Professional Golf 2024

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What a great putt to win it 👏👏👏

He’s certainly holed some yardage this week. I was never that keen on Horschel as a young man when he first started on the PGA Tour, but what a lovely fella he is.

I’ve followed him round Wentworth any number of times and he’s as popular as any European player when he visits these shores, if not more so.

Lovely to see his support for events here rewarded again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brilliant 2 days at Wentworth marshalling and now on a packed bus back to Ascot. Seen some breath taking shots and managed to bag a spot close to back left for the play off holes. Some putt by Horschel but felt Rory's got the slightest bobble off the face but could easily be still playing now. Not been a McIlroy fan for the way he loses tournaments from strong positions but seems from what I've heard he's been playing some great stuff around the greens. Was his iron play bad or did he miss drive?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Back at the golf club to see the end of the football. One thing I should praise is the way the park and ride has been organised. Loads of buses laid on, well trained staff to point people to the right ones and getting out very regularly. Dropped off in front of the grandstand at Ascot so a quick 10 minute walk to the club for a beer and the footie

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was there on Thursday, loved it. Flew from Ireland to London and stayed a couple of nights in London. Train out and shuttle bus from station, all well organised. Was actually easier for me to go to this weeks tournament than try for last week to the Irish open as I'm in the south.
Wentworth is a beautiful course, would love to play it. Was great to be there having watched for so many years on tv. The weather was a huge plus too.
On shuttle bus upstairs it was easy get a good view of the houses around the course, mind blowing the size and scale of them. Like mini hotels!!

sjw

Visit site
Brilliant 2 days at Wentworth marshalling and now on a packed bus back to Ascot. Seen some breath taking shots and managed to bag a spot close to back left for the play off holes. Some putt by Horschel but felt Rory's got the slightest bobble off the face but could easily be still playing now. Not been a McIlroy fan for the way he loses tournaments from strong positions but seems from what I've heard he's been playing some great stuff around the greens. Was his iron play bad or did he miss drive?
It was his approach play that let him down, if you had to pick something. While it wasn't great, though, he did get it to two playoff holes! His short game was phenomenal, as was Billy's putting. Unfortunately for Rory it came down to a putt-off rather than a chip-off!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was his approach play that let him down, if you had to pick something. While it wasn't great, though, he did get it to two playoff holes! His short game was phenomenal, as was Billy's putting. Unfortunately for Rory it came down to a putt-off rather than a chip-off!
Someone at the club said he was something like 46th on the PGA stats for iron approaches according to commentary. Not sure if that was accurate as he is surely better than that across a season

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does that indicate how good the others are or is he actually missing so many greens. Guess a little from column A and a little from column B
Scheffler is number 1 in that stat. If rory wants to compete...........Your approach sets up your putt. Better the approach, the more chance of making the putt etc. It's a pretty key metric, which is why the commentators were making a big deal of it.

They quoted Dustin Johnson who realised that was his weakness and became obsessive about his wedge play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Scheffler is number 1 in that stat. If rory wants to compete...........Your approach sets up your putt. Better the approach, the more chance of making the putt etc. It's a pretty key metric, which is why the commentators were making a big deal of it.

They quoted Dustin Johnson who realised that was his weakness and became obsessive about his wedge play.
Surely that applies even down to handicap golfers. Hit more GIR's or at least get as close as possible to give yourself the best chance of a par (or one putt birdie) or making a simple bogey (perhaps net par for many)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Surely that applies even down to handicap golfers. Hit more GIR's or at least get as close as possible to give yourself the best chance of a par (or one putt birdie) or making a simple bogey (perhaps net par for many)

The youth will take less than 30 putts in a good round, his best is 26 but he’s had a few rounds around 27/28.
But as he continues to grow and develops more distance, we’d expect that number to go up. At the moment he’s just short of quite a few greens in regulation but that will start to change - the result will be though, that he’s not going to be as close to the pin on his 1st putt.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My first ever scratch match. Opponent refused to speak to me. Said after (she won) that she preferred her opponent to have a caddy so she didn't have to speak to them. Told her to watch the pros and how they interract. Stupid bitch. Put me right off that "level" of golf.
Stuck up, pretentious cow. Don't let it put you off. You are in the side because of a reason and that is simply you are good enough and belong there. I am sure they won't all be that stupid