Professional Golf 2024

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nope. Given it is 4 days of stroke play, like any normal event, does it also have a cut?

I think I'd have liked to see something different. Like pairs better ball stroke play or something of that nature.

When golf got accepted back in it was only for 2 Games to see if it ‘works’ So it makes sense to use the most popular comp format because logic will say that’s the format with the best chance of golf succeeding in that goal to continue as an Olympic event
3rd games now & I’ve no idea of its medium to long term olympic status but assuming its now ‘back’ then I agree, down the line I’d like to see pairs (& mixed) teams introduced on top of the individual medals

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must admit it is a bit funny having golf in the Olympics. In most proper Olympic sports you would say the gold medal winner is probably the best in the world, or close to it. e.g. when Bolt won the 100m he was unquestionably the fastest person in the world, and so on. But the golf winner could literally be anyone and you wouldn't necessarily say the same thing.

Swango1980

Visit site
Must admit it is a bit funny having golf in the Olympics. In most proper Olympic sports you would say the gold medal winner is probably the best in the world, or close to it. e.g. when Bolt won the 100m he was unquestionably the fastest person in the world, and so on. But the golf winner could literally be anyone and you wouldn't necessarily say the same thing.
Unless it's Scheffler :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same can be said for tennis. Neither should be anywhere near the Olympics.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same can be said for tennis. Neither should be anywhere near the Olympics.
Not quite the same as I'd expect Alcaraz or Djokovic to win unless they cock it up in the semis or something. In golf it wouldn't be a complete shock for any mid-tier player to have a good week and win a gold medal despite being a long, long way away from being the best in the world. There are countless examples in other sports but the strongest weightlifter will probably win the weightlifting, the best javelin thrower will probably win the javelin, etc etc. 😄

PaulMdj

Visit site
Originally though, Golf was in the 2nd and 3rd Olympics back in 1900 & 1904.

It was amatuer entrants in those days and maybe when it was brought back it should of been as an Amatuer Comp.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite the same as I'd expect Alcaraz or Djokovic to win unless they cock it up in the semis or something. In golf it wouldn't be a complete shock for any mid-tier player to have a good week and win a gold medal despite being a long, long way away from being the best in the world. There are countless examples in other sports but the strongest weightlifter will probably win the weightlifting, the best javelin thrower will probably win the javelin, etc etc. 😄
It depends if they care enough to give it everything. If they are a bit half hearted then Mr Mid Ranking could easily come through and win it.

Tokyo Olympics, Alexander Zverev won the mens singles. High quality but yet to win a grand slam. Won in the era of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. Belinda Bencic won the ladies, no Grand Slam titles to her name either. Not that different then. (yes, I did have to google that by the way 😄 )

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At the end of the day, aside from sports where it is judged which can always have the potential to be mis-marked or seen differently (boxing being an obvious one) then it still needs to competitor to produce their best on the day.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It was amatuer entrants in those days and maybe when it was brought back it should have been as an Amatuer Comp.
Yeh, I do feel it should be for the amateur golfers rather than the top top pros. Just feels like another golf tournament.

Generally the Olympics is the pinnacle of the sport, but it’s never going to complete with a major in golf, World Cup in football, Wimbledon in tennis etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

It was amatuer entrants in those days and maybe when it was brought back it should of been as an Amatuer Comp.

Much as I like the notion none of the other olympic sports have remained as an amateur only status (wrestling apart I think) so a bit weird if golf had done it

edit: particularly when they were 'fighting' to get golf included for the longer term. Showcasing AM's only might not have been best option

wjemather

Visit site

There's been a lot of rewriting of history when it comes to those early Olympic Games - many events (including golf) were not considered part of the games at the time but have since been reclassified as such.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How is this any different from any other golf event? The best golfer doesn't always (ever?) win so lets just scrap golf as it is just a lottery? Loads of Major wins - just lucky?