Olympics - Paris 2024

D-S

Visit site
Sorry I’m not sure why there needs to be events culled 🤷‍♂️

What’s the reasoning - the events within the swimming are the same as you get in worlds etc

Why do they need cutting down
I believe there are issues with space for the athletes villages as they will struggle to accommodate more and more people unless you make the games longer.
In LA they are using UCLA student accommodation to make the games more sustainable but as the students go back in August the games will be two weeks earlier leading to clashes with the Open and Wimbledon.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry I’m not sure why there needs to be events culled 🤷‍♂️

What’s the reasoning - the events within the swimming are the same as you get in worlds etc

Why do they need cutting down

as for Boxing - that’s a governing body issue
That is incorrect:

"Differences between Swimming World Championships and Olympics. Some events are conducted at the Swimming World Championships that are not in the Olympics. These are 50m butterfly, 50m breaststroke and 50m backstroke for men and women, and a mixed 4x100m freestyle relay."

I'm sure the cycling events are different as well

Crumplezone

Visit site
Just back from watching the final round of the women's olympic golf. Golf National is designed for spectators, so great place to watch. Saw some great golf. Place was heaving with spectators from all around the world. Was crazy from the French fans when Celine Boutier was teeing off. Volunteers were awesome directing people to shuttle buses and venues. Went into Paris on the Sunday hoping there'd be something going on relating to the closing ceremony, but just lots of people wandering around looking for something going on relating to the closing ceremony. Great atmosphere though. Met a weight lifting silver medallist from Uzbekistan hanging around the banks of the Seine.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That is incorrect:

"Differences between Swimming World Championships and Olympics. Some events are conducted at the Swimming World Championships that are not in the Olympics. These are 50m butterfly, 50m breaststroke and 50m backstroke for men and women, and a mixed 4x100m freestyle relay."

I'm sure the cycling events are different as well

That’s because these events are at the short course WC

PaulMdj

Visit site
I don't think you need to take Orikoru's too seriously - unless he is making a late bid to take over at the IOC when the current bloke steps aside later this year :ROFLMAO:
I wasn’t, but every now then you wonder if there’s a serious discussion for once.🤷‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wasn’t, but every now then you wonder if there’s a serious discussion for once.🤷‍♂️
I do think the Olympics is massively bloated with way more events than it needs - but mine is the opinion of an outsider looking in, someone who doesn't watch or care about the Olympics anyway. If you were a big fan you'd be wholly invested and probably think each and every event is sacred. And as Neilds correctly points out, we ain't going to change anything spitballing in here - it's just opinions. (y)

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Just back from watching the final round of the women's olympic golf. Golf National is designed for spectators, so great place to watch. Saw some great golf. Place was heaving with spectators from all around the world. Was crazy from the French fans when Celine Boutier was teeing off. Volunteers were awesome directing people to shuttle buses and venues. Went into Paris on the Sunday hoping there'd be something going on relating to the closing ceremony, but just lots of people wandering around looking for something going on relating to the closing ceremony. Great atmosphere though. Met a weight lifting silver medallist from Uzbekistan hanging around the banks of the Seine.
You should have gone to the park de La villette, where many countries had a team “house” hosting events with big screens. Loads of fan parks all over the city.

I was in Paris over the weekend too, went to the athletics and it was awesome. My 3rd games. Amazing atmosphere, the French really got into it and the city and stadium was so cosmopolitan and welcoming. So sad to compare with the racist and xenophobic riots back home 😢

sunshine

Visit site
Well, there is 1500m as normal people race, and there is 1609m for the weirdos ;-)

I find swimming the worst.

50, 100, 200, 400, 800 in 4 different strokes, and everything 200 and over gets also raced in different strokes during the same race by the same swimmer.

I wonder what Bolt would have run 100m backwards or bunny hop in.
Boxing and other fighting events are the worst. How can you have different categories for people who are worse but weigh less?

You’re not as good as this guy, but we will still give you a gold medal because you’re a bit smaller. What a joke. It’s like having different basketball medals for people of different heights.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't agree with professionals in the Olympics anyway, so golf out, tennis out, basketball out unless it goes back to amateur status - I love the fact that the US go mad on the basketball, when surely they were nailed on as the winners with the team being picked from the NBA

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't agree with professionals in the Olympics anyway, so golf out, tennis out, basketball out unless it goes back to amateur status - I love the fact that the US go mad on the basketball, when surely they were nailed on as the winners with the team being picked from the NBA
The US almost lost, which would have been fine with me. But there are quite a few players on the other countries teams that play in the NBA and other professional leagues around the world. Even the American college system is sliding towards athletes being able to make money from their sports. There is a gymnast in Louisiana? that was making a $million a year.....while she was still in school. These days.....what is a professional? The lines have blurred. Almost anybody who is any good is making money off endorsements etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What about football. A lot of professional players in that too