Putting with pin in - sick of it!

Mandofred

Visit site
37 points on Tuesday and two bounce outs, what might have been.
The second was a beauty. two and a half feet. If I had hit it any softer it wouldn't have reached. It went in straight in the middle, or it would have if it hadn't stuck the flag. It finished an inch from the hole.
Jeez, I've never heard of anti-physics flagsticks. The ball just barely made it to cup....and bounced further away?

I get the idea......you didn't hit it overly hard and it bounced out. What I don't get is why people can't let go of this subject. I understand people don't like it. But....it's the same for everybody who's playing on that course. Each course seems to have a little different situation with their "solution" to the don't touch the flag rules. Many people want to ignore this rule and get back to how things were. I wonder how many people around the world are dead now because they needed to get back to the pub.....or visit with their friends.......or (fill in your reason).

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Seems like an overly dramatic response. I state that I'm looking forward to being able to take the flag out and you start talking about people around the world dying.

If you don't get this subject can I suggest that you stay away from the "Golf Random Irritations" thread. A bunch of people discussing the most irrelevant things. It would drive you mad.

Last thing. I've played golf for years and seen many things that appear to defy the laws of physics. Balls that break uphill and others that bounce back an inch off the flag stick. I don't really understand how that happens but in future when it does perhaps I can turn to you as a point of reference for all thing "physics".

Thanks in advance.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
37 points on Tuesday and two bounce outs, what might have been.

The first one broke hard over the last couple of inches and rolled 360 around the flag and finished half an inch from the hole. Hit it softer and it breaks harder, hit it harder and it probably bounces straight off the pin.

The second was a beauty. two and a half feet. If I had hit it any softer it wouldn't have reached. It went in straight in the middle, or it would have if it hadn't stuck the flag. It finished an inch from the hole.

The good news is that I now know that if I practise more or concentrate harder I can overcome this problem.

Put me down as not being able to wait until the day I can once again take the flag out.

I smell poo poo.

If you hit it as soft as you say it would have dropped. Excuses of some are headline makers.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
new clip in ball retrieval mech in today, far better, onlt a wire clip and a disk at the bottom. we have thick pins anyway due to the wind, but the larger plastic sleeve over it we have been using just made the hole so much smaller.

more conf in short puts that wouldn't hit the sleeve and bounce out. holed a few today

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
...reading some of this I wonder what some clubs are using for flag-sticks? The huge iron things you see on old links courses to stop them blowing away. We've gone to some thinner ones to accommodate the ball removal lever. We also make sure the mechanism is facing away from the line of putt.

I've only seen one bounce out, from a 18 inch putt that my mate hit so hard it would have gone 50 yards down the fairway if the flag hadn't stopped it!:ROFLMAO:

Mandofred

Visit site
You have a masters in physics. How much force does it take for a ball to strike a flag and bounce back an inch. I'm metric not imperial.
Probably something to do with the fact that your nose appears to be too far up your own arse .
There's a real touchy guy in the US you kind of remind me of that also responds with anger......hmmmm......don't tell me, I'm sure the name will come to me.....

Trying to be funny again.....I can't take my own advice...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Flag in/flag out is one of my favourite debates on this forum. The 'flag in' guys always seem to get really upset with those that like it taken out whereas the 'flag out' guys don't really care either way.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Played again today. No problems with balls bouncing off pins but then again you have to get putts somewhere near the hole for that to happen.

However the lad I was out with had two bounce off. I told him that he needed to either practise more or concentrate more. Forum rules won't allow me to print his reply.

We are both looking forward to the day we can take the flag out again for short putts. I don't care either way about long ones.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I would have told you to get tae **** as well. :-(
I was just paraphrasing a putting guru off this thread. It's the advice he has been giving anyone that has complained about having to leave the flag in.

In truth while the lad I played with did have two bounce off he plays off 5 and needs no advice from me.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was just paraphrasing a putting guru off this thread. It's the advice he has been giving anyone that has complained about having to leave the flag in.

In truth while the lad I played with did have two bounce off he plays off 5 and needs no advice from me.

OK then. Anyone who thinks it is OK to tell someone else that they need to concentrate more or practice more is closely related to a donkey!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hard luck story....

"a story or piece of information that someone tells you or writes about himself or herself, intended to make you feel sympathy for that person:"

Heart pumps pee pee.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played again today. No problems with balls bouncing off pins but then again you have to get putts somewhere near the hole for that to happen.

However the lad I was out with had two bounce off. I told him that he needed to either practise more or concentrate more. Forum rules won't allow me to print his reply.

We are both looking forward to the day we can take the flag out again for short putts. I don't care either way about long ones.

Good sound advice auld yin. Also advise him to hit the putt a little softer.

Job done - more putts holed. Amen

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flag in/flag out is one of my favourite debates on this forum. The 'flag in' guys always seem to get really upset with those that like it taken out whereas the 'flag out' guys don't really care either way.
I would put it 100% the other way. This thread alone is purely about the annoyance at not being able to take the flag out.

If the flag out guys didn't care then why want it out?