Go South for a golf holiday!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
South Africa is beautiful, and I mean, stunningly beautiful.

It is also blessed with some great golf courses. There‘s a negligible time difference so jet lag isn’t an issue. Couple that with a currency which isn’t particularly strong and good weather and I believe you have a brilliant golf destination!

It isn’t as dangerous as people think. Cars don’t have flame throwers as standard – that‘s an expensive optional extra. Use your common sense as you would in any foreign country and you will be fine. South Africans are very much a sporty, outdoor people and some of the friendliest you will ever meet. We love to braai, have a drink and chat.

Okay, so it’s an 11 hour overnight flight from Heathrow to Johannesburg. There are direct 5 flights a night from Heathrow (2 x BA, 2 x SAA and 1 x Virgin) and these are always full. So 1500 folk a day can’t be wrong can they? These flights if booked early enough are between £500 and £600.

They drive on the left in South Africa so there's no change there. Car hire is good value with an SUV costing around £250 per week. Fuel is also cheap at around 70p per liter.

I wouldn’t bother with staying in hotels as these are mostly in the Central Business Districts which are empty at night. I would rather look to hire a house/room in the most affluent suburb in the place you are in if in a city. This won’t be as expensive either.

Eating out is also great value. Most meals will set you back int he region of £6 a head if your’e at your run of the mill eateries. If you choose to cook for yourself you will find shopping really cheap. I found a 1kg tomahawk steak at a good butcher for £3. That’s some eating! Drink is also cheap with beer being less than £1 per pint and a normal wine costing around £3 per bottle.

South Africa has everything in terms of scenery. It is regularly ranked as the most beautiful country in the world. It has stunning beaches, deserts, mountains, forests, rolling hills and some of the most awesome wildlife on the planet. A self drive safari in the Kruger National Park costs about £60 per day for 2 people. We saw 36 different mammal species and over 150 different birds over 6 days in January this year. A really special place. There are much more expensive private options available aswell.

The vast majority of good golf courses will probably set you back up to £50 as a visitor. Sun City cost me £38 which is tremendous value. I also played at Skukuza which is inside the Kruger National Park. It’s an unfenced 9 holer where wild animals are all around you. We played on the Monday morning and there were lions on the course on the Tuesday evening! The European Tour regularly holds 5 events in South Africa every season and they normally know what they are doing.

Here is a link to a site which I know many of you peruse. This is but a small flavour of what SA holds in store for you.

http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/africa/south-africa

I am happy to help anyone with planning a trip or just answer questions should they be thinking about taking the plunge. Don’t regret it like LQ!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Been twice, absolutely agree with all of the above* :thup:

*apart from the most beautiful country bit, that's Scotland :D

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
100% agree - been 5 times. Going to go to George next time to play Pinnacle Point and Fancourt. The best bit is you can go in January when the weather in the UK is shocking.

Everyone loves Arabella on here!

D

Deleted Member 1156

100% agree - been 5 times. Going to go to George next time to play Pinnacle Point and Fancourt. The best bit is you can go in January when the weather in the UK is shocking.

Everyone loves Arabella on here!

2 fabulous courses! PP blows Pebble Beach away and if you stay in the Fancourt hotel (one of the best I've ever stayed in) you can get on the Links course which is stunning.

Captainron

Visit site
2 fabulous courses! PP blows Pebble Beach away and if you stay in the Fancourt hotel (one of the best I've ever stayed in) you can get on the Links course which is stunning.
Cape Town to Port Elizabeth is stupendously beautiful and has some amazing golf options.

I am trying to get people to give SA a try. It has the highest rate of repeat tourism of any long haul destination in the world. Once you go, your'e hooked!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Pebble as well? You seem to have an epic CV! PP looks so epic.

Haha no not played Pebble just seen lots of pics. If you want to see lots of pics of PP and the Links course PM me your email address and I'll send you some.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cape Town to Port Elizabeth is stupendously beautiful and has some amazing golf options.

I am trying to get people to give SA a try. It has the highest rate of repeat tourism of any long haul destination in the world. Once you go, your'e hooked!

It's really great - I do think the most beautiful scenery is around Cape Town and possibly as far round as Hermanus.

We drove from Hermanus out to George, and that was a bit of a slog. No doubt it then gets prettier as you head into the garden route, but if short of time, I would say stick to Cape Town area and the wine regions.

Franschoek was without doubt the highlight of my trip to that area!

Of course I'm not factoring in the best golf destinations, Fancourt probably being the best thing about George!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks Cam, for offering to organise the 2029 GM golf forum trip.

One of my ambitions is to do a British Lions tour in SA - The Lions, the Safari, now will also add the golf, see a few of the cities and see some proper lions. Wow, what a holiday that sounds.

Where shall I send the deposit? :D

Captainron

Visit site
Thanks Cam, for offering to organise the 2029 GM golf forum trip.

One of my ambitions is to do a British Lions tour in SA - The Lions, the Safari, now will also add the golf, see a few of the cities and see some proper lions. Wow, what a holiday that sounds.

Where shall I send the deposit? :D

2029? They're there in 2021 and at the rate we're going it's a 3-0 ironclad whitewash to the Lions.

Great idea. Time to do some sums chaps. Serious discussion about it when we're next together

Last edited:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a trip out there back in 2000. Absolutely loved it. Only played 7 times I think but 4 of those were in the top 100 that Cam linked to.

Great value for money and wonderful food. If you get to J'burg, you won't get a better meal than in The Butcher's Shop and Grill in Rosemount.

Would love to go back but no chance whilst Mrs Leftie is still compus mentis. :(