Professional Golf 2024

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Big difference between a multi-millionaire sports person and someone getting financial help to compete at the highest level, there are athletes competing who also have full time jobs.
I do accept that but a good number of attendees at these games are paid well. Whether for their sport or via sponsorship because of their achievements. The amateur era is long gone as far as the Olympics is concerned.

Swango1980

Visit site
I do accept that but a good number of attendees at these games are paid well. Whether for their sport or via sponsorship because of their achievements. The amateur era is long gone as far as the Olympics is concerned.
I think Usain Bolt was earning about $20-30 million a year in his prime. To me, one of the greatest Olympians I've ever seen. I can still go back and watch many of his races (including all the build up and reaction after), was immense.

PaulMdj

Visit site
That’s not relevant to my initial post though, Amatuer Golf is massive worldwide and could of easily been fitted in to the Olympics.

Just because other Sports are a certain way doesn’t mean everyone should, none of the Golfers at the Olympics are training or focussing on reaching the Olympics as the pinnacle of their careers(obviously very proud) unlike many of the other competitors do.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's a good point and one I hadn't really considered before. The gold medal winner is usually one of the best 2 or 3 in the world in most events. Even in other skill based events like shooting it's usually one of the favourites who win. Just goes to show what a stupid bloody game this is!
As usual someone comes along to disprove your point :ROFLMAO:
British shooter in the shooting, won all bar 1 World Cup events this year, hot favourite - doesn't make the final.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s not relevant to my initial post though, Amatuer Golf is massive worldwide and could of easily been fitted in to the Olympics.

Just because other Sports are a certain way doesn’t mean everyone should, none of the Golfers at the Olympics are training or focussing on reaching the Olympics as the pinnacle of their careers(obviously very proud) unlike many of the other competitors do.
I don't think that would make sense though. Should the time trialists in cycling not be part of the one of the Tour teams? Basketball, tennis, football, the big track and field teams, the horse events etc All filled with professionals. If they are removed then the gold becomes devalued. If golf fielded amateur players only, it would be gone from the Olympics within 1 to 2 Olympics.

Each event has to aim to be pinnacle, even if in reality it never will be.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I don't think that would make sense though. Should the time trialists in cycling not be part of the one of the Tour teams? Basketball, tennis, football, the big track and field teams, the horse events etc All filled with professionals. If they are removed then the gold becomes devalued. If golf fielded amateur players only, it would be gone from the Olympics within 1 to 2 Olympics.

Each event has to aim to be pinnacle, even if in reality it never will be.
But there’s no qualifying as such for Golf, there is in just about every other sport.

Anyway mate, it is what it is, no more comments on this one from me.👍🏻

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And rightly so, imho, as the number of shades of grey would rapidly approach eskimo snow sub-categories.
am golf is just like pro golf really - the usga&ra open championships are as significant in both.
No-one would watch am golf at the Olympics. If I was going to make it a more compelling offering I would go team matchplay, including mixed.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Most of the top golfers in the world, on one of my favourite courses, hitting a little white ball with a stick. What's not to like.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My own opinion is that golf shouldn't be there. For any Olympic sport winning the gold should be the highest achievement possible in the given sport. In golf I'd think there could be up to a dozen other tournaments that the players would rank higher in terms of what they'd like to win.

Swango1980

Visit site
My own opinion is that golf shouldn't be there. For any Olympic sport winning the gold should be the highest achievement possible in the given sport. In golf I'd think there could be up to a dozen other tournaments that the players would rank higher in terms of what they'd like to win.
I wonder if this is truly the case? For golf fans generally, Majors are definitely the pinnacle of golf.

But for a golfer, being able to say you were an Olympian. Winning a gold medal, or any medal, in a competition that only comes around every 4 years. Being one of the few to represent your country in that Olympics. That sounds mega exciting.

I'd have thought the golfers playing in the Olympics will rank it extremely highly. Maybe some would prefer a Major, others maybe not. Maybe multiple Major winners would happily sacrifice one for a gold medal, maybe not. However, I'm not sure there would be a dozen tournaments they'd rather win. The 4 Majors, for sure. PGA Championship, maybe? Are there many more individual events most golfers would rank higher than the chance of an Olympic Gold Medal? Only curious, as I no longer watch any golf except Majors and Ryder Cup, so am unaware of the other big events these days.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just thought of what I'd think would be entertaining format for Olympics.

18 hole stroke play to get Top 32.

3 Match Play Rounds to get Top 4

1 4ball round for medals. 12 points every hole, winner gets 6, 2nd gets 4, 3rd gets 2, 4th gets zero. Players tie holes, share those points (e.g. tie 1st and 2nd, both get 5 points).

We play that last format occasionally (though more often as a 3 ball, 6 points available each hole) and it's a lot of fun. I reckon I'd love watching it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wonder if some folk haven’t yet adjusted to the fact that the Olympic golf event isn’t like a Tour event & maybe because its only the 3rd time they still think of it in those terms when thinking about the entrants and qualification or ‘pinnacle of the sport’ etc

Its not about having xyz number of the best/top players. The players (any sport) aren’t there as independent contractors.
Countries/nations attending the games get to pick their best representatives, usually through national qualifying, and send them to compete on their country's behalf to try and win a medal

Its nation V nation, country V country. All the athletes/players/swimmers/skateboarders/golfers etc are simply representatives of their nation

It is the absolute pinnacle event that any golfer can possibly do while representing their country. There is nothing bigger

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just thought of what I'd think would be entertaining format for Olympics.

18 hole stroke play to get Top 32.

3 Match Play Rounds to get Top 4

1 4ball round for medals. 12 points every hole, winner gets 6, 2nd gets 4, 3rd gets 2, 4th gets zero. Players tie holes, share those points (e.g. tie 1st and 2nd, both get 5 points).

We play that last format occasionally (though more often as a 3 ball, 6 points available each hole) and it's a lot of fun. I reckon I'd love watching it.
I'd like to see a pairs format and include the ladies scores as well