Olympics - Paris 2024

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our silver in the Triathlon relay has been reviewed and now it is a bronze! they had another look at the photo finish after originally declaring the result. Been some very dodgy officiating at these games
Especially in the shooting.
Don’t think I would have just accepted that given it was for gold.

TV replay showed quite clearly she hit it.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn’t we have the same discussion in golf a couple of years ago? Armchair referees at home overruling event referees who don’t have the TV pictures.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Didn’t we have the same discussion in golf a couple of years ago? Armchair referees at home overruling event referees who don’t have the TV pictures.
My main comment revolves around announcing the result then going back and changing it. Can you imagine how Lyles would have reacted if they changed the photo finish after the 100m last night when he was halfway round his lap of honour - I suspect he would have wrecked the place!

Swango1980

Visit site
Apparently, in the 100m final, it was a world record for a 2nd place finish, and a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th placed finish!
Just shows how good Bolt was.
Not sure is was? In 2012 Blake came 2nd with 9.75, Gatlin 3rd 9.79. (2nd in 2024 was 9.79).

But, surely got to be the tightest spread from 1st to 8th, and quickest time for last few positions?

Makes you appreciate Bolt even more, who would have run away from the field in his prime. Maybe a few runners had all but given up in despair, with Bolt able to do a lap of honour between finishing and the 8th positioned player finishing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a nutter trying to get on the track just as they were lining up. The security staff got him before he made it so that is why they were held.
Strange that the coverage or commentators weren’t aware of this and made mention of the long hold time to that horrible music….

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would ask “ why havnt event refs got the pictures to decide a life changing decision.”?

It’s not as if it’s a big thing only Olympic gold. And they don’t have any tech 😳

D-S

Visit site
Speed climbing gets added to the list of Olympic sports which make you wonder how on earth they can do that. Running up a vertical wall probably faster than I could walk it on the flat.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Simone Biles roadshow is getting a bit tiring now, it's like there's no other competitors in the gymnastics.

Have to agree. The Olympics creates its own stories and I find it less than ideal when the media covering it go into any event with a story that they want to tell and push that down your throats irrespective of what may actually be happening on the day.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Speed climbing gets added to the list of Olympic sports which make you wonder how on earth they can do that. Running up a vertical wall probably faster than I could walk it on the flat.

As an ex-climber, eons ago, I love watching them. My last two years was free climbing - no ropes, slings, chocks etc. Watching those guys is amazing!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My new favourite sport now also got a dodgy penalty ruling.

I've got bad vibes about the athletics too. Too many (ok mainly the sprinters) think they're the dogs danglies and in fact they're prima donnas and not good enough on the world stage. I hope we get the gold in Women's 800m and Men's 1500m but otherwise struggling a bit to get engaged. Actually KJT if she's in the right frame of mind...

Getting nervous about the women's hockey...come on girls...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an ex-climber, eons ago, I love watching them. My last two years was free climbing - no ropes, slings, chocks etc. Watching those guys is amazing!
Hmm. As ex-climber also, I found myself a bit indifferent to it. Appreciate their skill & athleticism but there's no jeopardy. Vertical gymnastics would be a better description I think. Still enjoyed watching though.

D-S

Visit site
Hmm. As ex-climber also, I found myself a bit indifferent to it. Appreciate their skill & athleticism but there's no jeopardy. Vertical gymnastics would be a better description I think. Still enjoyed watching though.
So you’d prefer it without the safety rope?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not loving the Olympics right now. Terrible decision in the shooting yesterday. Very dodgy triathlon finish today. Very dodgy penalty in the kayak cross semi and final. Stick tackle not given in the hockey and the Dutch goal stands.

It's like bad VAR but multiple times a day :cry:

If it's dodgy footie decisions, or disappointing results/performances, then it's hopefully only once or twice a week. A few times a day is giving me anxiety!!