Professional Golf 2024

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely that applies even down to handicap golfers. Hit more GIR's or at least get as close as possible to give yourself the best chance of a par (or one putt birdie) or making a simple bogey (perhaps net par for many)
100%. This apply to all golfers. Get the ball close to the pin, you stand a chance with the putt. Leave yourself far away and you are 2 putting at best, 3 at times for higher h/c. I know my best scores are when my short game is on. Not my putting, my chipping around the green and my pitching. It definitely makes the difference for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
100%. This apply to all golfers. Get the ball close to the pin, you stand a chance with the putt. Leave yourself far away and you are 2 putting at best, 3 at times for higher h/c. I know my best scores are when my short game is on. Not my putting, my chipping around the green and my pitching. It definitely makes the difference for me.
I agree. 18 points for the rushed 9 holes before going to the golf on Saturday. Driver wasn't firing although not getting me in too much trouble but enough not to hit greens but I pitched really well and my chipping was good and so it meant a level front 9 (net and points)

sunshine

Visit site
I guess if the restarts' tee time is delayed then so it will for those starting and everyone will shuffle back a bit for their range slots

But effectively it's a shotgun start when they resume after a break, so everyone trying to warm up at the same time. With something like rain or lightning, the organisers do an inspection / check radar at regular intervals and then give advance notice of the restart time. I was at an LET event recently so saw this first hand when play was stopped due to risk of lightning (even though it was sunny over the course).

sunshine

Visit site
It was his approach play that let him down, if you had to pick something. While it wasn't great, though, he did get it to two playoff holes! His short game was phenomenal, as was Billy's putting. Unfortunately for Rory it came down to a putt-off rather than a chip-off!

This has been his problem for years. Rory is the best driver in the world, he consistently finds himself 20 or 30 yards further up the fairway than his opponents, hitting a wedge when they have a mid iron, but he doesn’t convert that advantage by putting his approach closer to the hole and creating better birdie opportunities.

His putting and chipping are solid.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This has been his problem for years. Rory is the best driver in the world, he consistently finds himself 20 or 30 yards further up the fairway than his opponents, hitting a wedge when they have a mid iron, but he doesn’t convert that advantage by putting his approach closer to the hole and creating better birdie opportunities.

His putting and chipping are solid.
Chipping and putting seemed on point all week but I think he needs to go down the DJ route and focus purely on wedge play. He can't be missing greens that often from nowhere in professional terms or leaving so far from the hole. Negates any distance advantage

sunshine

Visit site
Chipping and putting seemed on point all week but I think he needs to go down the DJ route and focus purely on wedge play. He can't be missing greens that often from nowhere in professional terms or leaving so far from the hole. Negates any distance advantage
Exactly. He's failing to capitalise on the advantage his driving gives him.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Has Rory just failed to add the benefit of experience to the youthful exuberance that maybe helped him when he was younger. He's had another good year, but he'll desperately want to win another major - but as we know they're not easy to win and he just doesn't seem able to find that little something to help him achieve that.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Spanish Open started today if anyone's interested in pro golf....
👍 was working but checked the leaderboard a few times.
Good for a less heralded countryman to be leading IMO. Strata & Fleetwood well placed. Rahm making it out pretty soon after his better half popped the latest sprog.
Some people keep telling everyone there's no interest tour golf though, maybe worn a few out from posting 🤔