Professional Golf 2024

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I wonder if some folk haven’t yet adjusted to the fact that the Olympic golf event isn’t like a Tour event & maybe because its only the 3rd time they still think of it in those terms when thinking about the entrants and qualification or ‘pinnacle of the sport’ etc

Its not about having xyz number of the best/top players. The players (any sport) aren’t there as independent contractors.
Countries/nations attending the games get to pick their best representatives, usually through national qualifying, and send them to compete on their country's behalf to try and win a medal

Its nation V nation, country V country. All the athletes/players/swimmers/skateboarders/golfers etc are simply representatives of their nation

It is the absolute pinnacle event that any golfer can possibly do while representing their country. There is nothing bigger
The gold medal goes to the competitor , when someone plays in a major their nationality is there as well

Any “singles” competitor is still looking to win a medal for themselves

There is no prize for the medal table

Ask any top golfer given a choice - major or golf medal - the answer would be a major

Same with tennis and slams

Football and the World Cup etc etc

But as it’s in the first thing they should have done is make it team based , a pairs event then a second event for mixed as well

Swango1980

Visit site
The gold medal goes to the competitor , when someone plays in a major their nationality is there as well

Ask any top golfer given a choice - major or golf medal - the answer would be a major

But as it’s in the first thing they should have done is make it team based , a pairs event then a second event for mixed as well
Not every golfer. You probably haven't asked Matthieu Pavon yet?

PaulMdj

Visit site
I wonder if some folk haven’t yet adjusted to the fact that the Olympic golf event isn’t like a Tour event & maybe because its only the 3rd time they still think of it in those terms when thinking about the entrants and qualification or ‘pinnacle of the sport’ etc

Its not about having xyz number of the best/top players. The players (any sport) aren’t there as independent contractors.
Countries/nations attending the games get to pick their best representatives, usually through national qualifying, and send them to compete on their country's behalf to try and win a medal

Its nation V nation, country V country. All the athletes/players/swimmers/skateboarders/golfers etc are simply representatives of their nation

It is the absolute pinnacle event that any golfer can possibly do while representing their country. There is nothing bigger
Agree with the non-bold parts, for the bit in bold, there are no National qualifying events for Golf, that qualification is all through the OGR.

The Home Countries (England/Scotland Golf etc) for example, have no say in who’ll represent GB.

Those who qualify will absolutely be very proud to be at the Olympics, but I genuinely don’t believe any top Golfer is looking at their itinerary and aiming it at qualification for any Olympics, representing your Country will be a bonus byproduct.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree that a team event would have made more sense, maybe even a pairs matchplay knockout or something like that. That would have made it a bit different to the normal golf events, plus made it more Olympicky with country v country. Currently something is wrong when USA get twice the competitors that everyone else gets, including the two best players in the world.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with the non-bold parts, for the bit in bold, there are no National qualifying events for Golf, that qualification is all through the OGR.

The Home Countries (England/Scotland Golf etc) for example, have no say in who’ll represent GB.

Those who qualify will absolutely be very proud to be at the Olympics, but I genuinely don’t believe any top Golfer is looking at their itinerary and aiming it at qualification for any Olympics, representing your Country will be a bonus byproduct.
I am sure some golfers especially from smaller teams will have looked at the olympics and had an eye on getting in so they could represent their nation but like most top golf events would have had very limited expectations around winning

PaulMdj

Visit site
I am sure some golfers especially from smaller teams will have looked at the olympics and had an eye on getting in so they could represent their nation but like most top golf events would have had very limited expectations around winning
What smaller teams?
Qualification is for 120 Golfers only, 60 male, 60 female and all based on the OGR.

It’s not as if any Country can simply decide to send their 2 best Golfers and really don’t want to get in to the whole LIV drama, but the rankings exclude those players as well.

Olympic Sports shouldn’t involve individual sports politics.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Just because a flag is shown on screen in certain TV tour broadcasts doesn't mean its country v country. Players are not officially representing their country in tour events

No one representing their country can win a golf Major and no unrepresented independent contract golfer can win a Gold medal

They two achievements are not a 'what would you rather have' comparison, however much flawed thinking is put on it

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Just because a flag is shown on screen in certain TV tour broadcasts doesn't mean its country v country. Players are not officially representing their country in tour events

No one representing their country can win a golf Major and no unrepresented independent contract golfer can win a Gold medal

They two achievements are not a 'what would you rather have' comparison, however much flawed thinking is put on it

Its still Rory vs Scheffler not Ireland vs USA

it’s not when it’s the Ryder Cup when they are playing against another nation with the goal a single trophy for one side

Rory and all the golfers will be trophy to win a gold medal that goes in their trophy cabinet not Irelands

At the end of a career it will be rated below any major

If they want country vs country then make it a team event but it’s not - it’s still singles and still isn’t the pinnacle in the sport of golf

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm really not understanding what point you're trying to make. Every golfer in it will be treating it exactly the same as every other event they play in - a four-day golf tournament that they are trying to win. Only difference is they get a medal instead of a trophy and a wad of cash.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

it’s not when it’s the Ryder Cup when they are playing against another nation with the goal a single trophy for one side

Rory and all the golfers will be trophy to win a gold medal that goes in their trophy cabinet not Irelands

If they want country vs country then make it a team event but it’s not - it’s still singles and still isn’t the pinnacle in the sport of golf

and call it what, maybe Team GB? Team USA? Team Italia?
Pretty sure that's exactly what they are doing

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm really not understanding what point you're trying to make. Every golfer in it will be treating it exactly the same as every other event they play in - a four-day golf tournament that they are trying to win. Only difference is they get a medal instead of a trophy and a wad of cash.
You could say the same about a 100m runner, high jumper, marathon runner etc about how they treat the Olympics and how they treat the World Championships? Same format, and they are going out to win.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah much of their prep & how they treat it will be what they do on Tour (how can it not be), much will not be the same, because the two things are quite different
i.e Lowry doesn't usually walk into tpc sawgrass waving a big Irish flag ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could say the same about a 100m runner, high jumper, marathon runner etc about how they treat the Olympics and how they treat the World Championships? Same format, and they are going out to win.
But as we keep saying, Olympics would be the pinnacle for those guys - for golfers it's not. I just saw something today from Scheffler saying his goal for the Olympics was simply to 'have fun'. I doubt the top sportsmen and women in other events are viewing the Olympics that way.

