Olympics - Paris 2024

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How to sort a gender problem out !
Just ban the sport then you don’t have a problem.

That’s a poor decision imo given some of the Mickey Mouse sport in the games.
Something to do with potential corruption within the Governing body...or something like that....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Mr Wedge is misunderstanding my point. I know the BBC are limited in what they can show. I  know they no longer have blanket access. They only get what they've bought off WBC. And I don't expect them to be paying the ludicrous sums of money involved in getting the full access. So, I think they should accept that fact and stop providing wall-to-wall coverage - as much of what they are providing is just 'talking heads' . They should stop pretending that they are the bees knees - because they no longer are - because they no can be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It makes you wonder why the BBC continue to flatter to deceive that they have full coverage when it is obvious they don't. I know the Olympics was part of the "crown jewels" and had to be free to air but they aren't showing it all and the coverage itself is atrocious especially some of the presenters. Personally I'd love to see Sky get the rights at some point. They know how to do sports and there would be far more coverage with better presenting

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It makes you wonder why the BBC continue to flatter to deceive that they have full coverage when it is obvious they don't. I know the Olympics was part of the "crown jewels" and had to be free to air but they aren't showing it all and the coverage itself is atrocious especially some of the presenters. Personally I'd love to see Sky get the rights at some point. They know how to do sports and there would be far more coverage with better presenting
Funnily enough, the BBC's Olympics coverage reminded me of Sky's golf coverage 😉
Waffle, waffle 😅

sunshine

Visit site
Love the Olympics

The three biggest sports at the event are the swimming , cycling and athletics with other sports entwined

The first week the focus is the swimming , then the second it’s the athletics and think it’s good that the others are mixed in around during the day when the big finals are in the evening at both the pool and athletics track

That make up is pretty much standard these days

It’s also great that as it finishes that the headline makers are all mainly from sports that don’t get any headlines but we know the participants have worked hard for their rewards - shooting , trampoline, triathlons, rowing , climbing

Is the cycling big? There are certainly a lot of events but they are mainly quite niche.

Gymnastics, football and tennis are surely more popular?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the cycling big? There are certainly a lot of events but they are mainly quite niche.

Gymnastics, football and tennis are surely more popular?

You have to guess that Football is a nice money maker foe the organiers though. Plenty of matches, large capacity, most countries have at least one or two suitable stadiums. Great way of taking money off people in the ballot and giving them something to attend.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I just saw on Ian Fraser's YouTube channel that BOXING has been deleted from the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

Boxing was my PRIMARY interest sport in the Olympics since 1960 with Cassius Clay and Nino Benvenuti being featured.
Didn't know when and where it was on during the past two or three Games, but prior to that, it was my favorite.
Haven't watched Olympics for a while now, I guess.

I've seen at the very least a half-dozen or more former Olympic Gold Medal Winners
on boxing cards that I attended live in Boston, New York, Miami, and Las Vegas.

sunshine

Visit site
Don’t count the likes of football and tennis’s within the Olympics

But year cycling is big - and that includes the outdoor stuff as well

Road cycling is big, but isn’t that similar to sports like football and tennis? The biggest event is the Tour de France not the olympics.

Track cycling is extremely niche. There are only 6 velodromes in the UK. How many people do you know who pop down to their local velodrome at the weekend to do a bit of keirin? The sport gained a lot of attention due to British success in recent olympics, but that was down to a clever / visionary / cynical strategy to target weak sports to boost the medal haul.

sunshine

Visit site
I can't see the point of it. You might as well have a 1000m jumping or 500m hopping or something. Would be like having a F1 race but the cars are limited to 30mph. Worthless.
Swimming is exactly the same. Freestyle is the only race that determines who is the fastest. The other strokes are just slower versions of getting from start to finish. Imagine having a backwards running race.