Professional Golf 2024

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there are two different arguments there. What would Rory rather win, and should golf be in the Olympics?

The second question is a matter of opinion, and has been discussed to death about many sports like golf, football, tennis, etc. Personally, I like the fact it is in the Olympics. I would like to see as many sports in the Olympics as possible, to try and get as many of the best sports people across the world all in one place, together, and giving us a sporting spectacle. Something for everyone.

As it stands, a decision was made to include golf, for better or worse. I would be pretty certain that the golfers that are in Paris are extremely proud to be there, and would absolutely love to get their hands on a medal. None of us can really speak with certainty as to the level of desire these golfers will place on this. And, when their careers are over and they review their achievements, they may well speak in very high regard of the Olympics, whilst during their career might keep their cards close to their chest?
At the end of the day it is a rare opportunity to do something outside of their normal golfing bubble of tour events, majors and team events like President/Ryder cups and so is an chance to add something different to their CV. I have heard Rose talk with immense pride about his medal

PaulMdj

Visit site
Nations like India. Never going to win a gold but there must be huge pride playing for a country the size of India
The second biggest Country in the World haven’t decided to enter a Golf Team, their players have qualified by right through the OGR.

I would hope all players representing their Country have a huge sense of pride, if they haven’t they could of simply turned it down.

Not sure how you can state neither of their players are “Never going to win a Gold”

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The second biggest Country in the World haven’t decided to enter a Golf Team, their players have qualified by right through the OGR.

I would hope all players representing their Country have a huge sense of pride, if they haven’t they could of simply turned it down.

Not sure how you can state neither of their players are “Never going to win a Gold”
I was surprised not to see Lahiri there though. Instead they have some chap called Bhullar that I've not heard of, and is not far off propping the leaderboard up.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I was surprised not to see Lahiri there though. Instead they have some chap called Bhullar that I've not heard of, and is not far off propping the leaderboard up.
That’s my point, Countries almost have no say in who goes.

Holland have their own stricter qualification and initially were sending no one, Joost Luiten took them to court in Holland as he was 40th in the ranking list, and, he won his case as he had qualified under the Olympic rules and was then denied a place as the court ruling was too late and the Olympic committee had brought a replacement in.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree that a team event would have made more sense, maybe even a pairs matchplay knockout or something like that. That would have made it a bit different to the normal golf events, plus made it more Olympicky with country v country. Currently something is wrong when USA get twice the competitors that everyone else gets, including the two best players in the world
A pairs knockout would have been good fun but they could have gone the whole hog and done long drive or speed golf/5 club challenge - something a bit different to a standard 4 day individual comp

Swango1980

Visit site
Long drive is actually much more akin to the typical Olympic event!
The golf decathalon

1. Long Drive
2. 9-hole putting challenge
3. Nearest the pin on par 3
4. Flop shot challenge (you can choose the height of the obstacle you are prepared to clear)
5. Sand Save challenge
6. Speed golf - 18 holes (endurance)
7. Speed golf - 1 hole (power)
8. Chipping challenge
9. Pitching challenge
10. Bullseye challenge (aiming for targets on a range, like archery)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Not wishing to assume I know what goes on in Homer's mind(!) But it's a pretty common rhetorical device to indicate extreme unlikelihood which seems entirely justified in this instance . I'm sure that there are plenty of bookies who would be delighted to have the same argument with you.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Not wishing to assume I know what goes on in Homer's mind(!) But it's a pretty common rhetorical device to indicate extreme unlikelihood which seems entirely justified in this instance . I'm sure that there are plenty of bookies who would be delighted to have the same argument with you.
Sports would be pointless without hope!

The Dutch Olympic committee stated they didn’t put sportsmen/women forward who they believed would finish outside the top 8! Regardless of them meeting the Olympic criteria.

Not sure if that helps or hinders😂😂

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Sports would be pointless without hope!

The Dutch Olympic committee stated they didn’t put sportsmen/women forward who they believed would finish outside the top 8! Regardless of them meeting the Olympic criteria.

Not sure if that helps or hinders😂😂
But the Dutch sent a convicted child rapist so 🤷‍♂️😬