Yeah much of their prep & how they treat it will be what they do on Tour (how can it not be), much will not be the same, because the two things are quite different
i.e Lowry doesn't usually walk into tpc sawgrass waving a big Irish flag ;)
Does he not? I'm sure I've seen him draped in his flag when he won the Open or the Ryder Cup before now.

Swango1980

Visit site

In your view, that might be the case. In my opinion, I'm not so sure.

Just turn over to the Olympics thread. Anytime a British player wins a medal, you are straight on there praising their achievement. And, absolutely fair enough. The Olympics is a time where a whole nation of sports fans can get behind their compatriots. I couldn't give two hoots about sports like rowing, cycling, BMXing or horse dancing. But if a British person wins a gold medal, I'm buzzing.

There will be plenty of sports fans who have no interest in golf. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most sports fans don't really get into golf. If McIlroy won a gold medal for Ireland, I bet most of Irish sports fans would be buzzing to get a gold medal for the country. He'd become an even bigger legend in Ireland, more so than if he went out and won another USPGA Championship. I'm sure a lot of the Irish fans would be dreaming for an Ireland win, many USA fans would be shouting the annoying "USA, USA, USA" if it came down to McIlroy and Scheffler

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
In your view, that might be the case. In my opinion, I'm not so sure.

Just turn over to the Olympics thread. Anytime a British player wins a medal, you are straight on there praising their achievement. And, absolutely fair enough. The Olympics is a time where a whole nation of sports fans can get behind their compatriots. I couldn't give two hoots about sports like rowing, cycling, BMXing or horse dancing. But if a British person wins a gold medal, I'm buzzing.

There will be plenty of sports fans who have no interest in golf. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most sports fans don't really get into golf. If McIlroy won a gold medal for Ireland, I bet most of Irish sports fans would be buzzing to get a gold medal for the country. He'd become an even bigger legend in Ireland, more so than if he went out and won another USPGA Championship. I'm sure a lot of the Irish fans would be dreaming for an Ireland win, many USA fans would be shouting the annoying "USA, USA, USA" if it came down to McIlroy and Scheffler

What would Rory prefer to win - any major or an Olympic gold medal

That’s the crux

All those other sports where people are rightly being proud are from sports where it’s the pinnacle

Eventing , swimming , rowing etc - it’s the highest level in that sport to win an Olympic medal

It’s not in golf , or tennis or football

That’s the simple point people have made

Olympics should be the pinnacle for that sport and that’s why imo the sport should be in it

Golf shouldn’t be in the Olympics - it has 4 major events every year that are above the games

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What smaller teams?
Qualification is for 120 Golfers only, 60 male, 60 female and all based on the OGR.

It’s not as if any Country can simply decide to send their 2 best Golfers and really don’t want to get in to the whole LIV drama, but the rankings exclude those players as well.

Olympic Sports shouldn’t involve individual sports politics.
Nations like India. Never going to win a gold but there must be huge pride playing for a country the size of India

Swango1980

Visit site
But as we keep saying, Olympics would be the pinnacle for those guys - for golfers it's not. I just saw something today from Scheffler saying his goal for the Olympics was simply to 'have fun'. I doubt the top sportsmen and women in other events are viewing the Olympics that way.

Does he not? I'm sure I've seen him draped in his flag when he won the Open or the Ryder Cup before now.
I've seen similar comments from golfers just before a Major. It's often a way to downplay the pressure of trying to win. You come out earlier and let the world know you are desperate to win, then if you fail, it makes it all the more painful (and maybe embarrassing)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen similar comments from golfers just before a Major. It's often a way to downplay the pressure of trying to win. You come out earlier and let the world know you are desperate to win, then if you fail, it makes it all the more painful (and maybe embarrassing)
There's the post. Fleetwood, Lowry & McIlroy all put down that they want a medal, but Scheffler is just on a jolly, doesn't give a toss. :LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
What would Rory prefer to win - any major or an Olympic gold medal

That’s the crux

All those other sports where people are rightly being proud are from sports where it’s the pinnacle

Eventing , swimming , rowing etc - it’s the highest level in that sport to win an Olympic medal

It’s not in golf , or tennis or football

That’s the simple point people have made

Olympics should be the pinnacle for that sport and that’s why imo the sport should be in it

Golf shouldn’t be in the Olympics - it has 4 major events every year that are above the games
I think there are two different arguments there. What would Rory rather win, and should golf be in the Olympics?

The second question is a matter of opinion, and has been discussed to death about many sports like golf, football, tennis, etc. Personally, I like the fact it is in the Olympics. I would like to see as many sports in the Olympics as possible, to try and get as many of the best sports people across the world all in one place, together, and giving us a sporting spectacle. Something for everyone.

As it stands, a decision was made to include golf, for better or worse. I would be pretty certain that the golfers that are in Paris are extremely proud to be there, and would absolutely love to get their hands on a medal. None of us can really speak with certainty as to the level of desire these golfers will place on this. And, when their careers are over and they review their achievements, they may well speak in very high regard of the Olympics, whilst during their career might keep their cards close to their chest?