Olympics - Paris 2024

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Regarding the tv coverage, it’s about time the BBC got with the times and started some sort of centralised coverage where they can cut to sports that have something important happening, a bit like the NFL Game Day show does. Watching people in a studio labouring over the same points for hours got very tedious, specially when you knew there were other sports going on. Yeah the red button exists but even that was only one sport at a time.
I’m not sure if they can with limited tv rights but if they could somehow emulate the Radio 5 Olympic format it would be a start 👌

BBC are very restricted to what they can show

It’s only two sports at a time hence why main coverage on 1 and then red button

It’s the same with Eurosport who had two sports as well

They had the same as bbc most of the time

The BBC can’t just go jumping around - they take the two main feeds that Discovery broadcast

When BBC had the rights they had 2 dedicated channels and all the others on red button

The BBC broadcast what they could

It will be the same with the Paralympics and Winter Olympics

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
BBC are very restricted to what they can show

It’s only two sports at a time hence why main coverage on 1 and then red button

It’s the same with Eurosport who had two sports as well

They had the same as bbc most of the time

The BBC can’t just go jumping around - they take the two main feeds that Discovery broadcast

When BBC had the rights they had 2 dedicated channels and all the others on red button

The BBC broadcast what they could

It will be the same with the Paralympics and Winter Olympics
Why is that though. Why are they restricted to 2 sports per channel. It makes no sense if the BBC in particular have other channels (BBC3 and BBC4) available

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given that the BBC has been outbid for the rights to show the full Olympics, and is contractually limited in the amount live broadcast it can show, I am of the opinion that it needs to rethink its length/duration/type of coverage. Watching people talk about sport is not a substitute for watching sport itself. Was very disappointed with the BBC coverage this time - very fed up with turning on/over only to find people still yakking away, again, or even worse, switching from the red button to mainstream only to find they are now showing what I've just watched ? So, come on BBC, accept you've been outbid and stop pretending you haven't.

(And yes, I could have paid for Discovery+ - but I didn't).

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Given that the BBC has been outbid for the rights to show the full Olympics, and is contractually limited in the amount live broadcast it can show, I am of the opinion that it needs to rethink its length/duration/type of coverage. Watching people talk about sport is not a substitute for watching sport itself. Was very disappointed with the BBC coverage this time - very fed up with turning on/over only to find people still yakking away, again, or even worse, switching from the red button to mainstream only to find they are now showing what I've just watched ? So, come on BBC, accept you've been outbid and stop pretending you haven't.

(And yes, I could have paid for Discovery+ - but I didn't).
I don’t understand why people can’t see that they are limited in what they can show

Discovery allow them two links , if the sport isn’t happening behind on that link they they will chat

They can only deal with what they are given by Discovery

It was the same with Tokyo and it was the same with Eurosport and would be the same with anyone other broadcaster in the UK if they got the rights from Discovery

Either that or pay a couple of billion

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand why people can’t see that they are limited in what they can show

Discovery allow them two links , if the sport isn’t happening behind on that link they they will chat

They can only deal with what they are given by Discovery

It was the same with Tokyo and it was the same with Eurosport and would be the same with anyone other broadcaster in the UK if they got the rights from Discovery

Either that or pay a couple of billion
That may be true for the live feeds but they could have shown a lot more highlights than they did instead of all the waffle and pointless video montages on a select few athletes.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That may be true for the live feeds but they could have shown a lot more highlights than they did instead of all the waffle and pointless video montages on a select few athletes.

Highlights were shown every night before they finished

Highlights were also on the BBC website and Red buttons for any event that had a medal etc

Unless people want the BBC to spend such a huge amount then it’s going to be limited

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've started to listen to a richard osman podcast about the media and he covered this subject. @Arthur Wedge is spot on, they no longer have full rights, only a fraction. I think maybe they should have made more of this instead of pretending they had everything and this then leading to confusion and disappointment.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've started to listen to a richard osman podcast about the media and he covered this subject. @Arthur Wedge is spot on, they no longer have full rights, only a fraction. I think maybe they should have made more of this instead of pretending they had everything and this then leading to confusion and disappointment.
The BBC not being totally upfront and honest with everything?.....I'm shocked......... No, I'm not.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The BBC not being totally upfront and honest with everything?.....I'm shocked......... No, I'm not.

They highlighted exactly how the event could be watched

And they also highlighted this

RichA

Visit site
I like BBC sports coverage but they did my head in a bit with the Olympics. When they were between events and the waffle started I'd go to Eurosport on the laptop to watch some actual sport. Sometimes the BBC coverage would go back to showing sport and it would be something I'd seen live on Eurosport half an hour earlier. The BBC presenters would be giving the impression that they were going to a live event. Irritating.

Mandofred

Visit site

They highlighted exactly how the event could be watched

And they also highlighted this
Arthur...you are taking things waaaaaay too seriously. I was just making a snarky comment about the BBC who....in my opinion....is not unbiased. Not really Olympics related....just in general. You can think they are as pure as the wind driven snow if you wish...... I watched VERY little of the Olympics, as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally - if the BBC could only show what Eurosport could then I'd ask why the hell I'd change to Eurosport 1 or 2 and see something NOT being broadcast on the BBC? I probably spent 70% watching either Eurosport 1/2 than BBC. The red button/iplayer quite clunky.

Anyhow. When we got 2012 I asked myself what could I take up and get good enough to compete. Slightly tongue in cheek but not entirely. Decided archery might be doable - or not after trying it!!!

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whatever the restrictions I found the BBC coverage hard work. I'm only really interested in the athletics and hearing Michael Johnson and co being drowned out by the noise from the crowd in the stadium got a bit tedious. In the end I just made a note of the schedule times for each event and tuned in a couple of minutes early.

Mandofred

Visit site
Whatever the restrictions I found the BBC coverage hard work. I'm only really interested in the athletics and hearing Michael Johnson and co being drowned out by the noise from the crowd in the stadium got a bit tedious. In the end I just made a note of the schedule times for each event and tuned in a couple of minutes early.
Kind of the same as me. I recorded pretty well everything, but only watched a few of the athletic events....and even then, usually just the last half. I've run a bunch of marathons, but who really wants to watch 2+hrs of someone running....and running? Watched a few minutes of the UK girl winning the trampoline.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Uzbekistan.
What a performance! Gold 8, Silver 2, Bronze 3. Way ahead of other nations in that part of the globe.
Don't know much about the place so I looked it up.
Land area similar to UK. Population about the same as Belgium and Netherlands combined.

All their medals came from these sports.
Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Taekwondo, Weightlifting.
Events for tough strong people.
Two women got medals - Gold in Judo, Silver in Taekwondo.
There were 5 medals for men in boxing - all golds!

Nearly half of our 65 medals involved sitting on something - horse, bike, boat.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Uzbekistan.
What a performance! Gold 8, Silver 2, Bronze 3. Way ahead of other nations in that part of the globe.
Don't know much about the place so I looked it up.
Land area similar to UK. Population about the same as Belgium and Netherlands combined.

All their medals came from these sports.
Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Taekwondo, Weightlifting.
Events for tough strong people.
Two women got medals - Gold in Judo, Silver in Taekwondo.
There were 5 medals for men in boxing - all golds!

Nearly half of our 65 medals involved sitting on something - horse, bike, boat.
Rule 1
Don't mess with someone from Uzbekistan

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

That’s some big steaming numbers

So for the next Olympics they are removing break dancing

But adding

Cricket 👎

Softball - not a surprise

Flag football ?!