Professional Golf 2024

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How is this any different from any other golf event? The best golfer doesn't always (ever?) win so lets just scrap golf as it is just a lottery? Loads of Major wins - just lucky?
No, you've missed the point. I was simply pointing out how it's unlike the vast majority of other Olympic events. Olympic events to me are about proving categorically who is fastest, strongest, can jump the highest, etc. In golf though the winner is only the best golfer that week so it doesn't really make sense to have it in the Olympics.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Originally though, Golf was in the 2nd and 3rd Olympics back in 1900 & 1904.

It was amatuer entrants in those days and maybe when it was brought back it should of been as an Amatuer Comp.
Not many amateurs in any Olympic sport now. At the very least, most will get lottery funding. If we took out the professionals it could be over in 2 days 😄

WirralC

Visit site
No, you've missed the point. I was simply pointing out how it's unlike the vast majority of other Olympic events. Olympic events to me are about proving categorically who is fastest, strongest, can jump the highest, etc. In golf though the winner is only the best golfer that week so it doesn't really make sense to have it in the Olympics.
That's a good point and one I hadn't really considered before. The gold medal winner is usually one of the best 2 or 3 in the world in most events. Even in other skill based events like shooting it's usually one of the favourites who win. Just goes to show what a stupid bloody game this is!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Interesting discussion about it on The Chipping Forecast podcast yesterday.

Yep. Golf isn't an Olympic Sport, using the definition "is the Gold Medal the pinnacle of the sport?"

But, there will be folk in countries that don't traditionally play golf, getting exposure to it. Eg in Venezuela, if Jhonny Vegas gets a medal, big coverage.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

But unless every Gold is also a world record isn't every sport just the person/team that performed best that week? i.e The gold medal high jump winner may not be the world record holder, may not jump within 10cm of the record but was just the best that week

WirralC

Visit site
But unless every Gold is also a world record isn't every sport just the person/team that performed best that week? i.e The gold medal high jump winner may not be the world record holder, may not jump within 10cm of the record but was just the best that week
Yes but I think the point is the person who wins gold is usually the best every week in most sports, whether they achieved a record or not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Exactly. Doesn't even have to be close to an olympic record. Best person wins

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes but in almost all of them you could probably choose the winner out of the top 3 or 4, or 5 competitors maybe? You very rarely get a massive surprise winner because those who are the best at it will obviously beat the rest every time. But in golf the winner could realistically be anyone out of a pool of like 50 people or more. It's a bit more up in the air.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes but in almost all of them you could probably choose the winner out of the top 3 or 4, or 5 competitors maybe? You very rarely get a massive surprise winner because those who are the best at it will obviously beat the rest every time. But in golf the winner could realistically be anyone out of a pool of like 50 people or more. It's a bit more up in the air.

See post 1291 👍

PaulMdj

Visit site
Not many amateurs in any Olympic sport now. At the very least, most will get lottery funding. If we took out the professionals it could be over in 2 days 😄
Big difference between a multi-millionaire sports person and someone getting financial help to compete at the highest level, there are athletes competing who also have full time jobs.

Swango1980

Visit site
Indeed. I guess the world of sport have moved a long way.

If you go back 50/100 years, how many professionals across all sports were there? No idea of the answer, so only speculating. But I'd have thought professional sport was a lot more rare back in the day. Whereas today, we are swarming with professional athletes in many sports, even at the much lower levels.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just in case its not obvious. I’m chuffed golf is in the Olympics, jeez I’d have them doing synchronised chipping off the 10mtr board at a target in the indoor pool wearing speedos if I thought they’d go for it :p

wjemather

Visit site
Interesting discussion about it on The Chipping Forecast podcast yesterday.

Yep. Golf isn't an Olympic Sport, using the definition "is the Gold Medal the pinnacle of the sport?"

But, there will be folk in countries that don't traditionally play golf, getting exposure to it. Eg in Venezuela, if Jhonny Vegas gets a medal, big coverage.
There wouldn't be many sports at all if that was the definition/criteria.