in it for us 'less mobile golfers' (doubt Scotty C will be lobbing any freebies in my direction though)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wouldn't bother me if I never took another flag out ever again. It hasn't affected my scores in the slightest. We're all aware that the flag is in before we hit the putt; so we need to make a stroke that accounts for it. If we ram it at the back of the cup then it's going to bounce out - so probably a good idea to do something else.

I have noticed that I am tending to lag a lot of putts and I am thinking that this may be a subconscious thing coming about from having the flagstick in the hole. Even when the only thing that matters is holing the putt - when it doesn't matter how far past I go as I'll be picking the ball up - I still too often (most of the time) leave putts woefully short (and in such circumstances an inch short is as short as a mile...). hmm.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
By 'tweaking the rod' I think SILH meant hiding the rod round the 'back' of the flagstick - so it wouldn't provide any help or hindrance. Your question is an interesting one though, could the rod be used to help?
correct...and only before the putt is struck.

But I guess that there is nothing stopping me tweaking it so that the rod effectively widens the flagstick...if that's what I want - and the total width of the 'enhanced' flagstick is within the limits for max flagstick diameter

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This is nonsense. You should be able to putt positively rather than try to drop the ball in the front door or squeeze it in the side.

I'm sure the stats suggest that with pin in from distance you have a higher chance of holing a putt. But, from where most of us are likely to hole putts, a bounce out is a likely result.

It's your flags poles. End of discussion.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Everyone appreciates it’s a nessesary thing to leave the flag at the moment.
But people saying it dosnt make a difference are wrong imo .
I very rarely leave putts short but have found atm I am leaving them short because having to die everything into the hole has affected the way I putt.
Judging by this thread it’s not just me, but it is what it is.

It makes zero difference - practice harder.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've played my home course, Dumbarnie, Western, Paisley, Fereneze, Rothesay, East Ren, Bonnyton and Glencruitten in the last month - never had a hint of a bounce out. Indeed at a couple of courses I've had lucky breaks with the flag obsorbing pace on a putt and subsequently dropping.

I played the OP's course on Friday last week and had two bounce outs off the flags. Certainly the one at 16 was shocking. However its the flag poles that this club use that are clearly the problem.

Swango1980

Visit site
Since returning from lockdown, I've played 40 qualifying rounds (mostly supplementary). I don't think I've had a bounce out once. I'm a fan of having the flag out, but I can tolerate it in at the moment, and got used to it pretty quickly.

The biggest irritant is for the very short putts and the wind blows the flag into your face. Especially when it happens on your downswing, and you suddenly lose sight of the ball just before impact (thankfully I haven't managed to miss the resultant shot yet)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It makes zero difference - practice harder.

I agree with both. I am leaving putts short - I think flagstick in is making a difference to my putting - I am guessing due to subconscious thinking that has me dropping the putt in the front door. And so I should practice to get over that.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Totally understandable, but that can be “unlearned” with time and practice.

Being a good golfer is being able to adjust to all playable conditions.But having fun comes above all else so we need to ensure the balance is there.
If you are a tour pro you might have time to 'unlearn' things but I don't imagine that normal club golfers have the time or inclination.

Swango1980

Visit site
Totally understandable, but that can be “unlearned” with time and practice.

Being a good golfer is being able to adjust to all playable conditions.But having fun comes above all else so we need to ensure the balance is there.
Not sure about that

A couple of times I had a decent lead going into day 2 of club champs. During Round 2, I hated every second of it. Waiting to mess up, hit that horrific shot. No fun at all. However, I got through it both times and won.

Moral of the story? I'd much rather have gone through that and won the club champs, that have fun and not win (sadly, I'm not good enough to do both)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure about that

A couple of times I had a decent lead going into day 2 of club champs. During Round 2, I hated every second of it. Waiting to mess up, hit that horrific shot. No fun at all.

We all have different definitions of fun...

Anyone would have those feelings in that situation, it’s quite natural in fact. The fun comes later if you win as it!

Mandofred

Visit site
Golfers on the whole are a tradition bound group. If things aren't "right"......the wobblies set in. Adjust....if the roads are icy.....don't you slow down? If it's hot out, don't you stay in the shade and drink more gin...uh, water? The hole has a flag in it.....don't just wish it was gone, deal with it.