Olympics - Paris 2024

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I forgot about the segment of the next host. Now having flashbacks of BJ waving the flag, Becks kicking the ball from a bus, and Leona Lewis growing higher and higher.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So what do we think of the GB and NI team performance? Fewest golds since Athens but if you measure in the same way as some of the US media we came 3rd on total medals won. Think it needs to be taken in context and a lot of hard luck stories (rowing, athletics, cycling etc)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
So what do we think of the GB and NI team performance? Fewest golds since Athens but if you measure in the same way as some of the US media we came 3rd on total medals won. Think it needs to be taken in context and a lot of hard luck stories (rowing, athletics, cycling etc)
It was very good, I would have liked to have beaten France at their own Olympics to become the highest European country but there were a few dodgy decisions (the double trap being the worst imo) and we seemed to have a heck of a lot of 4th places. Overall I think it was successful.

Apropos nothing Tom Cruise is 62! 🫡

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was very good, I would have liked to have beaten France at their own Olympics to become the highest European country but there were a few dodgy decisions (the double trap being the worst imo) and we seemed to have a heck of a lot of 4th places. Overall I think it was successful.

Apropos nothing Tom Cruise is 62! 🫡
I thought a lot of the 4th places were so unlucky. I also though the judging in some events especially the boxing were a travesty

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nothing like a bit of optimism with around a quarter of Brits confident that they could qualify for the next Olympics.....10m Air Rifle is the one we consider ourselves most confident in qualifying for closely followed by Archery and then Badminton.

I like that fact that the 100m sprint is as high as 6th on the list of sports....we really do consider ourselves a pretty rapid nation!!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that complete? Then the 100m is the most likely.

Is it compete? Then it would have to be a talent sport rather than a fitness one.
Who knows, putting on some tights and moving to Nottingham and there you go and get yourself an archery medal.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing like a bit of optimism with around a quarter of Brits confident that they could qualify for the next Olympics.....10m Air Rifle is the one we consider ourselves most confident in qualifying for closely followed by Archery and then Badminton.

I like that fact that the 100m sprint is as high as 6th on the list of sports....we really do consider ourselves a pretty rapid nation!!

Replace the word 'optimism' with the word 'delusion' and I think its probably not far off :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Should get some of them on the roadworks they might go a bit faster.

Seeing these athletes in the flesh most would change their mind imo.😂

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I've really enjoyed the Olympics in Paris, think the French did a great job in hosting.
The Swimming and Track events are what make the the Olympics for me.
A small shout out to Megan Keith from Inverness who finished last in the 10,000m, but first Olympian from Inverness Harriers to compete at a games.
Used to run here and use it for Pre-Season training as well, hopefully she has inspired the next generation coming through.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a great Olympics but part if me feels that the athletics was over took quickly but the pool events seemed to keep going. I also felt that the cycling was over pretty quickly as well. May be no different, maybe just me.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Love the Olympics

The three biggest sports at the event are the swimming , cycling and athletics with other sports entwined

The first week the focus is the swimming , then the second it’s the athletics and think it’s good that the others are mixed in around during the day when the big finals are in the evening at both the pool and athletics track

That make up is pretty much standard these days

It’s also great that as it finishes that the headline makers are all mainly from sports that don’t get any headlines but we know the participants have worked hard for their rewards - shooting , trampoline, triathlons, rowing , climbing

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regarding the tv coverage, it’s about time the BBC got with the times and started some sort of centralised coverage where they can cut to sports that have something important happening, a bit like the NFL Game Day show does. Watching people in a studio labouring over the same points for hours got very tedious, specially when you knew there were other sports going on. Yeah the red button exists but even that was only one sport at a time.
I’m not sure if they can with limited tv rights but if they could somehow emulate the Radio 5 Olympic format it would be a start 👌

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regarding the tv coverage, it’s about time the BBC got with the times and started some sort of centralised coverage where they can cut to sports that have something important happening, a bit like the NFL Game Day show does. Watching people in a studio labouring over the same points for hours got very tedious, specially when you knew there were other sports going on. Yeah the red button exists but even that was only one sport at a time.
I’m not sure if they can with limited tv rights but if they could somehow emulate the Radio 5 Olympic format it would be a start 👌

I agree with that, the NFL Red Zone show is a great example of how to cover a weekend of matches. I am hoping that now that TNT have rights to show every single live Premiership Rugby game they may try something similar.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I though BBC 3 and 4 would have been ideal platforms to show some of the coverage. Seems strange that BBC can dedicate both BBC 1 and 2 to the tennis but can't find a way of using their channels better